Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake pad cost fitted

martin68

Hi guys

As you may know, I bought an Auris Hybrid sports excel model about a month ago at auction for a bargain price.

It was a fleet car, so has 79000 miles on it and was registered in 2014

The service history only went upto October 2015 so I thought I had better take it to my local Toyota dealers to be serviced and get the service history upto date.

I took it there this morning, and they gave me an automatic yaris petrol car for courtesy which was good of them, but will cost me £10 for the privilege.

This afternoon they rang me and told me that the nearside shock absorber was leaking and will be done under guarantee, but they also advised that the front break pads are down to 4mm and advised to have them replaced too, but this will cost £110 fitted, so is this a normal kind of price or am i being charged this much because its a main dealer?

on top of that, i'm paying £230 for this "catch up" service, then £25 per month for the next 2 years to cover future services.

Are these charges normal?

Which service is it that you're having - Intermediate or Full?

As regards the front brake pads, Toyota offers a fixed price repair scheme, which provides maximum priced repairs - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/repairs.json

The fixed price repair cost for front brake pads replacement is £135.

As regards the courtesy car, presumably the £10 was for provision of their insurance cover for the courtesy car. You may have been able to use your own insurance - for example with our policies, our insurer automatically covers courtesy cars for up to 7 days at no extra cost to us.

1 hour ago, martin68 said:

on top of that, i'm paying £230 for this "catch up" service, then £25 per month for the next 2 years to cover future services.

Without knowing what is included can't say whether that is cheap, fair or expensive. https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json

It sounds like you have opted also for a service plan - again without knowing what is included one can't say whether that is value or not.

Members need more detail on which service the catch-up relates to, how many services are included within the service plan (ie one Intermediate and one Full), etc before being able to comment.

The monthly payment is about the same as mine, the lump sum is down to you starting from scratch. If you would have bought the car from Toyota they normally would have serviced it for you prior to you getting the car. 

• 11 months later...
On 07/06/2017 at 8:58 PM, martin68 said:

Hi guys

As you may know, I bought an Auris Hybrid sports excel model about a month ago at auction for a bargain price.

The service history only went upto October 2015 so I thought I had better take it to my local Toyota dealers to be serviced and get the service history upto date.

I took it there this morning, and they gave me an automatic yaris petrol car for courtesy which was good of them, but will cost me £10 for the privilege.

This afternoon they rang me and told me that the nearside shock absorber was leaking and will be done under guarantee, but they also advised that the front break pads are down to 4mm and advised to have them replaced too, but this will cost £110 fitted, so is this a normal kind of price or am i being charged this much because its a main dealer?

What is £25.00/ per month service plan? 

I have just bought toyota auris hybrid 2014... 

Lots of garages do a monthly 'plan' for servicing.  It's based on x-amount of services per 3 years etc.  You pay the monthly amount and when it needs a service you have nothing to pay (and you can cancel it if/when you sell the car).

On 6/7/2017 at 8:58 PM, martin68 said:

Hi guys

£110 seems steep, get you own pads, find your nearest eastern European garage mechanic and he should be able to do them for £20 labour. Buy your parts from Eurocarparts or GSF.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:51 AM, ziauris said:

£110 seems steep, get you own pads, find your nearest eastern European garage mechanic and he should be able to do them for £20 labour. Buy your parts from Eurocarparts or GSF.

If toyota is gong to do check up and Battery health check after service. I think it's worth paying paying money to them plus, I believe original parts are always better then you buy copied parts from any third party sellers. They might work cheap due short term.... 

On 5/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, difficult said:

If toyota is gong to do check up and battery health check after service. I think it's worth paying paying money to them plus, I believe original parts are always better then you buy copied parts from any third party sellers. They might work cheap due short term.... 

yep, if it;s electric then important to get it checked by toyota. good point.

mine is petrol and 10 years old so i just get local mechanic to do most of the servicing as not sure that spending massive amounts servicing it is good value for money.

by the way - eurocarparts so sell OEM parts like Bosch brake pads which came on my Auris, I've put Pagid pads on it at present. Just stay clear of the cheaper tat they sell as they cater to all and sundry.

6 hours ago, ziauris said:

mine is petrol and 10 years old so i just get local mechanic to do most of the servicing as not sure that spending massive amounts servicing it is good value for money.

so at 10 it qualifies for Toyota Essential Care - £120 for Silver & £200 for Gold for an Auris. & they have been doing a free MOT promotion too.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json#servicing-widget-anchor

The Essential Care silver service and MOT offer runs until the end of August 2018 and costs £99 - 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:24 PM, Heidfirst said:

so at 10 it qualifies for Toyota Essential Care - £120 for Silver & £200 for Gold for an Auris. & they have been doing a free MOT promotion too.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json#servicing-widget-anchor

On 5/28/2018 at 12:09 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Essential Care silver service and MOT offer runs until the end of August 2018 and costs £99 - 

£99 sound a decent price to be honest especially as it would get me a stamp in my book. But I'd already booked it with my regular guy who charges £40 for just MOT (ouch) but does a decent job. However,  my experience with Toyota dealership (Huddersfield) has not been great so would not trust them to work on my car. I bought my car in 2012 (under 5 yrs old) from Toyota Huddersfield with 42k miles. When I got it home I realised that the the service worksheet had not been put in the service book and also noticed that the coolant level was below the low mark. 

I went back to collect my service sheet and pointed out that coolant level was low. They told me I am mistaken and it is at the correct level. Looking at the handbook, the diagram is a bit confusing as to what the levels are meant to be so I took their word for it and forgot about it. About a year later I noticed a diagram on the inside of the bonnet with a clearer picture of where the levels are meant to be and I realised that the level had been LOW all this time and the guys at Huddersfield had BSed and hadn't serviced the car properly prior to selling it to me. I reckon this was due to the car being Pxed and me buying it almost instantly. They already had the sale so why spend time/money fixing it/servicing it. 

A year had passed so I couldn't much about it now so I bought a 1L bottle of the coolant  from the Huddersfield branch and topped it up.  A few days later it was low again and at the same line as it has been before when I bought the car. It held steady so I forgot about it. Fast forward a year and the water pump was making a rough sound. My mechanic said that the water pump was on it's way out so I had a new one fitted. Refilled with coolant and now everything stayed at the same level, no drop in coolant levels. 

This lead me to believe that Toyota Huddersfield knew the water pump was faulty and that's why the coolant level kept on dropping below the "low" mark but just couldn't be bothered to fix it as they already had the sale in the bag!

Fast forward to the passenger air bag recall. I got a letter from Toyota to get my passenger airbag fixed. Idiot that I am, I called Huddersfield Toyota to book it in. They told me that they don't have parts. I told them to order parts and call me. Around 6 months later, I am still waiting. I call them again and they tell me Toyota head office will call me when parts are ready. So I'm waiting another 3 months and get the same BS excuses. I call Wakefield Toyota and they say they can book me in and order parts for that date!!!!! In the meantime I get another letter from Toyota head office reminding me to get the work carried out. What is going on at Huddersfield Toyota?? If Wakefield can get parts why can't they??? I don't know what the exact reason was, may be they don't get paid enough for recall work so fobbed me off, may be they were busy with their usual work and couldn't do my car.

Anyway for these reasons I will NEVER have my car serviced/MOT'd/fixed by Toyota Huddersfield - I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. They have screwed me over one too many times. Now I take it to the Pakistani/Eastern European guys to do my servicing. I supply my own quality parts and watch them do the work. Sometimes they muck it up a little but I'm paying bottom rates and they do a bit of free diagnosis, like the time I went in for oil and filter change and they told me the water pump is going (and it was - they didn't BS me) and I learn something whilst I'm there. I'm also wary of the whole dealership experience due to the above. It's nice sitting in the Toyota garage drinking the coffee and watching the TV but how good a job are they doing or are they doing half a job and getting paid in full?? I'd rather now take it to independents so I KNOW the work HAS been done and as the car is 10 yrs old it doesn't matter too much.

Unfortunately even within Toyota's dealer network there seem to be a few who let the rest down.

In my favoured dealer they have a big glass window between service reception/seating area & the workshop so that you can watch your car being worked on.

Unfortunately for me, I discovered today whilst booking my car in for its service that the service supervisor that I have known for years there & had a very good rapport with has moved on ... 😢

There are good and bad dealerships and independents.

If one has a bad experience with a garage, whether it is a franchised dealer or independent, why go back? There are plenty of other dealers and independents out there.

Just querying whether brake pads and discs are the same on the hybrid as they are on the standard engines. The reason I am asking is the regeneration issues, are there any electrical parts that need special attention etc?

I normally change my own when they're due which is why I'm asking.

FWIW, you can buy genuine Toyota Parts from our very own PartsKing or the Official Toyota Shop on eBay 👍

My Aygo seems to eat pads and discs like they’re made out of butter and toast: pads about every 10K and discs every 20K 😳

I prefer buying genuine items but fit them myself (very simple and easy to do). And the cost of purchase isn’t too far off OEM parts either - hope it helps!

5 hours ago, ihpj said:

FWIW, you can buy genuine Toyota Parts from our very own PartsKing or the Official Toyota Shop on eBay 👍

My Aygo seems to eat pads and discs like they’re made out of butter and toast: pads about every 10K and discs every 20K 😳

I prefer buying genuine items but fit them myself (very simple and easy to do). And the cost of purchase isn’t too far off OEM parts either - hope it helps!

Maybe it's your driving  style, or maybe it's maybelline?

Nice to remind people about buying parts here tho.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links