Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.33 2009 - strange motor noise

andromedar

Hello fellow Toyota owners

Recently i got that strange tapping noise ...it seems like it would come from the valve cover area. Is it normal?

The plastic guard on the engine muffles the sound of the "clacking", so i removed it for the video.

I lately also noticed oil consumption has gone up, but i have 0w-16 oil in it...

Please see the Youtube video below:

Thank you all

Is that engine suitable for a 0W 16 grade ? 

Toyota's preferred oil for the 1.33 is 0W-20. See 

Taken from oilspecifications.org - When the first SAE 16 oils will appear (likely as 0W16 and 5W16 oils) they will only be suitable to be used in vehicles where the engine is designed to operate with such a low viscosity oil. 

• Like 1

Blimey, that stuff must be like water! I imagine on a normal engine it would just run easily right past the piston rings!

• Like 1

Must admit, when I first read 0W16 grade I thought it was a typo, didnt know they used 16.

Now the question is:- did the strange tapping sound appear soon after the 0W16 oil was used?

Oil needs sorting anyway.

• Like 1

Done some digging on 0w-16 oil and it was introduced a few years after the OP car. There are few companies who produce this grade - Ravenol, Penriteoil, Mobile, and Eneos.
Found a compatibility list from one of the producers -  http://www.eneos.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ENEOS-0W16-Compatibility-List_12-5-16.pdf

Why would anyone put oil outside the recommended grades, in their engine? I aim for the preferred grade 0w-20, then the closest match. 0w-16 is too thin and the main components the oil is meant to protect are suffering and the oil consumption has increased. I would change the oil to 10w-30 to see if the engine is more quiet and the consumption improved. Then you will know if the damage is permanent or you got away with it. 

One last question. Was this the OP choice of grade or a garage? 

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

Must admit, when I first read 0W16 grade I thought it was a typo, didnt know they used 16.

Now the question is:- did the strange tapping sound appear soon after the 0W16 oil was used?

Oil needs sorting anyway.

I "think" the tapping noise was there before the oil change. Will let the garage change the oil to a toyota one (i think they are doig with Toyota branded 5w30).

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Done some digging on 0w-16 oil and it was introduced a few years after the OP car. There are few companies who produce this grade - Ravenol, Penriteoil, Mobile, and Eneos.
Found a compatibility list from one of the producers -  http://www.eneos.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/ENEOS-0W16-Compatibility-List_12-5-16.pdf

Why would anyone put oil outside the recommended grades, in their engine? I aim for the preferred grade 0w-20, then the closest match. 0w-16 is too thin and the main components the oil is meant to protect are suffering and the oil consumption has increased. I would change the oil to 10w-30 to see if the engine is more quiet and the consumption improved. Then you will know if the damage is permanent or you got away with it. 

One last question. Was this the OP choice of grade or a garage? 

It was my choice :\

Are there any other 1.33 owners here, who can confirm have or have not that sound?

Thank you guys.

I certainly have no abnormal sounds from mine. Recordings such as you have done may or may not give a true representation though. From outside the car with bonnet closed and mine is very quiet indeed at idle.

Yeah, with protective plastic on and bonnet closed the sound is not heard (or very very quiet) on mine.

so andromedar, when did the tapping noise start - before you put the 16 oil in or after the change to 16 ????

Seems strange to choose something not specified by the car manufacturer.

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

so andromedar, when did the tapping noise start - before you put the 16 oil in or after the change to 16 ????

Seems strange to choose something not specified by the car manufacturer.

Yes, i think the sound was there before the oil was changed to 16 grade.

I'm just wondering whether it is actually the fuel injectors you hear clicking (which would be normal). 

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

I'm just wondering whether it is actually the fuel injectors you hear clicking (which would be normal). 

Unfortunately i don't know what sound they make as i don't have another 1NR-FE motor to compare :(

There are lots of YouTube vids of injector noise:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links