Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash cams

BKK

Just about to purchase my first new Prius Excel. I'm Asking about your knowledge of fitting front and rear Roadhawk cameras as the dealer I'm purchasing from, have never fitting any. Although the sales team seem to be interested in getting the cameras fitted and hard-wired to the car, their service department seem to lack interest and their answer is to outsource the work.  

I'm now VERY concerned as I've been on Toyota's 'live-chat' and their answer is; that as Toyota doesn't recommend these products that fitting any non genuine Toyota parts will affect the warranty. I've read through various comments left here and very pleased to see them especially as some dealers have fitted dash cams for their customers also, your comments about using your own sat nav systems. 

My main concern now is the comment from Toyota saying that fitting non genuine parts will affect the car's warranty.  I would appreciate your comment especially on the warranty issue.

As far as I'm aware, the new car warranty won't cover any of the installation of third party parts and may exclude any OE component modified as part of or affected by the installation, etc.

It would be the same with any manufacturer's new car warranty.

The fact that dealers may fit third party manufactured equipment for a customer doesn't alter this.

One cannot expect it to be otherwise.

It just means they have more wiggle-room to get out of honouring the warranty; e.g. if the electrical system dies for no reason, which would normally be covered, but they find a way to blame it on the dash camera rather than pre-existing faulty electrics in the car. Realistically this is unlikely (Frankly, charging these power-hungry smart phones has more chance of affecting the electrics than a dash cam, and if either managed to affect the electrics, barring some catastrophic manufacturing fault, I'd argue the electrics would still be at fault for not being fit for purpose. But I'm not a lawyer...)

Most dash cams come with a plug that goes in the accessories socket or cigarette lighter socket as it used to be called.

If you are worried you can run the cable from the camera under the roof lining, down the door pillar trim, behind the dashboard and just plug it in there. Does look a bit nasty and takes up the socket but won't affect anything related to the car or the warranty. 

Craig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links