Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I buy a Rav4 mk2 or mk1?

JonRich

I've been looking at buying a Rav4 for the last month or so, with my initial criteria being: 02-04 Plate, 5door, Petrol, with about 100k on the clock.

This puts me well in the mk2 camp, but last night and this morning I've driven past two different 5door mk1's and I've got to admit they look amazing and I know they come up every now and then at a good price.

What I'm curious about is how different the models are internally and how this will effect running costs? MPG and reliability mainly.

All advice greatly appreciated!

Hi Jon , I have a 2004 mk2 petrol with 101k owned since 51k and it's brilliant . The petrol ones are so reliable with only the odd O2 sensor going . Some manual's had a problem with the 5th gear vibrating which mine did and when really bad pops out of gear but you can just replace the 5th gear and once done sorted. Done mine myself and around £250 for parts. I get around 35 mpg out of mine .  Not too sure about mk1 but a mate of mine had one which done over 200k and was still going.

there was a cosmetic changed from 2002 to 2003. From what I have noticed it is fog lights & indicators.

My gearbox has been ok but had to change 2x O2 sensors. (you would pay a fortune to a dealer for the supply & fitting!)

Brake callipers can get sticky affecting fuel consumption & performance ( mine jumped from high 20's to 32~33)

Rear suspension linkage arms can seize due to different metals used and you may not be able to adjust the rear geometry (as was in my case; but luckily my geometry was ok)

The idle is not the most stable of what I have seen, make sure it does not dip very low when clutching in and braking.

Parts are very expensive but the car is reliable

• 2 weeks later...

My wife had a 2003 Mk2 for 11 years and about 100k miles.In that time it needed two O2 sensors(heater circuit gone) One got replaced,the other ignored as we were selling the car by that time.The air con had gone a bit temperamental by the end but that was all that went wrong with it in the time we had it.With the benefit of hindsight I wish I had kept it as a second car but we chopped it in for a MK3.That was three years ago,the only problem we have had with this one has been that it needed an alternator due to the one way clutch in the pulley getting noisey.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a little late, but there are 3 MK1 RAV4 Giant editions on Fleabay right now.....one has a LPG conversion.  All 3 door and look pretty retro cool.:biggrin: In fact I want one as a play thing.