Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo 1.0 engine vs Citroen C1 1.2 engine comparison

fordulike

Just wondering if anyone has had any driving experience from both engines? 

Would like to know if the 1.2 engine is a better drive than the 1.0. Not fussed about fuel economy, but comments about refinement, acceleration etc. would be helpful.

I'd be interested to know how they compare too, as I wish the Aygo had a 1.2 option.

My colleague has a C1 with 1.2 driving around the city I do not see the difference, but more use of gasoline

I believe that Toyota have a big part in designing/manufacturing the 1.0 engine?

What about the 1.2 engine in the C1?

The 1.0 litre is the 1KR-FE unit that was designed in conjunction with Daihatsu. It is a Toyota unit, and for the Aygo, is built in Poland by Toyota, as are the manual and semi automatic transmissions (MMT and X-Shift).

The 1.2 litre HM01 engine is one of PSA's modular Puretech 3 cylinder engines ranging from 1.0 litre to 1.2 litre (normally aspirated and turbo forms).

Thank you for clarifying that Mike. I was torn between the MK2 1.0 Aygo and the Citroen 1.2 Flair as my next car, but I'll stick with the Aygo, now I know who makes the engine.

Call me superstitious, but I owned a Renault 11 many years ago and....... well, you can guess the rest :biggrin:

I really wish they'd do one with the 1.3 or 1.5 VVTi... or that new 1.2T... :naughty:

57 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I really wish they'd do one with the 1.3 or 1.5 VVTi... or that new 1.2T... :naughty:

PSA do turbo versions of their 1.2 Puretech engine (110 or 130bhp) - the normally aspirated version of which is in the C1/108 ...

130bhp in an Aygo!!!

I'd buy that for a dollar...

1 minute ago, Plob said:

130bhp in an Aygo!!!

I'd buy that for a dollar...

Ha ha yes, I owned a Daihatsu Charade GTti many moons ago, and that was a very entertaining car to say the least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest, does anyone know the specs of the clutch fitted to the 1.2, compared to the 1.0?

200mm for the 1.2. 190mm for the 1.0 litre

Thanks for the quick reply. I feel a bit of a traitor, talking so much about a competitor's car on this forum, but there's no denying that similar spec wise, a used Citroen C1 appears much better value for money.

Think one will need to consider other things as well - shorter new car warranty (3 years/60,000 miles consisting of a two year unlimited mileage manufacturer warranty and a third year dealer network warranty (60,000 miles limit)), and more expensive servicing: 

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think one will need to consider other things as well - shorter new car warranty (3 years/60,000 miles consisting of a two year unlimited mileage manufacturer warranty and a third year dealer network warranty (60,000 miles limit)), and more expensive servicing: 

Totally agree, lots to consider lol. On a positive note, whichever way I go, the missus has said she'll be happy to have my current Aygo, so I'll still be lurking around this forum for many years to come.

The PSA 1.2 engine has a timing belt rather than a chain.

Great info. That's swung it for me then. For the past 15 years, I've specifically only bought cars with timing chains. I'm not suggesting belts break, left, right and centre, but history suggests, chains are more reliable.

In the Auto Express magazine they ran one of these driver survey things, and the C1 was mentioned as having a 1.2 variant. The writer though stated that there isn't much difference between the 1.0 and 1.2 in terms of power.

Plus, speaking as someone who has a 107, Peugeot Citroen tend to be !Removed! awful to deal with in terms of getting work done to a car. Every time I need a part for my 107 I end up going to Toyota instead of Peugeot. Only time I've needed to go to Peugeot for a part for my 107 was to buy replacement front brackets for the bumper and that was a pain.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2017 at 11:28 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The PSA 1.2 engine has a timing belt rather than a chain.

I've done some digging around and found something interesting about this engine. It appears that the timing belt lasts the lifetime of the engine. This may sound like a dumb question, but does that mean that it doesn't require changing, like a timing chain?

• The timing belt, wet and housed in a casing, has the same lifespan as the car itself. This technology also helps to reduce engine noise.

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/puretech/puretech.html

4 hours ago, fordulike said:

I've done some digging around and found something interesting about this engine. It appears that the timing belt lasts the lifetime of the engine. This may sound like a dumb question, but does that mean that it doesn't require changing, like a timing chain?

• The timing belt, wet and housed in a casing, has the same lifespan as the car itself. This technology also helps to reduce engine noise.

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/puretech/puretech.html

According to the Toyota service & warranty book, the Aygo 1.2 timing belt needs changing at 10 years/110,000 miles.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to the Toyota service & warranty book, the Aygo 1.2 timing belt needs changing at 10 years/110,000 miles.

Mmmmm, that's still not bad. I only do 5k miles per year. The Citroen extended warranty looks pretty comprehensive for only £199 per year too.

As I mentioned, the Aygo will be staying in the family, so I wouldn't be entirely defecting. Although I still have memories of that awful Renault 11 lol.

Decisions decisions :unsure:

Oh, Stuart!...Don't remind me about Renaults. :ohmy:

Years ago, I had a Renault Fuego, I loved it for about a month and then the gear lever came out of the floor, in my hand.....As I was changing from third to fourth, accelerating onto a motorway.  More than 15 miles in third gear until I could get off!

After that was fixed it started to eat fanbelts, I think that I must have put over a dozen on the thing and taken it to the garage just as many times before the Renault dealer finally found that the alternator was occasionally charging at 24 volts, stopping the pulley dead and melting the belt.

That was just the start of a none too happy relationship. :wink:

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

Oh, Stuart!...Don't remind me about Renaults. :ohmy:

Years ago, I had a Renault Fuego, I loved it for about a month and then the gear lever came out of the floor, in my hand.....As I was changing from third to fourth, accelerating onto a motorway.  More than 15 miles in third gear until I could get off!

After that was fixed it started to eat fanbelts, I think that I must have put over a dozen on the thing and taken it to the garage just as many times before the Renault dealer finally found that the alternator was occasionally charging at 24 volts, stopping the pulley dead and melting the belt.

That was just the start of a none too happy relationship. :wink:

Hee hee, nearly bought one of those too, as I loved the shape. The gear lever story reminds me of the time a Mk1 Golf Gti, decided it only wanted to select 3rd or 4th gear. Every junction required 3rd gear and about 4k revs to get it moving. Not only did I look and sound like a right boy racer tit, but the clutch smelt really bad when I got home.

1 hour ago, fordulike said:

Mmmmm, that's still not bad. I only do 5k miles per year. The Citroen extended warranty looks pretty comprehensive for only £199 per year too

but you will  need 2  years earlier  ...

Toyota's Extended Warranty scheme is fairly comprehensive too & iirc they are still doing the "2 years for the price of 1 " offer which makes it very competitive especially if you consider that it also includes (AA) road & at home breakdown cover.

14 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

but you will  need 2  years earlier  ...

Toyota's Extended Warranty scheme is fairly comprehensive too & iirc they are still doing the "2 years for the price of 1 " offer which makes it very competitive especially if you consider that it also includes (AA) road & at home breakdown cover.

I've been doing some sums and took that into consideration. Overall, similar spec, plus a couple of years extended warranty, works out at better value than the Aygo. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links