Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis boot wiring loom help

Mattybp

Hi, I have replaced my boot on my 2007 avensis with one from the scrap yard. The scrap yard foolishly cut through the wiring loom leaving me with the task of joining it to mine. The problem is the wires are the same colour. I have around 6 blue wires that I can't figure outlet what they do. Can anyone help me understand what they are?

6 x blue

Black

White and black

Green

Red

It's the blue ones i need to identify

1495915072564493841020.jpg

Duplicate post deleted

Hi

The blue ones are for following things: 2 for boot lock, 3 for rear wiper and 1 for center stop light.

The following is an trial and error method.

1. Locate rear wiper power wire, turn on ignition and one of the blue wires at cars side comes live- use a bulb to verify that if nothing better can be found. Mark and isolate it from others and leave it be for now!

2. Ignition off and put something on brake pedal so brake lights stay on. One blue wire comes live at car side, locate that. If found connect it one by one to the boot side wires till center stop light lights up. (if you hear boot lock motor operating in some point, then congratulations, you found boot side lock motor wire and you can mark it)

Now things get difficult, and ignition MUST BE OFF!!!

3. You need to find lock switch wire from boot side. It will have ground in it only then you operate the boot switch. You can use a bulb and e.g. live brake wire to verify it. After that boot lock switch wire from car side need to be found. If you ground one of remaining four blue wires from car side, then one of remaining three wires (car side lock motor wire) comes live at cars side. Hint to find boot side lock motor wire is in step 2.

So far you should have working center stop light and boot lock (licence plate lights should have worked before). Three unconnected wires on both sides, one is identified at car side as wiper motor power wire.

4. Only wiper motor to go, the most tricky part. Identifying the two remaining wires car side is easy, just turn rear wiper switch to INT and one wire will have ground in it, same thing with other wire then switch in ON position. Tricky thing is identifying the wires at boot side. You must locate the wiper motor wire harness inside the boot, it will have three wires: blue with red stripe for power, blue with black stripe for ON and blue for INT. If you run power to them one by one at the motor harness, then you can identify the wire from other side.

Hope this is helpful!

• Like 1

If I am correct, the scrap yard cut through the wires, because they don't have the time. The wires are long and would need to be unplugged from the locks, wiper motor and lights.

Years (decades) back I changed the tailgate of a Austin Maestro. What I did was tie cords to the cut cables in the replacement tailgate. Then pulled the cut cables out leaving the cords in place. Then I pulled disconnected the wires on the rotten tailgate, pulled them through and removed the tailgate. I then fitted the replacement tailgate, tied the wiring to the cords that were in place, then pulled them through. The wiper motor, locks, licence plate, lights and any other parts were then transferred and reconnected.

I did not want to be cutting wires and add the problem you now have. The less joints mean less chance of electrical issues due to bad connections, moisture causing shorts, electrical fires. 

Ents has posted whilst I am typing this. When joining the cables, test them one by one and label them. When you are happy with everything, I would solder and shrink wrap the connections to make sure they are sealed. Then wrap the wires into a loom. Some people would go to an auto electrician.  

On 5/28/2017 at 10:24 AM, ents said:

Hi

The blue ones are for following things: 2 for boot lock, 3 for rear wiper and 1 for center stop light.

The following is an trial and error method.

1. Locate rear wiper power wire, turn on ignition and one of the blue wires at cars side comes live- use a bulb to verify that if nothing better can be found. Mark and isolate it from others and leave it be for now!

2. Ignition off and put something on brake pedal so brake lights stay on. One blue wire comes live at car side, locate that. If found connect it one by one to the boot side wires till center stop light lights up. (if you hear boot lock motor operating in some point, then congratulations, you found boot side lock motor wire and you can mark it)

Now things get difficult, and ignition MUST BE OFF!!!

3. You need to find lock switch wire from boot side. It will have ground in it only then you operate the boot switch. You can use a bulb and e.g. live brake wire to verify it. After that boot lock switch wire from car side need to be found. If you ground one of remaining four blue wires from car side, then one of remaining three wires (car side lock motor wire) comes live at cars side. Hint to find boot side lock motor wire is in step 2.

So far you should have working center stop light and boot lock (licence plate lights should have worked before). Three unconnected wires on both sides, one is identified at car side as wiper motor power wire.

4. Only wiper motor to go, the most tricky part. Identifying the two remaining wires car side is easy, just turn rear wiper switch to INT and one wire will have ground in it, same thing with other wire then switch in ON position. Tricky thing is identifying the wires at boot side. You must locate the wiper motor wire harness inside the boot, it will have three wires: blue with red stripe for power, blue with black stripe for ON and blue for INT. If you run power to them one by one at the motor harness, then you can identify the wire from other side.

Hope this is helpful!

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It's much clearer now, I'm going out to see if I can figure this out now. Thanks so much

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links