Do Not Sell My Personal Information

surface rust spots

monkeydave

i just noticed today two surface rust spots under the rubber grommets on the back hatch one for the wires and one for the rear washer water i scratched them off to bare metal and touched them up and then it rained and i noticed the water does like to cling round the bottom of these grommets i might add some sealer around them too

has anyone else had problems with rust in these areas, the rest of the car is perfect, i thought these cars were fully galvanised by fully dipping the car

ill see how it goes as it is touched up now and was only small surface rust that scraped off easly with my  penknife  thanks

Probably be covered under the three year paintwork and surface rust warranty, rather than the 12 year anti corrosion and perforation warranty.

Probably a useless comment now, but it might have been wiser to take the car to a Toyota dealer before scraping and treatiing?

I'll certainly carry out a close inspection of the same areas on my Yaris now though!

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

Probably a useless comment now, but it might have been wiser to take the car to a Toyota dealer before scraping and treatiing?

I'll certainly carry out a close inspection of the same areas on my Yaris now though!

well if they are anything like volkswagen they wont be interested in such a small piece of surface rust under the rubber grommets

• Like 1

id just like to add that the paint in the gutter behind the roof is so thin its embarassing

6 hours ago, monkeydave said:

id just like to add that the paint in the gutter behind the roof is so thin its embarassing

It is common practice with most manufacturers nowadays to not have top coats and lacquer on places which are out of view normally - for example underside of bonnets, engine bays, boot openings, spare wheel wells, etc. All part of saving weight and costs.

yes i know but it is the thinnest i have ever seen on any car even under the bonnet and in the boot is thicker that the gutter at the back

well all is painted now and it had rust on the top two holes too, taking the wiring loom cover off was a pain and i hope the small plastic clips hold up as i suspect it isnt ment to be removed at all, they look very weak and i hope i didnt weaken them too much.

your probably right mrpj i should have taken it to the dealer but they looked worse that they were, once cleaned rust stain off there is a tiny bubble at the edge of the hole so i scraped it back to silver and painted it.

the rest of the car is mint as it should for 7 months old, just the 4 holes for rear wash and wiring loom to rear hatch.

i hope the rust doesnt return or i will take it to the dealer but they will do nothing as i painted it myself, i probably panicked with the shock of seeing rust on a new car.

it might be a bit of a coincident that it is just the holes the rubber grommets are fitted to, maybe they were stored somewhere they got iron filings on and that transfered to the body over time and weather.

really putting me off toyota to be honest considering the price of these new cars theses days and never had any rust problems with either my civic or jazz.

Take it to have it looked at if you're concerned. If nothing else, it makes it known to them.

I'll have a look at mine here (it's 18 months old and sits on the driveway). Mine collects moss in the back (I haven't found an adequate way of removing it, especially from the channel from the roofline that runs behind the rear hatch), but as far as I can tell, no rust spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Take it to have it looked at if you're concerned. If nothing else, it makes it known to them.

I'll have a look at mine here (it's 18 months old and sits on the driveway). Mine collects moss in the back (I haven't found an adequate way of removing it, especially from the channel from the roofline that runs behind the rear hatch), but as far as I can tell, no rust spots.

i took it yesterday but as i have touched it no dice

the rust is under the rubber grommets you cant see it from just looking. i only noticed it because of a band of rust that was around the left lower grommet that carries the wires to the tailgate  and when i peeled the other 3 back (top left wire and right top and bottom for rear washer) there was a big rust stain and after polishing it off there was a tiny bubble on the edge of the circle cut out

On 6/1/2017 at 4:59 PM, monkeydave said:

i took it yesterday but as i have touched it no dice

the rust is under the rubber grommets you cant see it from just looking. i only noticed it because of a band of rust that was around the left lower grommet that carries the wires to the tailgate  and when i peeled the other 3 back (top left wire and right top and bottom for rear washer) there was a big rust stain and after polishing it off there was a tiny bubble on the edge of the circle cut out

Hmm...

I'll have a look over the weekend.

• 2 years later...

I bought a brand new Yaris 2018 in PR in august 2017. About a year later I noticed rust in the body area close to the hinges in the hatch back door. I also found tiny rusted areas in the hood. I recommend to all owners of Yaris to take a closer look to your cars because I have seen other Yaris 2018 with the same situation. Problem is the rusted areas are hard to see now, but will get worse with the years. When I took the car to the dealer they didnt cover all the rust problems of the car because they say is was caused by impact, but is not true. Check your cars.

O bought my Yaris 2018 brand new in year 2017 in Puerto Rico. A year after the purchase I found rust in the body close to the hinges of the hatchback door (which the dealer repaired), on the screws of the hinges and very tiny rust spots on the hood. the dealer dont want to fix all the rusted areas. Check your cars.

moho yaris bonete.jpg

moho yaris tornillos.jpg

The first photo does look as though it could have been caused by an impact - stone chip or similar. In which case the responsibility to repair would be the owner's. The hinge repair would have been done under the paint warranty.

The Toyota US warranty may be different to that of the UK, where Toyota Owners Club is based and where the majority of members reside.

I agree about the first picture. It does look very much like impact which has been neglected, not a warranty issue.

I can only see a bit of surface rust on the two hinge bolts too. Easy for owner to rectify.

Rust spots on the bonnet/hood will probably be untreated stone chips and not covered by any warranty.