Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.2T fast idle cold startup

Keith915

Hi everyone. Just a quickie, do all 1.2T engines idle at 1500rpm for 5-10seconds or so on cold startup before dropping to normal idle?

Thanks Keith. 

Not my car. RPM's never above 1000 at startup. My car is with CVT, maybe that transmission has a effect on engine behavior? 

Mine is a manual gearbox . Car is only a month old so hope it's normal ..!

I have the same car, March 2017 and it does the same!

I've had many cars that does that! Few seconds in warm weather (guess the ecu needs some time to go through everything) and longer I the winter to get the engine up to temp faster....nothing to worry about

Even the hybrid revs at 1300-1500 rpm in winter. 

It's all arranged electronically so it should be ok. Otherwise you would get error codes.    Seen it before on other cars. . Should be normal.

Agree with others, starting from a cold engine and the engine computer will say it needs a richer mixture. Works like the manual choke that cars used to have sometime in the distant past. Soon as engine running it will probably start weakening off and the revs fall, all electronically controlled.

As well as all the above, I suspect Toyota have only a limited time after start-up in which to get the emissions under control.

To that end, they will run the cold engine at a fast idle to get more hot gas through the catalytic converter , as below it's operating temperature it doesn't work.

I think that some modern engines make this harder for their designers as, in an effort to improve efficiency, they have long, tubular exhaust manifolds (as performance cars once used to visibly sport to enable good scavenging/efficiency), but that means the catalyst is long way from the head when it is fitted where all the pipes join up. So a longer fast idle is needed to get that heat down a longer pipe, on those cars so fitted.

Thanks chaps good to hear everyone has this happening. I was thinking it might increase wear on the engine revving from cold but if that's how its designed so be it. 

Hi Keith I have had three yaris from new and they all do that from cold or first start. Think sensors raise revs to ensure engine starts properly but it then settles down fairly quickly.

I'm considering the Auris 1.2T can I ask what average mpg you are getting and what mixture of roads you use.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links