Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Inlet manifold rattle

71jagman

My RAV4 has been bugged by a rattle coming from the inlet manifold at low engine speeds. Apparently the manifold has an internal baffle which can shake loose with the passage of time and miles. It is so loud as to make the petrol engine sound like a diesel.

After extensive research I discovered that the problem exists on several different models.

The fix is to insert several screws which will capture the baffle and stop it from vibrating/rattling.

The method I used is as follows. I removed the manifold and chose carefully an angle for the drill which would put it through all the layers of plastic and into the plenum chamber. Using a    2 mm drill I drilled through the layers feeling the drill pass through each one. I then counter bored the hole to form a flat plane for the screw head. I then drilled the first layer of plastic with a 4 mm drill for clearance then inserted a self tapping screw 3 mm by 20 mm covered with a liberal coating of heat resistant silicone sealant. I chose four places in between each of the intakes. I reassembled it using a new gasket. 

NO MORE RATTLES

I make no apologies for publishing this fix if it has already been covered else where on the forum. My searches have not found it.

It is not necessary to remove the manifold on some other models because access to the seam can be gained from the top between the air intakes.

This fix can save several hundred pounds.

WP_20170604_13_10_50_Pro.thumb.jpg.c0ded69194265f7f320d20989a90d4d4.jpg

Could you please indicate where the screws are (Are they the white "dots"?)

Hi IanML

Yes that's correct. If you grab the picture and zoom in all will become clear.

So it does!  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi IanML

This fix has stopped the high frequency resonance at 3000 revs as well as the low frequency rattle.