Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 hello

ravHell

Hello

I had hoped to enjoy joining this forum posting lovingly about my 2009 Rav 4. It was a great car to drive and always a pleasure to get in until one of the rear track control  arms broke just after Christmas (this year after two years of ownership) causing me to nearly loose control and spin out. As I was in a 30 zone doing less than 30.Luckily it was slow and I didn't hit anybody or anything. Toyota had the original inspection and fix issued in 2010 (which was done) but this had no physical effect on the arm. In my case the thread stripped  and ripped the support apart turning my rear wheel inwards and pointing me across the road. I managed to pull the car over but it was trailer-ed home by the AA. Toyota have replaced both arms at no cost now but it is a worrying time bomb.There is no scheduled service check for this part.

Now i find that at 117k my head gasket is going. this has not been a happy experience. The 2009 engine was supposed to be fixed and 117k should be nothing for a 2-2 diesel. I am currently looking into the black hole of a steep bill as there is no information on out of warranty service. I am looking to find whether anybody else has experienced these problems and whether there is a fix without open wallet surgery!

2AD engines affected by the possible head gasket failures had a build date up to December 2008, which is different to the date of first registration. So it is quite possible that Rav4's first registered in 2009 may have a build date of December 2008 or before. See 

Toyota covered the issue on a case-by-case basis for a period of either 7 years or 111,846 miles, whichever occurred first. In the case of the Rav4, all affected vehicles are now outside the case-by-case cover. 

There have been owners who have had the head gaskets repaired, but I don't think we've had any information back on how successful those repairs have been.

Thread moved to the Rav4 club.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links