Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 head gasket

ravHell

I find that at 117k my head gasket is going. this has not been a happy experience. The 2009 engine was supposed to be fixed ( I have now read of problems the the d4d 2.2 A engine fitted to the Avensis and Rav4) and 117k should be nothing for a 2-2 diesel. I am currently looking into the black hole of a steep bill as there is no information on out of warranty service. I am looking to find whether anybody else has experienced these problems and whether there is a fix without open wallet surgery!

The mechanic has performed a liquid change test that confirms exhaust gas (diesel) is in the coolant so it looks likely that that a head gasket leak is the problem. The heater still works and the temp gauge stays resolutely in the middle of the field.This made discovery difficult. I noticed that the coolant tank had drained and filled it up, it drained again quickly, there are no leaks, it has been checked. There are no white spots under the oil cap and the dipstick shows only oil. Am I missing something here and is there a fix. I have been told that to change the HG it's an engine out job at about £2k+. This is a pain as I bought this car because it was supposed to be reliable and long running. I ran my last car to 200k + on regular servicing ( a similar 4x4) but I went to Toyota because of the good reputation-this has not been backed up. Any ideas please? 

See reply at 

If you are losing coolant with no sign of it in the oil, it could be going straight into the exhaust manifold, if there is a passage in the gasket between a coolant passage and an exhaust valve.

There are products which claim to address this, eg this one

Thanks for the information. I have put in some Kseal at the moment but this is a quick fix and may require something else. I can't find a listing for Blue devil in the UK but there is a guaranteed fix version of Kseal that may do the job on a longer term (K-SEAL ULTIMATE - PERMANENT HEAD GASKET & BLOCK REPAIR SEALER) i don't know whether anybody has any experience of this one?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your help but the Rav 4 has gone to the dismantlers for alot less than it cost to buy. Looks like it was a friday car.