Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator Belt Replacement

Perfection

Is it reasonable to replace the belt at 120k miles along with the tensioner and water pump?

Note none of the above parts are faulty at the moment - just as a precaution.

It's not as bad as it is in some cars to do, and since it's not going wrong yet you have plenty of time to shop around for a good price and reputable garage/mechanic!

I had mine done about about half that mileage I think (Was trying to sort out the damned cat-screech belt-squeal problem, and my dad's Verso's water pump was leaking so I figured buy all the bits from our friendly forumhood dealer PartsKing and get both of them done in one go!)

BTW, if you're doing the water pump and the alternator belt, and yours is a Mk1 Yaris, get the power steering belt done as well as they're all in the same place.

No one ever wasted money on pre-emptive maintenance.

• Like 2

I lost the family RAV4 this week due to alternator belt snapped. A family member was driving and ignored all the warnings on the dash board. The engine obviously have overheated and to be scrapped. 

So its just a precaution/preemptive action I am taking as the car is not always driven by drivers where they will stop the car and investigate the problem if abnormal sound is coming from the engine or a warning light is lit.

The Yaris is a Mk 2 2010 with 120k miles. The car had the following replacement to date for those who wanted to know what does wrong with a high mileage Yaris

- Alternator at 20K miles

- Battery at 100k miles

- Tyres and Front pads at 40k, 90k miles

- DPF at 60k miles and now cleaning the second one

- Front disc and pads at 120k miles 

So that alternator belt, you would think, would have done 100k by now.

I don't know enough about Yaris engines, but I tend to go by the idea that a belt will last about 60/70k miles or 5 years. At that point it needs changing.

Yes the belt is 120k now.....

On 2017-6-16 at 11:26 AM, Perfection said:

I lost the family RAV4 this week due to alternator belt snapped. A family member was driving and ignored all the warnings on the dash board. The engine obviously have overheated and to be scrapped. 

So its just a precaution/preemptive action I am taking as the car is not always driven by drivers where they will stop the car and investigate the problem if abnormal sound is coming from the engine or a warning light is lit.

The Yaris is a Mk 2 2010 with 120k miles. The car had the following replacement to date for those who wanted to know what does wrong with a high mileage Yaris

- Alternator at 20K miles

- Battery at 100k miles

- Tyres and Front pads at 40k, 90k miles

- DPF at 60k miles and now cleaning the second one

- Front disc and pads at 120k miles 

Did you manage to have this done yet, if so where and were you happy with the results?

Hi Stantheman...

I got it cleaned and Toyota to reprogram the ECU and all good now. Regen goes back up to around 600 miles between cycles.

What I have done is bought a second hand one from scrap yard and send that away for test and clean. This way I always have a spare and the down time of the car is about half day.

I hope the car can get to the moon and back now... Hopefully the car will last beyond 200K ++ miles.

I am wondering if the gearbox oil should be change now....? It never changed before. 

1 hour ago, Perfection said:

Hi Stantheman...

I got it cleaned and Toyota to reprogram the ECU and all good now. Regen goes back up to around 600 miles between cycles.

What I have done is bought a second hand one from scrap yard and send that away for test and clean. This way I always have a spare and the down time of the car is about half day.

I hope the car can get to the moon and back now... Hopefully the car will last beyond 200K ++ miles.

I am wondering if the gearbox oil should be change now....? It never changed before. 

Glad to hear your happy with your dpf. Where did you have it cleaned and are you using the same place for the second hand unit too? Oh, and out of interest was it expensive? Re:gearbox oil changes,has your car ever had a new clutch, if so then the gearbox oil will have been changed, I could be wrong(my memory is not the best :unsure: ) but on the mk1 the recommendation was to change the oil every 40k but there are no intervals for the mk2 at all. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links