Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric parking brake problem

BillGiraffe

I've got a problem with my 2010 Avensis electric parking brake.When I activate it it works fine then when I release it the drivers side binds on and the only way to get the brake released is to manually push down the parking brake lever at the back of the caliper in behind the rear wheel using grips .The parking brake on the other side releases fine.Has any one any experience of this?

Check out you rear calipers

20 hours ago, HartmannX said:

Check out you rear calipers

I agree with Morten - check that both calipers are working freely and equally. I view the following site which shows the EPB unit internals. It should pull evenly by design - 

http://www.surreyelectronics.com/leaflets/TOYOTA AVENSIS ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM.pdf

I am not sure if the the cables can be detached, greased or any other maintenance can be done. The main unit should be securely fitted to the mounting and not move.  

Cheers Konrad and Hartmann, Ill try a new caliper on later this week,fingers crossed!!

Remember to replace in pairs, left and right at the same time.

10 out of 10 Hartmann and Conrad!! New caliper fitted today and thankfully brake working perfectly.Cheers again chaps.

22 hours ago, BillGiraffe said:

10 out of 10 Hartmann and Conrad!! New caliper fitted today and thankfully brake working perfectly.Cheers again chaps.

Hi Bill, Glad you fixed the problem. Have you checked the brake balance at a friendly MOT station?

Since you replaced the faulty caliper, have you examined why it was sticky, plus own much was the replacement? It would be useful to know the cause and if it is preventable or cured.

• Like 1

I've not got the bill yet,but I do know that the mechanic found that the rubber boot was burst on the old caliper probably letting in water and sticking it.I'll chase the mechanic up this week as he never seems in too much of a hurry to get paid for some reason!!And let you guys know the total cost.

I got my bill in today for my new caliper and labour,£174 Inc vat.not a bad price I thought,although it is not a genuine Toyota part it is sourced from a reputable local car parts distributer so it should be decent quality.

• Like 1