Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Sport Tourer 1.6 exhaust sound

Søren Hansen

Hi all. 

Here is another question from a New Auris owner. 😊

Is it just me... or is the exhaust soundt on a sport Tourer 1.6 valvematic quite noticeable compared to most other cars. Especially when starting it in the morning there is a clear exhaust rumble. But also when at operating temp. It is clear when driving with the window down. Is this normal...or do I have a problem with the exhaust? 

Thanks all. And have a great day 😊

Søren 

Whilst Toyota don't accept there is a fault the exhaust is working as designed, they did accept that some people may find the noise too "sporty"  and based on a genuine customer complaint Toyota did make a redesigned Tailpipe available.

There is a bulletin for the 1.6 1ZR engined cars only ref: EG-0005T-0114 however not knowing what warranty your market offered i don't know if you could make a claim you may also struggle as the car has been on the road for approximately 3 years without previous complaint. 

LOL, I quite like the throaty burble from my 64 reg 1.6. :cool: I'm a bit less keen on the way the engine seems to over-rev slightly on the over-run for the first minute or two - it makes me look/sound like I've got no talent for throttle control! - but that's all over by the time I've done half a mile. Happy with the whole set-up.

Probably the over revs for the first couple minutes only happens when the engine is cold.  In days long ago there was a choke on the car which enriched the petrol in the carb so a cold engine would run "smoothly" from cold. Today a computer does the same job without the driver even thinking about it.

• 3 years later...
On 5/25/2017 at 8:21 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Whilst Toyota don't accept there is a fault the exhaust is working as designed, they did accept that some people may find the noise too "sporty"  and based on a genuine customer complaint Toyota did make a redesigned Tailpipe available.

There is a bulletin for the 1.6 1ZR engined cars only ref: EG-0005T-0114 however not knowing what warranty your market offered i don't know if you could make a claim you may also struggle as the car has been on the road for approximately 3 years without previous complaint. 

Hi Devon Aygo,

So do you need an extended warranty to get this fixed?

Thanks

3 hours ago, roks said:

Hi Devon Aygo,

So do you need an extended warranty to get this fixed?

Thanks

Extended warranty will not fix it as it is not a fault, the car is operating as intended however some people didn't like the way it sounded, so if a customer was unhappy during manufacturers warranty Toyota would pay for an alternative to be installed.

The technical service bulletin covering this concern was very specific that :

1. The exhaust is not faulty

2. Repairs were only accepted with proof of a customer complaint.

Thanks Devon Aygo for your reply.

2 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

during manufacturers warranty

So its no point me pursuing this as my car is out of warranty?

Jemca Edgware wasted 2hours of my time and told be bunch of bs to sell me a extended warranty.

If I was to replace it my self, what year of the donor car will have a normal exhaust, 2014 on wards?

You would have to find a UK car that had received the modification as it was not corrected in UK production until May 2015 onward builds which for the UK was end of 1.6 production as it was replaced by the 1.2Turbo.

I'm late to the party as usual. Cold start always sound noisy. My 2009 Avensis Tourer 1.8 Valvematic sounds loud on first cold start up, then get quiet as it warms up. I sometimes think the car has a blown exhaust, then later when I park up on my drive and step out, nice quiet idle. My previous '98 Mk1 was the same, so I am not too fused. I remember replacing the exhaust on the Mk1, and it was louder than the original! I took some adjustments to dampen vibrations and make the car smooth.
To think there are some who like loud exhausts. 
Best to compare with a similar model.

Hey Conrad,

I get the cold start rough noise and the quieter idle after a drive but there's always this annoying boom sound/resonance when drive along, especially summer time with windows down. It feels like as if though there is a leak somewhere, but the doughnut gaskets look clean good condition, although I think I'll take another look at the back box

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

find a UK car that had received the modification as it was not corrected in UK production until May 2015

Devon Aygo, anyways to identify the modified ones? I thought I read one of the other thread, they changed the exhaust from end of 2013.

There are couple in eBay, guy doesn't know what year the donor car was, but they look different as in the back box and the tailpipe is not painted black like mine.

Roks, when you inspect under the car, make sure the aluminium shields are in good condition and mounted securely. Even though my car is different, I had a shield corroded then rest on top of the rear silencer. I repaired it using large washers to keep in place. When looking at the exhaust, look at the joints and welding seams.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links