Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine compartment cleaning

iangame

Guys, I have a 10 plate Auris hybrid, 77k miles and thinking of selling. Pleased with this car but the basic trim level makes me want an newer one with a nicer cabin finish. Under the bonnet, it looks a real scruffy mess - see attached shot. It has always been this way since I bought it 3 years ago but I am reluctant to try spraying anything round that area due to the hybrid aspect. Just wondering if there is a service that does this or is it possible to DIY safely?

Thanks

IMAG0909.jpg

Hi Catlover, many thanks for that link, much appreciated and I will follow those with interest.

Hi Ian, funny you just selling your Auris and I have just bought mine, a 2010 model as well.

My engine compartment is as bad as yours, that's why I knew about the video on You Tube, I looked for help and You Tube has plenty of help, more the Prius which has the same engine/drive as the Auris as you probably know.

This morning I weighed up the job, said I would do the degreasing another day but frustrated with all the muck under the bonnet. So I got a bottle of Elbow Grease (yes you can now by elbow grease off the shelf) , sprayed certain parts, cut an old towel up, and set too. The engine compartment looks a lot better, and not used any water yet. I am going to do it with a pressure washer  (low pressure)  in the near future but it probably wont need as much pressure wash as before. Obviously going to make sure electrical connections have WD40 spray and well wrapped in foil. I got some tyre and trim spray to put a nice finish on, but for now I am well happy with a cleaner eng. compartment just doing a "dry" clean.

A dirty engine is an honest engine.

A potential buyer might be put off if the engine is overly clean. They might think you're hiding an oil leak etc.

I understand what you saying Michael, but when you look under a bonnet most things you see are plastic trim and plastic fluid holders like windscreen washers, engine coolants (2 in the Hybrid), air filter boxes, engine covers. Not likely to have oil on them (unless the engine is praying it everywhere). Its mostly dust and road grime plus clumsy spills topping up the engine oil etc.  Lots of people make a good living car detailing, some of that will be for people selling, so there must be a demand for it. Personally, I think a buyer wants to see a nice tidy car, inside and out, and that includes under the hood (hood/bonnet sorry, been watching too many American You Tube videos).

I'd just clean all plastic and dirty bits with a rag soacked in wd 40

Forgot to mention.... Elbow Grease costs £1 for 500ml spray from Poundlands.....just got another 2 today. Good stuff for around the kitchen and if you spill greasy food on your clothes etc (must remember to wear my bib !)

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, we have a Poundland in town, I will get some tomorrow.

Just been working on mine again, sprayed most again with Elbow Grease (engine was warm as we been out today), then, rather then use a power washer, I got a pump up garden spray, put cold water in, adjusted the spray, and carefully went round all bits where Elbow Grease was. More old towel to dry off. Leaving overnight now to dry out proper then I will be spraying with Tyre and Trim shine.

I just wish I had taken a before photo, but similar to your before photo Ian. I will take an after photo and see if I can post it up on here.

Taken a photo this morning after I applied the Tyre and Trim shine. Just a point there Ian, I would recommend buying a spray can of the stuff - will be easier to apply then what I did. I bought a bottle of the stuff then had to find a means of spraying it, couldn't get the spray fine enough so there was some mopping of excess to be done.

The second photo shows the whole engine compartment, now need to know how to clean the "electric box" bottom right of the picture. Its an alloy and has "corrosion" that needs to be cleaned off to look smart. Any ideas??

Auris Eng Clean 2.JPG

Auris Eng Compaertment 3.JPG

Hi Joe, thanks for posting these and the tips. It looks really good I must say. As for the Alu box I agree mine looks really pitted with corrosion just like you say. I think we have to be quite careful as the warnings I've seen on wheel cleaners warn against uncoated alloy use.

I looked in my Poundland and could not find that cleaner so had a look in Wilko's but not sure what is suitable, I don't want to damage the top alloy cover/case but I will have a go on the plastic bits with Tyre and Trim formulae.

I will post the 'after' shots...eventually got a load of minor household tasks to cover first.

Hi Ian, Elbow grease was in the general household products, its sold primarily for kitchen cleaning greasy areas. Its a 500ml and yellow coloured fluid.

The video I put up earlier from You Tube, the guy in USA said use any general purpose household degreaser, its just I found Elb.Grease to work well. I have found Cillit Bang! to be very powerful as wel, another option.

I'm another old schooler who prefers to see everything under the bonnet (except the plastic bits) looking honestly dusty. But I gotta say, that's a nice job there!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links