Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ticking noise from the engine after driving - Rav4 2011

Respa

Hi,

I bought two weeks ago Rav4 2011 (Not diesel), I took the vehicle for inspection and the engine test came out perfect. 
Yesterday I noticed a noise of a ticking that comes from the engine after a half-hour drive, the next morning I started the car but the noise disappeared.

I uploaded an audio file of the noise:
https://soundcloud.com/user-842989877/001a

Do I have to worry or is it normal noise? If not, what could the noise be?

Thanks!

Hi Ace... <?>

Check out this thread from the forum awhile ago...

It seems that some Toyota engines do have a ticking noise as part of the design (?)  I would get a Toyota Tech to check it out while the noise is present (but not a Tech from the garage you purchased it from).  When I worked at a Ford main dealer as a mechanic many years ago, in a simpler time... we would have stripped and rebuilt an engine making as much noise as that... but times change LOL

• Like 1

I think it's really about the same noise as other people describe. I found a video on YouTube with exactly the same noise that I experienced yesterday.

Do I miss something? everyone says it's normal noise for this kind of engine, is it true?

Yup, well their you go... be happy that everything is as it is suposed to be and just turn your stereo up to drown the noise :)  I hear that the Toyota design engineer that designed the system is on drain clearing duties now :)

On 6/19/2017 at 1:43 PM, daveh_rav4 said:

Hi Ace... <?>

Check out this thread from the forum awhile ago...

It seems that some Toyota engines do have a ticking noise as part of the design (?)  I would get a Toyota Tech to check it out while the noise is present (but not a Tech from the garage you purchased it from).  When I worked at a Ford main dealer as a mechanic many years ago, in a simpler time... we would have stripped and rebuilt an engine making as much noise as that... but times change LOL

This is why I made the post regarding the Valvematic tick. I was aware of the tick and did the research on the engine design. I traced the noise to the vacuum pump which is needed, due to the way the throttle is fully open, which in turn creates less of a vacuum that supplies the brake servo. There should be a warning sticker informing of the source of noise!
Overall a good engine.