Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Volkswagen Owner Wishing To Jump Ship

AtlanticSpan

Hi Folks, 

I have always owned Volkswagens ever since I learned to drive, but I am rapidly becoming disenchanted with the brand, both from a reliability point of view and from the way the dealerships treat their customers.  I recently owned a Mk7 Golf with one of those pesky diesel engines and whilst the car was really lovely to drive, I was constantly having to take it back to the disinterested dealer to sort out minor faults; usually electrical in origin.

Basically, I want to own a brand of car that if serviced regularly will be as reliable as any machine can be,and I want to engage with a dealer who does not give the impression of reluctantly doing you a favour.

I have looked at both Kia and Hyundai,and whilst they offer long warranties, I have heard mixed comments from friends about their after-sales service. Which brings me to Toyota.

From what I have read,their cars tend to be very reliable and the dealerships very helpful and supportive of their customers even after the deal is done!

As I tend not to cover the miles I once did,I have been looking at the Toyota Yaris,and whilst I suspect it's not up to the  sophistication of a Golf, I would be prepared to forgo that, for a reliable mode of transport. 

I would be most grateful for your views on this car both the good and the bad.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Hi there,

We have had 6 2nd hand Toyota cars since 1995 and in that time, not had anything drastically expensive to get repaired.

Only changed cars because we felt after they were over 12 years old, something newer would be more economical.

So that latest car we have in the family is a 2013 Yaris hybrid.

Motoring journalists don't like Toyota cars, saying there are boring and not involving enough.

What they fail to say is, you can be sure they are still running well long after some of competition has died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks very much for your reply.

It's no joke that the Toyota technicians have clean overalls :laugh:

• Like 2

I'd be very wary of buying a new Toyota fitted with their TSS (Toyota Safety Sense) system.

See the lengthy discussion about it on these forums.

20 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I'd be very wary of buying a new Toyota fitted with their TSS (Toyota Safety Sense) system.

20 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Thank you for the tip.

31 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Pretty sure that Toyota & their suppliers (Continental) will work it out. Strangely enough yesterday on another forum (think it was HJ) I came across a complaint from a VW owner about their equivalent system ...

They are all going to have it - it's another box to tick in the spec. sheet & it gets them more stars in the NCAP safety test.

• Like 4

Any new Toyota you buy now has it as standard.

I'm very biased :laugh:, but seriously look at the Yaris Hybrid. You can buy mine for more than a new one if you want it. :laugh:

Technologically speaking, not sure what the Golf has, but I don't think you'll be wanting for anything in a Yaris. :cool:

• Like 1

Meant to say that the Yaris is usually considered to be one of the most reliable cars that you can buy. It's not meant to compete with the Golf though, more the Polo.

• Like 1

The Yaris would be a good choice...my wife is on her second consecutive Yaris (a 2013 5 door) and is totally happy with it..as she was with her first one...both have proved utterly reliable with only the usual servicing costs applying.

I had a Toyota Celica for 2 years too and it also performed faultlessly. I now have a Toyota Estima MPV (import) which again is proving utterly reliable.

So yes, I'm a Toyota fan I guess...but with good reason I feel.

As for main dealers.?...well, like so many things in life, there are good and bad..irrelevant of the marque.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Neil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Any new Toyota you buy now has it as standard.

I'm very biased :laugh:, but seriously look at the Yaris Hybrid. You can buy mine for more than a new one if you want it. :laugh:

Technologically speaking, not sure what the Golf has, but I don't think you'll be wanting for anything in a Yaris. :cool:

Thanks for your reply,the Golf is fantastic to drive it's quiet,it soaks up bumps as though they weren't there but I always have the niggling feeling that something will go wrong.

8 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Meant to say that the Yaris is usually considered to be one of the most reliable cars that you can buy. It's not meant to compete with the Golf though, more the Polo.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I realise that,that's I mentioned in my post that I'm not doing as many miles now as I once did, hence the reason I'm looking for a smaller car. I have owned Polo's in the past,again very nice, but as I get older I want a car that won't be back and forth to the garage.

I've also had enough of the brand, trading in my Audi S5 for a Yaris Hybrid I've got on order in a couple of months.

I've had so many bad dealings with local Audi dealership I've just had enough now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vivalacoulter said:

I've also had enough of the brand, trading in my Audi S5 for a Yaris Hybrid I've got on order in a couple of months.

I've had so many bad dealings with local Audi dealership I've just had enough now.

Yes,you purchase that lovely car having paid a substantial amount of money for it,and there is an almost perceptible change of attitude from the dealer. Gone is the 'can't do enough for you' to "shut the door on the way out will you". I'm hoping when I've sold my Golf, I'll have a far better relationship with my local Toyota dealer.

• Like 1

I am currently awaiting my first ever Toyota, always been a Honda man as you can probably tell by my username. Currently own a BMW which I thought would be a good grown up car but I get bored easily and although I have had it over a year I cannot wait to get the Yaris T Sport!

they do say once you go jap, you never look back!

• Like 4

My wife and have owned six Yaris and two Rav 4 over the last nineteen years. Apart from routine servicing, tyres and wipers we haven't even replaced so much as a bulb!

• Like 1

I had a Golf hire car once and hated it. Rough ride, noisy, could feel all the vibrations from the engine and the door seals squeaked as the body flexed over rough rides. Would go out of my way to avoid having the displeasure of driving one again! 

My partners Yaris hybrid on the other hand is sublime in comparison.

Craig.

• Like 1

Never saw the fascination with VW's to be honest. Especially when you sit in a Skoda, or a Seat, or an Audi. They're all the same really, no character in any of them.

But, for a word on reliability, I'm driving a 19 year old Corolla I bought second hand for £250. The only things that need doing to it are things that all 19 year old cars need to have done (if any live that long - I'm looking at you Peugeot!).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links