Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aircon - crap?

NorthantsPete

So i had the aircon regassed the other day and it was ok, really cold.

However now the real weather has hit, 30 degrees, the aircon isnt really working/coping

Its cold on the passenger side but the drivers is cool-ISH air

Is this normal? have i had a duff regass? or isnt it great for aircon?

can only imagine it will be an expensive repair

Did they check for leaks before re-gassing?

30 minutes ago, NorthantsPete said:

apparently...

But not likely...................

having a re-gas only is a bit like having a shave, putting the foam on your face but not actually having the shave :rolleyes:

In other words just putting gas in is not good enough on its own. An air con service involves checking for leaks, evacuation the system, recharging and oiling the system and checking to see how far it cools down

It is quite common on Avensis for the high side pipe to corrode, so you may have a leak, you need to get it checked out properly 

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I think if it's ice cold on one side then it's unlikely to be a leak, more likely a flap in the system that's not working properly on the drivers side.Is it air conditioning or climate control? If the former is the heater control set to cold? What happens if you set it to hot, do both sides produce hot air?

I have a/c problems too. It only blows hot air and recently started getting sour milk smells when i turn it on. I have dual climate. Want to get it sorted but dont want to be conned (no pun intended)

Go to a dealer who has the latest automatic system, which does as Parts King says, it's the only way,  my local garage did my last car last year for £39.00, bargain.

I'm toying with the idea of taking mine to Kwikfit for a re-gas.....has anyone had good results from them?

Your dealer will typically charge £49 for an air con SERVICE, which is more involved than just a re-gas. According to the KF website they charge FROM £49 and cannot do the latest 1234YF and Hybrids, I would be inclined to send people to the dealer

My Avensis is a 2000 year so they might do that? I imagine that the dealer will want considerably more than 50 quid for doing it, judging by the fact that they wanted 20 quid for a bolt

Edit....sorry, I misread. If the dealer does a service and re-gas for 50 quid...i might take it there......or will they add VAT to that?

Just checked...Johnsons Toyota want 85 quid for a "Regas and Cleanse"....pus vat I'll bet....so I wont be going there

56 minutes ago, JohnP1961 said:

I'm toying with the idea of taking mine to Kwikfit for a re-gas.....has anyone had good results from them?

Sadly no, KF did mine, the full monty, Not! it was empty within 36hrs, took it to another local KF who said it had a leak and was not cleaned, tested or checked. Head office gave a full refund & apology. Got it fixed elsewhere!

Shop around - Vantage Toyota will do a re-gas for £39.95 or an air con service for £59.95

• Like 1

It would cost me more in petrol driving to any other main dealers further than Johnsons, than I would save...Kwikfit it is

I'll watch them doing the leak test, its still got coolant in after 17 years so I doubt there is one......and I believe I should be expecting 30-40lbs on the low pressure line and 150lb on the high pressure. Dont get me wrong, my experience with Kwikfit has been laughable in the past, (MOT) but I've heard they're OK on Air Con

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine done by Kwikfit a week ago, They just plugged it into the machine and left it doing its stuff for 40 mins or so. If they did any tests, they didn't mention anything to me. I could tell a noticeable improvement on driving it away and its still good now. Its gone even better since I changed the Cabin filters. This was the first time I'd had anything done to the A/C in 17 years....£49....very satisfied

1 hour ago, JohnP1961 said:

Had mine done by Kwikfit a week ago, They just plugged it into the machine and left it doing its stuff for 40 mins or so. If they did any tests, they didn't mention anything to me. I could tell a noticeable improvement on driving it away and its still good now. Its gone even better since I changed the Cabin filters. This was the first time I'd had anything done to the A/C in 17 years....£49....very satisfied

My previous Mk1 '98 Avensis air-con worked well up to the time I sold it early 2016. The air-con lasted 5 years between recharges which was done in the same year as as the cm belt change. I did use it in the winter and when it rained, to clear the windows. The cabin filter on the Mk1 were awkward because they are left or right handed - Cheap brand tend to be for left hand drive, whilst proper Denso/Toyota are right hand drive. Mk2 and Mk3 are much easier being one fits all, and cheaper. 
My current Mk3 air-con is working, but I think it may be due for a re-gas.
Regarding the machines used to re-gas the air-con. It is mostly automatic, but I think it will let the operator know if the air-con has a leak, as well as measuring the contents raining in the system.      

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links