Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica sputtering and loss of power after spark plug change

CTSKhaleel

Hi I hope one you geniuses around here can help (not being sarcastic) I know it came out wrong once before lol.... anyways so I have Toyotacelica Tsport 192bhp model it's a 2001 and just recently I was changing spark plugs when all hell went down the socket fell in the spark plug hole and got stuck so after 4 hours of cold air compression and WD-40 I managed to get it out unharmed, I then went and got a spark plug socket (as I should have) and changed all of the plugs I'm using plantinum plugs from Toyotaever since I have done this car runs perfect below 4400 revs after 4500 it starts sputtering and lagging power really bad as if there's another car being towed I've checked the plugs are brand new and in correctly I've checked all the coils noticed a tiny little crack at the top of the rubber on one of them but don't really think that the cause. Now I'm very confused as to where to begin checking cleaned the MAF and throttle body no difference had a code once something to do with exhaust valve circuit but after clearing it never came back problem is still there. Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance.

Thank you very much for your reply, right I bought the NHL platinum laser spark plugs believing they were the exact same ones as the Iridium could that very much be the cause because at first after the spark plug change I had normal cheap bosh ones in and then the problem occurred I thought obviously there's something not right so I went over to a auto parts store gave my reg and they advised me it needs platinum spark plugs so I changed them to platinum ones and now I know Toyota has Iridium spark plugs so will it make any difference if I try them out?

Personally, I'd only fit NGK or Denso Iridium. No NHL, Bosch, or any other brand.

Your car..your choice :smile:

• Like 2

^^^^...agree...my Celica always had Denso Iridium...and nowt else.!..and my current Estima has precisely the same.:smile:

Neil.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Denso SK20R11, that's what my Corolla Comp has got in them.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your reply sorry was having issues trying to reply from my phone at first so I've changed the plugs to denso Iridiums...still nothing has my hopes up very high although i have spotted a little crack on the rubber part of one of my coils it's not a big one but I've taken a picture could a crack this size cause those symptoms? Thank you all

IMG_1016.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

That little chip taken out of the boot? If the spring inside is OK, I don't think that small chip would cause an issue TBH. The only thing is to change the coil if you are not certain.