Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla SR Audio Upgrade

jono987

Hi everyone, i was hoping someone could give me some advice on an audio upgrade for my rolla.

Im taking it to an audio shop for the Speakers etc however they only sell expensive top quality head units. My budget isnt massive
so i was just planning on getting a cheapish screen from Amazon.

I have found this one with good reviews:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TUVVA-KSD6280-Multimedia-Connectivity-Touchscreen/dp/B017IN3K3A/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496400369&sr=1-5

Am i correct any double DIN will fit my corolla? And any extra wiring etc that is needed the shop should be able to do this for me?

Ill basically be asking them to fit the above head unit and upgrade all the Speakers in the car, and depending on price maybe add a sub / amp.

Cheers!

Hi,

If you look at this site and go to the Adapters section you will see that your new head unit will require a surround and various wiring adapters for the wires  to the power,speakers and steering wheel controls; though a decent audio shop should  be able to sort things out for you.

If you search this and the Audio forum you will see details of various head unit and speaker upgrades.

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

1. Great cheers codger. Im half tempted to just save up a bit more money and just get them to do everything!

Good call from codger to be fair. 

Or just have ago your self. A little reading up and afew tools can save you quite abit. And with the head unit, the new adapter does all the hard for you. No cutting/splitting wires. Just a push fit. It's all time though, as most of us are short of  on here ha ha 

Cheers guys! Done a quick search, someone put a double din in the same dash rolla as mine, they mentioned it didnt fit properly so had to cut some material and put it at either side. Am i right in thinking that if i order the double din installation kit from audio direct, i wont need to do any of this? 

So i could just buy that, and that stereo from Amazon, and away i go?

Bit confused on what lead to choose though for the steering wheel controls?

This way i can install all that myself and maybe just go to the shop for them to fit me some new Speakers.

Cheers!

No idea how good a fit or colour match that fascia from CAD is ...

Not having replaced my head unit, not sure about what adapter is needed for the steering wheel controls , you need to ask CAD for that, though as your selected head unit is not a popular  make they might not know ..?

Have you seen the installation /operating manual for the unit ?

No idea what half of those extra connections are for  ?  - do you ?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0203/8358/files/IM_TUVVA_KSD6280.pdf?6482817906302668056

One thing about that unit, its radio section is am and fm only, no DAB,  so if they ever do end fm transmissions,  as they keep saying, you will need a dab adapter/tuner

If you want to replace your front Speakers, as long as you use the same diameter units then its just a case of some standard hand tools,  a drill and pop riveter.

Though the same size,  any good quality Speakers will give a much better sound, so do not buy cheapies.

They say its generally not necessary to replace the rears.

Thanks again mate for such a detailed reply. 

I will email CAD, as i have just noticed that all the different options for the steering wheel cables are for different radio makers, I.E pioneer, alpine etc.

Obviously with it being a cheap chinese knockoff they may not do the cable for it.

I am not bothered about the radio as i will be using bluetooth, i dont actually have a radio at the minute in mine! When putting my car in the garage the Arial snapped off inside my car, was quoted 300+ to fix as they need to remove the roof or something so i thought sod that lol

Hi again! I dont suppose anyone knows the size of the Speakers in my model corolla? The front ones?

Im currently working out in Nigeria so cant go out and check. Want to try order everything so it will all be sat waiting for me when i get home :biggrin:

1 hour ago, jono987 said:

Thanks again mate for such a detailed reply. 

I will email CAD, as i have just noticed that all the different options for the steering wheel cables are for different radio makers, I.E pioneer, alpine etc.

Obviously with it being a cheap chinese knockoff they may not do the cable for it.

I am not bothered about the radio as i will be using Bluetooth, i dont actually have a radio at the minute in mine! When putting my car in the garage the Arial snapped off inside my car, was quoted 300+ to fix as they need to remove the roof or something so i thought sod that lol

Yes, that could be a problem with the steering wheel controls if they do not sell that head unit, though expect it will be compatible, but exactly how for a toyota ...?

There are a few other big online car audio places so you could try them as well.

The aerial, its not just the un-screwable whip part thats broken, rather than the base.

Expect all the cost is for the base and labour undoing the headlining, though if doing it yourself a neat cut and patch would do it; not an area you look at all the time.

Cannot remember if the fronts were 5" or 6.5", plus you might want to go to Halfords and have a listen to some their display units.

I was lucky and got some Pioneers with separate tweeters , which mounted up by the wind mirrors and really lifted the sound stage; now, most seem to have them build into the main speaker

This might help - 

67 - Audio and Visual System.pdf

Edit  - forget to mention, get yourself some of the sound deadening pads and apply it to the metalwork around the speaker and also on the door skin behind the speaker, they really do improve the sound.

Also check and secure any loose wires etc as the new Speakers could vibrate them

Yeah all labour costs, i had a look at doing it myself but apparently its quite tricky as if you dont do it right the roof will sag.

Direct audio emailed me back straight away, there is an option to select a universal lead but they cant guarantee it will work with any of the Amazon brands. I think i will just try it and see, no steering controls is not the end of the world.

I believe as mine is the SR, its advertised as having a 6 speaker system. I think this means it has two tweeters, two front Speakers and two rear Speakers, however i am really not certain on this. 

Have you any experience with Halfords fitting Speakers? I have heard nightmares of their fittings however if they are cheap i may just let them do it.

Thanks!

Thought it was the T3 and Tspirit models that had the tweeters, if you have them, then they should  look similar to the ones I fitted below;  though you can buy separate tweeters its probably better to buy them as a matched pair with the main speaker.

Meant for you to have a listen to the various Speakers in Halfords,  having them fit them  ...:bangin:

Your original post sounded like you went to an expensive  top end car audio shop, think you will  find plenty of decent audio or  auto electricians who can do a proper job as more reasonable rates, but as I do things like that myself , cannot suggest any particular place; just google  for your area.

Yeah, a place in Sheffield called source sounds. They come very highly recommended however they are more for top end audio systems, rather than a simple head unit and speaker upgrade which i am after.

I think im going to try do it all myself, thanks for your help. 

Will update back here hopefully with pictures of the fitted screen :)

Hey, me again :P

Having deciding to try doing it all myself, i have decided to order some 6.5 coaxial Speakers for the front. I have my eye on some well reviewed pioneer ones for 60 quid.

Will these go straight in or will i need an adapter? Found an adapter on car audio direct, part number CT25TY02.

Will i need this adapter or will i not know until i have the Speakers in hand? If so is it safer to just order it anyway at same time as ordering Speakers?

Thanks again for all your help

3 hours ago, jono987 said:

Hey, me again :P

Having deciding to try doing it all myself, i have decided to order some 6.5 coaxial speakers for the front. I have my eye on some well reviewed pioneer ones for 60 quid.

Will these go straight in or will i need an adapter? Found an adapter on car audio direct, part number CT25TY02.

Will i need this adapter or will i not know until i have the speakers in hand? If so is it safer to just order it anyway at same time as ordering speakers?

Thanks again for all your help

Hi,

Afraid I just cannot remember if I used those fitting rings or not, sorry, just old age..  it was six years ago, didn't take any pics of fitting them and receipts long since gone.

The factory fitted Speakers are moulded into a similar mounting ring, but cannot really see how you would fit the new Speakers into such a ring.

When you drill out the old pop rivets, do it with the smallest diameter drill so you do not enlarge the fitting hole in the door metalwork.

I can remember having to get some extra flat metal washers to go onto the pop rivets to ensure a good fit.

I did not use the Pioneer  grill /mesh, just  fitted behind the existing door card ok.

Also that CAD site says they are for a 2002 rolla  , not 2002 to 2006 rolla

Which Pioneers are you looking at , the 3 way TSA17331, they are similar in todays money to the ones I fitted in 2011, so they should give a good sound.

Pic below of my tweeter by the door mirror covers , which are where yours should be if fitted.

tw.jpg

See if this video helps you out buddy 

Good find on that  video RR.

Though do not use those blue SnapLock connectors as they can be unreliable.

Solder them or use small screw block connectors or crimp butt connectors.

As mentioned earlier, do use some sound deadening pads

Totally agree with the connectors etc. It was more for the guide of how too regarding the fitment and speaker adaptors. My bible YouTube! 

Only as reference though. Some videos are way off

Thanks to you both, feeling confident i can do it all now. I have ordered the double din install kit from CAD and also a £220 'pumpkin' satnav which seems to garner good reviews on the internet.

Once i have them fitted ill be popping into Halfords to give their Speakers a listen to.

At the minute i have one of them boxes which i plugged into the bag of the cd changer for my aux cable which crackles constantly. Looking forward to a nice increase in sound quaity!

Hey mate, it says item unavailable when i click on that link, what was it?

15 hours ago, jono987 said:

Hey mate, it says item unavailable when i click on that link, what was it?

Did it. Sorry mate! They are Speakers called Boss. The reviews are really on Amazon etc. Just eBay was cheaper

• 1 month later...

Little update :)

Has anyone used the connect2 steering wheel control adapter?

Theres a noise coming from behind my new stereo, kind of like the noise a CD changer makes when changing CDs however theres no CD player on the Stereo. Only thing i can think of is that connects2 adapter has some kind of moving part.

Android Auto is Brilliant!

Capture.JPG

I would think its more a question of if the steering wheel controls will work on your new head unit; perhaps one to ask connect2..

Never known of a moving part inside such units, more likely something is rubbing /creaking with the movement of the car |? so you might need to slip the unit out and ensure everything is secured down /foam around the wires/cables.

That bezel looks a good fit, what model is that and of the jvc unit ?

Fitted new Speakers yet ?

Hi Mate, the steering controls work fine! Its just the noise, the foam is a good shout. Would any kind of sprayable foam work? Is it easy to remove if i want to put original radio back?

The bezel is the Connects2 CTKTY13 Toyota Corolla 2003> 2008 Double Din Radio Installation Kit  from CAD.

The JVC unit is JVC KW-M730BT. It has android Auto which is brill as i can get google maps on the Stereo.

Still not fitted Speakers, been mega busy with work got a few hours spare the other weekend so quickly put the Stereo in.

Still another great sound boost when you fit new front Speakers.

The foam I mean  any soft rubber foam types like house door seals , would not use the spray stuff, you will never get it off and it might affect the cables covers.

000334.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links