Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My introduction

Wilfy100

Hi,

After 8 1/2 years and 122000 miles my Yaris Diesel has come to the point when its time to replace it. I really like this car, it was all I wanted. It is economical, super reliable and durable and running costs were acceptable. Although it was only a 1365 cc diesel it was very nippy and the handling was excellent. The only thing that could be improved would be moving the dash display from the centre of the dash to where it should be in front of the driver. I now have a Yaris Hybrid, I have only done about thirty miles in it. Initial impressions are that it is easy and relaxing to drive around town but it is definitely slower on motorways and dual carriageways. I would not be able to keep up with my diesel Yaris on acceleration up to 70mph. I do not like the brakes at all in the Hybrid, they have way to much servo effect. You touch the brake peddle and you end up peeling your face off the inside of the windscreen. I sum totally fail to understand why Toyota made it this way.

I hope I grow to like the hybrid as much as I did the diesel, it is only the impending new diesel congestion charges that prevented me from getting another Yaris diesel.

I do wonder why Toyota do not make a Hybrid with a diesel engine instead of petrol. That would be super economical as well as fine on fast motorway driving. The next few weeks driving will be decisive. If I like it I will keep it until it is worn out with age and mileage. Time will tell.

Cheers Wilfy

Yeah, I'm clinging onto my Mk1 D4D with a death grip! You won't find a more economical and reliable car in that class! It sucks that none of the newer cars beat it without compromises... It's made finding a successor an impossible task for me so far!

It's lucky you prefer the dash in the conventional location; I'm the opposite - I like it in the middle where it isn't obscured by anything, and in that wonderful collimated tunnel so I can glance at it without refocussing my eyes and that makes finding an alternative even harder!

As for the diesel hybrid thing, well it sounds good in theory but diesels need to be run hot for max economy - The on/off duty cycle of the HSDs would lead to it getting clogged with soot because it never runs for long or hard enough to get to optimal running temp to burn it all off.

That and with diesel being blamed for all our environmental woes means most manufacturers will shy away from it now; Heck, Toyota massively reduced R&D into diesels to concentrate on the HSD long ago, so they don't even have their own new engines now - They're doing a cross-trade with BMW for them!

"Toyota massively reduced R&D into diesels to concentrate on the HSD long ago, so they don't even have their own new engines now - They're doing a cross-trade with BMW for them!"

Toyota needed a 1.6 diesel for Europe, and it must have been cheaper to buy in from BMW as part of their collaborative arrangements than to design their own. Toyota do have their own new diesel engines - eg. in 2016 they bought out new 2.4 and 2.8 litre diesels that are in the latest Hilux. The UK currently gets only the 2.4.

Are those new new? I thought they were just tweaks to existing designs, like how the current 1.4 D4D is a slightly tweaked version of the one in my 12 year old Yaris, with extra emcon bits bolted on, not like the major re-designs the petrol engines are getting like the new atkincycle 1.5 that'll replace the 1.3, and the new 1.2T in the Auris!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links