Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine oil gets black really quick

nielshm

My old 1.6 liter Corolla had its oil changed every 10.000 miles. The car did 150 K miles, but the color of the oil was never darker than brown. My new 1.2 Auris is different, oil change is still every 10.000, but the oil is black after just 4.000 miles. The car has done 25.000 miles by now, and should be fully broken in. Is it caused by the Egr valve? How much exhaust gas is send through the intake, maybe a lot more than on my old Corolla?? 

Since your car has a turbo, direct injection, as well as the EGR, the oil has a much harder time. These items not on any other current Toyota petrol engine. I can imagine more carbon introduced to the combustion chamber, higher pressures with blow by likely. This engine has all the items of a diesel engine. Good quality oil will be important as well as regular changes. 
Talking of EGR, I wonder what the inside of the EGR and the inlet side including valves are like? I remember VW direct injection engines had carbon build up, that had to be cleaned out.
I can see more maintenance required for the engine in the future,  compared to my Valvematic engine.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Talking of EGR, I wonder what the inside of the EGR and the inlet side including valves are like? I remember VW direct injection engines had carbon build up, that had to be cleaned out. I can see more maintenance required for the engine in the future,  compared to my Valvematic engine.   

Don't get me started on that one. :ohmy: The wife's recent run-in with a dead EGR valve on her diesel Golf brought us face to face with the unwelcome fact that VW's famous dieselgate fix is killing EGRs and DPFs by the tens of thousands. Just a slight bit of tweaking of the exhaust mix, and suddenly there's double the amount of soot going back through the EGR. And, as Corporal Jones would say, they don't like it up 'em, sir.

How do I know that? It took our indy garage three [!!*&$$"] weeks to lay its hands on a replacement EGR valve. All over the country, VW dealers are hoovering up all the supplies of EGR valves they can get, and the parts shortage is getting steadily worse.

But yes, agree that the turbo will be contributing to the dirt. I'm another one who likes the turbo-less simplicity of my Valvematic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Countrylad said:

How do I know that? It took our indy garage three [!!*&$$"] weeks to lay its hands on a replacement EGR valve. All over the country, VW dealers are hoovering up all the supplies of EGR valves they can get, and the parts shortage is getting steadily worse.

But yes, agree that the turbo will be contributing to the dirt. I'm another one who likes the turbo-less simplicity of my Valvematic.

Makes sense why VW are stopping production of diesel engined cars. Imagine adding the cost of an EGR valve replacement to a service on one of those engines? It's the same as adding that Ad Blue stuff every time you fill your car up with diesel. It's ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Makes sense why VW are stopping production of diesel engined cars.

they aren't (at least in the short term). What they are doing is stopping development of small capacity diesels (~1.4/5 litre) because the cost of additional emission equipment will be such a high % of the cost of Polo sized vehicles. They have also said that they will stop production of the existing 1.4l 3 cylinder tdi but haven't said when (afaik).

• Like 2

Actually, I was also referring to VW's petrol TSi engines, which have carbon issues affecting the inlet valves. I could add that VW had issues with the chain for the camshafts. 
After checking my 11 months old Valvematic engine oil, it is gold to brown, depending if viewed on dipstick of tissue, and just about at max. This on 1.8 Avensis '09.      

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links