Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2013 Yaris terrible mpg?!?

Pmansbridge

auto

2013 Yaris Really bad MPG???

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and new to the Yaris family(I came from the tundra family) so thanks in advance for the help! Anyways I just recently bought a 2013 Yaris LE 4speed auto from my uncle. It has 64 000km and we are in Canada if that's relevant.

Anyways when I bought the car I notice the avg l/100km was at 9.5(roughly 25-26 mpg I believe). They did so mostly city driving though. When I filled the tank I also notice it saying only 390km to empty... has anyone else experienced this?? It seems terribly low to me. From the short browsing I've done on on some forums it seems as the the common low mpg is 30-32mpg. Does my mpg seem normal? I do 90% city and I drive quite slow(since I got used to trying to save money on gas in my big truck). 

Anyone have any recommendations ?

Think you may have a different transmission to European Yaris. In Europe the 2011 onwards Yaris has a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) rather than your four speed Electronic Control Transmission (ECT). 

Are your figures based on U.S. gallons or Imperial? The U.S. gallon is smaller so consequently the m.p.g. figure will be lower. Plus, as FB says your auto will be "conventional" which could also explain a lower m.p.g. figure compared to manual or CVT.

It really depends on what type of driving you are doing. The 'worst' kind of trips are the 5-10min short trips in the cities in winter, no matter it is manual, auto or CVT. It can be as bad as 20-25mpg on my CVT 1.33. Don't be fooled by some of the figures quoted by Toyota or some posts over here boasting 50-60mpg, they are either ideal test figures or mainly long motorway/highway driving with minimal gear change (and probably no passengers....).

If you are driving up hills with a cold engine and doing short journeys, expect to be lucky to achieve half the quoted figures

( I can achieve 14mpg in a Honda Jazz/Fit with CVT auto driving up hills in cold weather with a cold engine- for two miles versus maker's 40mpg +)

** MPG figures are imperial gallons. **

While I rave here about the super efficiency of the Hybrid, I have had short journeys where MPG was low 30s. I avoid the short journeys, basically, combined with knowing how to maximize MPG when it is unavoidable.

MPG generally depends upon:

* journey distance (short journeys in ANYTHING will not be very good)

* transmission type (manual will be best generally vs. any automatic transmission, excluding hybrids because they are more efficient anyway due to the engine cycle)

* how you drive it

As I understand economy of the 1.33 CVT, the best economy you can expect on short journeys is around 35 MPG. It may even be much lower than this, depending.

Even in the Hybrid I can get such poor fuel economy it makes the eyes bleed. Crawling along at 5-10 MPH with a flat HV Battery yields a reported MPG of just 8 MPG. :blink:

In town driving (much start/stop, up to 30 MPH in between) I only see 45-50 MPG with a warm engine. With a cold engine this drops to 30-35 MPG, and only gentle driving.

I'd suggest the figures you are seeing are perhaps correct for the type of driving.

My old car, when I was commuting 12 miles each way to/from work (mix of city and highway), returned 12 MPG (it was a 1.4L 4-speed automatic). :blink::blink:  I could operate a Mack truck for less! In the hybrid over a similar type of drive I get 70+ MPG.

Any car will have an optimum speed for best MPG. Town driving is outside of this regime, unfortunately.

Bwaa, I wish my Mk1 had an mpg meter so I could join in this conversation! I only get end-to-end results based on calculations :crybaby:

I generally aim for 75 miles per 'block' of the fuel gauge (Which is the only thing I wish was analogue on this car!), and know I'm on for a good tank if I hit that, although it's basically meaningless past half way due to the fact it could say half full or empty depending on which way the car was last pointing up an incline or camber!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 7:03 PM, Cyker said:

Bwaa, I wish my Mk1 had an mpg meter so I could join in this conversation! I only get end-to-end results based on calculations :crybaby:

I generally aim for 75 miles per 'block' of the fuel gauge (Which is the only thing I wish was analogue on this car!), and know I'm on for a good tank if I hit that, although it's basically meaningless past half way due to the fact it could say half full or empty depending on which way the car was last pointing up an incline or camber!

Per-tank economy is really the only one that matters, because it is over multiple journeys. It should be fairly consistent.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links