Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement CD/ Radio for '07 model?

Kanga77

Hiya,

Hoping someone knows the answer to this....

The CD player in my 07 plate Aygo has gone bonkers. Some of the buttons don't work at all any more & others do weird things that they're not meant to. Unless I want to be listening to the same song over & over (which will also drive me bonkers), I need to get a replacement unit. I'd really like to take the opportunity, if possible, to upgrade it to a DAB + CD player. Does anyone know if this is possible & if so, which ones are compatible? If this isn't possible, does anyone know how easy it is to do a straight replacement with the existing unit?

Thanks very much in advance :)

Hi Ruth,

It is possible with a few skills and the help from the many YouTube videos, to change your Stereo to an "After Market" DAB radio/CD player but you have to be confident in doing it and the first hurdle is the removal of the dash panel and your old radio.  I would recommend that you watch this video to see wether you fancy tackling the job:

You will notice that half way through the job the "Expert" accidentaly puts his elbow on the horn and it sounds!.....Naughty!  The first job should have been to disconnect the earth wire on the Battery, the one which the lead goes direct to the car body.....Basic safety for you and the car's wiring loom.

If you feel confident in doing that, replacing the stereo is the reverse, followed by re-connecting the Battery.

As you can see from the end of the video, when the Aygo stereo is removed, you are left with a fairly standard hole in the dash that any "Single Din" (Normal looking) stereo can fit into but you will need one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-Toyota-Stereo-Adaptor-Fp-11-06/dp/B001JOJH5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498026990&sr=8-1&keywords=Toyota+Aygo+fascia

To fit the new stereo through and make a neat, finished job of it. To take the dash panel off, the expert used a trim removal tool such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOGOO-BB-FR-2-Panel-Audio-Removal/dp/B009YDZ3TM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498027116&sr=8-5&keywords=trim+removal+tool

You will also need to get a DAB aerial for your car as the normal aerial will not do and the easiest way of doing that is to get a DAB aerial which mounts on the windscreen, such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Digital-Aerial-Antenna-Pioneer/dp/B01DZW2Y3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498027225&sr=8-1&keywords=car+dab+aerial

You can get a roof mounted DAB/FM aerial to replace your existing one but that is quite a fiddly job to route the wires under the headlining and down the door pillars.

To make things easier in re-fitting your new stereo you will need an adaptor lead like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Change-Harness-adaptor-PC2-36-4/dp/B0081S644E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498027845&sr=8-5&keywords=audio+lead+iso+with+connections

You will notice that the red and yellow leads on that are split and have "Bullet Connectors" on them, that is because on the Aygo you normally have to connect the red wire to the yellow and the yellow wire to the red....Sounds bonkers but it is because the wires are a constant live (For your clock and radio station presets) and a switched live, so that the stereo itself turns off with your ignition.  You will know if this needs to be swapped as your new stereo won't remember the stations if you've got it wrong....Nothing to worry about electrically, it's just a thing that you have to be aware of and is easily remedied with one of those adaptors......It's an Aygo thing! :wink:

Finally, if your new stereo has a "Normal" aerial hole (For FM) as well as the screw on DAB aerial thread you can use the connection from your roof aerial to connect that, as well as the DAB aerial and so you'll need one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Aerial-Adaptor-Radio-ISO/dp/B001EGP3RY/ref=pd_bxgy_107_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PZQKK5S4S0VF1SBS5GSR

As the aerial connection on your existing stereo will be different to your new one.

OK then, Ruth, if you've stayed with me, you deserve a medal or a cup of tea and a custard cream.  It looks and sounds a daunting job but to be honest it is probably the easiest electrical job to do on any car.  It's probably the first one that any of us on here did to our first cars, and it used to be a lot more complicated before those ISO cable adaptors and plugs made things simpler.

There are loads of "How-To" videos on YouTube and you can always ask somebody on here if you are unsure of anything.  Whilst I'm putting all these links in, here is another:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Highway-Digital-Connection-Bluetooth/dp/B00PDCNR6Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498028848&sr=8-4&keywords=car+dab+radio

That's the kind of stereo you can fit if you follow all the instructions in the various videos and guides and you should end up with a nice little set-up.....Just take your time and take care.......If you are unsure at all, get it all fitted by a professional. Halfords will do it for £35.00 (I think) and any Auto Electrician or even your local independant Garage, where you get your car serviced, will probably do it for £50-£60 and that might give you some peace of mind if the job worries you......Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that because you are a Lady, many Men don't feel confident with this kind of thing and would rather pay for that lovely peace of mind.

I hope that I've helped in some way and if you have any more questions, then I or somebody else on here will be only too happy to have a go at helping you.

Take care, Ruth and all the best.:smile:

• Like 1

Hi again Ruth,

I found this video to explain what I mean about crossing over the red and yellow wires using one of those adaptor cables with the bullet connectors on.  The video also gives you an idea as to how your Aygo will look with an after market stereo installed:

I hope that helps.

If you do fancy having a go at doing this then it is an "unplug and plug back in" job that is fairly simple and would take, if you bide your time, less than an hour, maybe a bit longer to fit the DAB aerial and route the cable but if you call it a "Saturday morning job", you'll have time to spare.

Good luck but if you have any worries at all, get the job done professionally.

All the best. :smile:

• Like 1

Hi Neil

Thank you so much for your very considered and detailed replies, I appreciate all the time you spent in writing it & getting all the links for me and it's really helpful. I'm absolutely thrilled that I can get a DAB to fit my car, it's great news! So, to be honest, I haven't got the first clue about wires or electronics and the descriptions and videos of how to do it all were enough to make me decide that there's no chance I'll try it myself so I'll ask Halfords to do it. So, another two questions if you don't mind - My parents got a retro-fit DAB for their mondeo, with the aerial stuck to the windscreen & it's absolutely dreadful (no idea what make it is) - hardly ever picks up digital stations. I'm keen to get a decent one - is the one you included a link to a product that you would choose if you were me? If not, is there a particular one that you would choose? Should I also be buying all the relevant components that you mentioned in your first message, if I want decent quality, or would these things be of a similar standard when supplied and fitted by a company like Halfords

Many thanks again in advance :)

Ruth

• Like 1

Hi Ruth,

The fact that you don't fancy doing the job is totally understandable, like I said, whilst it's not that difficult, it's not for everybody.  However, how is your Dad at stuff like this as you say he and your Mum have got a DAB in their Mondeo?  We all have to start somewhere and if your Dad was around to give you a bit of confidence and help....It's do-able....Honest!

If you do go for a professional fit then Halfords will (I think) only fit what they sell and so you would have to go on the website and order the Fascia (They probably won't have one in the store for an Aygo) and the rest of the stuff and you might be a bit limited with the range that they have...I've had a look and I'm not that impressed.

Have a word with your local Garage, they might charge a bit more than Halfords for fitting but you would be able to buy the Stereo and fitting bits and bobs that you actually want, rather than what Halfords can sell you. If you can source the stuff yourself, not only do you get more choice, you will save yourself a lot of money against the Halfords prices.

If I was fitting a Dab myself, I would be pleased with the "Pure" stereo, they have made their name on Dab equipment, we have 2 Pure Radio/Clock Radios in the house and they are great.  The aerial is something else however, I'm not a fan of the windscreen/stick on aerials as I totally agree with you (You see, you do know something about electronics and wiring!) that they are all pretty poor, so if I was doing the job I would fit one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Roof-Antenna-AM-DAB/dp/B00LFHUWLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498079450&sr=8-1&keywords=dab+car+aerial

That would mean replacing your roof aerial and like I say, it's a more tricky job but it's a better way of doing it as it is a DAB and FM aerial, all in one,

Another way that I've seen is to mount one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Digital-Antenna-Aerial-Connector/dp/B01HZAN5YA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1498080556&sr=8-15&keywords=dab+car+aerial

On the rear parcel shelf, behind the driver (So that it doesn't distract you when you look in the rear view mirror) and feed the lead back under the carpet to the radio. They are only 12 inches long but I think they are better than the windscreen ones. The base is magnetic but you could attach it with sticky pads or a thin metal plate under the parcel shelf would give it enough magnetic "Stickiness" to stay in place.

As I say, have a word with your local Garage, if they don't do stuff like this, they might be able to recommend a local Auto Electrician that does and whilst he or they, would charge more than Halfords, I would feel safer that you have had your new stereo fitted by either of them.  Ask them for a price and then have a good look around for the bits that you actually want....It's your car, after all! :wink:

Take care Ruth, good luck and happy hunting.....You'll get there in the end, I'm sure of that! :smile:

• Like 1

Hi again Neil,

Super speedy response & really helpful again, thank you so much! My Dad is probably even less electronically minded than me.... and that's saying something!! They got theirs done at Halfords. I will take your advice and speak to my local garage tomorrow - I spend a lot of time in my little car, to & from work, and I'd much rather spend a bit more and be happy with the result. I'm certain that, if they can't do it themselves, they'll recommend someone who can.

So... I've just been on Amazon & have bought the Pure radio you suggested, along with the roof aerial.... Very excited at the prospect of having a DAB radio in my car (looking forward to being able to choose which tracks I want to listen to on my CDs too!)!

I'll let you know how it all goes..

Thank you very much indeed for your time and advice, within a single day of joining the forum I have the answer to my question and loads of help too. Very much appreciated :) 

Ruth :)

• Like 1

Crikey Ruth, you don't hang about do you? :wink:

Dont forget the plastic fascia plate (The new radio won't fit properly or look right without it) and the wiring adaptor with the connectors on. If you are having the Radio professionally fitted, you can forget the trim removal tools as the Garage will have all of those and the little aerial adaptor is an easy find for a couple of quid at any car accessory shop, Halfords, or again, the Garage or Radio Fitter should be able to supply one.

As for my time and advice, Ruth, you are welcome, think nothing of it as that is what this forum is supposed to be all about. If it wasn't me that helped you, it would have been somebody else.

Yes, please tell us how you get on and don't get too excited...You'll never sleep tonight!!!! 

Take care and all the best,

Neil. :smile:

P.S.  My mistake....If you have ordered the roof aerial then you won't need the little aerial adaptor as the lead from the new aerial will be correct for your new radio.

It would be fair to say that I'm not a very patient person and, more importantly, I'd be completely wibble with another month of spending 3 hours a day in my car listening to the same blummin' song over and over!!

I'm glad you prompted me about the fascia plate & adaptor, I got swept away with excitement about the radio!

Thank you again :)

Ruth 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links