Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Security Threat

arthurpint

23 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A metal tin is said to block any signal sent to and from the fob. So perhaps a £2.33 investment will be sufficient - see below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Altoids-Curiously-Strong-Mints-Peppermint/dp/B00289F6LO/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496262520&sr=8-3&keywords=altoids

M&S also sell their own brand version.

I didn't care for the mints, just wanted the tin :laugh:

Not only does it make me have to get right up close to the car to unlock the doors, sometimes I get the key not detected when pressing power.

I think I will allow problems to unfold as no doubt publicity of the facts will begin to bite when fast powerful cars easy to steal using little effort will become the thieves choice of free rental vehicles.

those victims especially in the London area will  increase in the future.

Thanks Anthony Poli joking aside that is actually very good constructive advice.

Actually, the easiest solution would be a modification to the design of the fob - an on/off switch.

And it would be easy to roll-out retrospectively.  Five minute job with a laptop, Techstream and EOBD lead.

Thanks Ian I agree.

in the year 2000 the problem of home burglaries for car keys was a concern the problem got so great it became an epidemic and they were called those key thefts 'millennium burglaries' 

the reason was the burglaries was purely for car keys now it is a real serious problem causing extreme danger to residents because villains would be 'tooled up' in case the residents woke up the result being several murders of residents.

this problem of keyless cars and easy theft method could actually become a real serious problem with targeted cars being stolen because it is so easy.

All the manufacturers need to take all their heads out of the sand and deal with it, now.

GS

Yup... a metal tin would represent an electronic 'Faraday Cage', this would greatly reduce the radiation  (RF) from the fob (also dependant on frequency and tx power).  If this was in a Monty Pyton sketch you would not believe it! However, I reiterate my earlier comment about the necessity for all this digital tosh that the car manufactures seem intent on fostering onto us.  A recent report also claims that vehicle insurance premiums are due to rise; partly because of a hike in insurance tax but also because of the increasing cost of repairing the ever spreading use of digital electronics in modern vehicles.  You probably need to be a highly skilled (and exspensive) data technition with a shed full of electronic gear to repair a modern vehicle crawling with this digital junk.

Oh, I dream of a simpler time... when all we had was a mechanical ignition switch, contact breaker, spark plugs, HT coil, a light switch and wind-up windows LOL  The car still got us from A to B, was cheap to buy, repair and insure (relative to modern cars) and was a bucket full of fun to drive as well.  I know, I know, "fek off back to 1960 you old %*&£"... yer, I wish!

4 hours ago, arthurpint said:

<snip>

All the manufacturers need to take all their heads out of the sand and deal with it, now.

GS

It's not sand there heads are buried in... LOL

5 hours ago, arthurpint said:

I think I will allow problems to unfold as no doubt publicity of the facts will begin to bite when fast powerful cars easy to steal using little effort will become the thieves choice of free rental vehicles.

those victims especially in the London area will  increase in the future.

None of this is new - the following article dates back to 2006.

https://www.cnet.com/news/gone-in-60-seconds-the-high-tech-version/

Thanks for that 'gone in 60 seconds' url frosty... most interesting read ^ 

Another method that I had heard of, was about signal boosters and it does away with the need for a laptop. Once inside the car, they have access to the OBD port and can pair up a new key fob.

The crazy part is, once the car is started, it doesn't stop when the key disappears from range.