Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 Pre Aug 2000 Idler Pulley 7A-FE Engine

JohnP1961

Hello, while changing the Timing Belt on this car for the first time, (eventually successfully), I ended up pretty much wrecking the Idler Pulley, (the pulley that tensions the Aircon belt). I have cross threaded the tensioner bolt and broken it in two, with one half still stuck in the Pulley spindle bolt and that Spindle bolt still stuck shaking around the area it lives in. It looks like I may be able to manoever that Spindle bolt out if I take out the alternator to get more space. Once I get the Spindle bolt out, I will have to re-thread the female hole that goes through the side of it to get a new adjuster bolt in. It looks like the Adjuster bolt is an M8 thread, does anyone know if this is correct? Also how long is the adjuster bolt? I can't measure it because it is sheared on two and half of it is still stuck in the Spindle Bolt, which is still stuck, shaking around the area it lives in. Toyota have told me it will cost 20 quid for a new Adjuster Bolt.....and near a 100 quid for a new Idler Pulley kit....so they're having a laugh.
What order does the Pulley, washers, etc, go back on the Spindle bolt, (and which way around?). I dont have the nut that screws on the Spindle to keep it all together as I had to chisel that off, does anyone know what size that nut that is? I have attached pics of what I have and also, a pic of the kind of arrangement I have on the car.

19388505_1442710249118724_6756138580025764291_o.jpg

s-l500.png

Incidentally, the timing belt was only changed (for the first time) at 103000 miles because I had only just realised it was not a chain....which I had been told at 60,000miles. The old belt still looked good, too...go figure

Look at this topic and my photos - 

I cannot help any further because I never been in your situation. You may need to source a car from a savage yard to get the part or main dealers.

Hi Konrad, your pics are indeed of the same set up. I think I can see the arrangement of the bits on the Pulley Spindle. Do you know what size that nut that holds it all together, is? As I said, I destroyed mine, chiseling it off. Also, can you tell me how long the Adjustment bolt is...and if poss, is it an M8 thread?

we posted at the same time......I think the only replacement parts I need are the Adjustment Bolt and also, the nut that goes on the Pulley Spindle. Im hoping I can just get these from a nuts and bolts store...or worst case scenario...use some taps and dies.....I will probably have to rethread the hole on the Pulley Spndle Bolt, anyway to get the Adjustment Bolt, back in and working sweetly.

Many thanks for your reply anyway...it does help

2 minutes ago, JohnP1961 said:

Hi Konrad, your pics are indeed of the same set up. I think I can see the arrangement of the bits on the Pulley Spindle. Do you know what size that nut that holds it all together, is? As I said, I destroyed mine, chiseling it off. Also, can you tell me how long the Adjustment bolt is...and if poss, is it an M8 thread?

Hi John, I cannot answer the question on bolt size and thread. It's been nearly 5 years since I replaced the crank pulley and belts, and sold the car over a year ago. What I do remember was the adjustment involved two bolts. The centre bolt through the pulley is lock nut, and bolt above is the tension adjustment. Do you have a Haynes manual which covers this in the Maintenance procedures, chapter 1.10.

P1180322.thumb.JPG.75f4e72ea5b798fc324c5cf470a1ebde.JPG

In photo, notice the adjustment pulley, just above the belt. If completely removed, will this release the locking bolt?
Also I did not think you needed to remove the air-con tension pulley. Just remove the belts and crank pulley. 

Let's hope you don't need to remove the b racket holding the A/C compressor.

I've removed the aircon Tension pulley...and in doing so, sheared the the adjustment bolt in two, cross threaded the female thread in the Spindle bolt and broken the nut that holds the pulley on the Spindle. I need that nut and also the Adjustment bolt, too (Toyota want 20 quid for this bolt alone). I can re-thread the hole in the Spindle bolt

Obviously, I cocked up the Aircon belt removal process....just couldn't shift the Spndle nut at all and had to resort to using a chisel on it...which got me to this position I'm in now

23 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Hi John, I cannot answer the question on bolt size and thread. It's been nearly 5 years since I replaced the crank pulley and belts, and sold the car over a year ago. What I do remember was the adjustment involved two bolts. The centre bolt through the pulley is lock nut, and bolt above is the tension adjustment. Do you have a Haynes manual which covers this in the Maintenance procedures, chapter 1.10.

P1180322.thumb.JPG.75f4e72ea5b798fc324c5cf470a1ebde.JPG

In photo, notice the adjustment pulley, just above the belt. If completely removed, will this release the locking bolt?
Also I did not think you needed to remove the air-con tension pulley. Just remove the belts and crank pulley. 

Let's hope you don't need to remove the b racket holding the A/C compressor.

My worst nightmare is having to remove the Compressor bracket to get the Spindle out (as it has half of the Tension Adjustment bolt stuck out the side of it). I am hoping that if I take out the alternator....and maybe that 10mm bolt that's in the middle Timing Belt cover, that I may be able to slip the Spindle out

Right I have done a little digging and understand what has gone wrong. The pulley spindle is not designed to be removed via the centre nut. The adjustment bolt has to be wound right out to remove the pulley! Look at the diagram and you will understand. 
http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1998/avensis/at221r-almekw/3_273540_026_/electrical/8719_heating-air-conditioning-compressor#88595D

If you show me the photo of the broken part ( not the pulley you already posted) it may confirm my theory. 

The Broken part is still stuck in where it lives. The broken part is the Tension Adjustment bolt, it is sheared in two, half of it is still cross threaded in to the end of the Pulley Spindle, (where it should be, only not cross threaded).

Here is a pic of the other half that came out. I need a new version of this. Does anyone know if it is it an M8 thread and how long is it when in tact? I need a new one of these, preferably by not paying Toyota, 20 quid for it. I also need whatever nut, (what size nut is this?), screws on to the end of the spindle bolt to lock the whole pulley tight

In your pic, the new bolt I need is part No 88446, I also need the nut that is tightened over the end of the Spindle bolt

19390980_1442809042442178_318509587379987230_o.jpg

3 minutes ago, JohnP1961 said:

The Broken part is still stuck in where it lives. The broken part is the Tension Adjustment bolt, it is sheared in two, half of it is still cross threaded in to the end of the Pulley Spindle, (where it should be, only not cross threaded).

Here is a pic of the other half that came out. I need a new version of this. Does anyone know if it is it an M8 thread and how long is it when in tact? I need a new one of these, preferably by not paying Toyota, 20 quid for it. I also need whatever nut, (what size nut is this?), screws on to the end of the spindle bolt to lock the whole pulley tight

19390980_1442809042442178_318509587379987230_o.jpg

So the rest of the tension bolt is still in the spindle, and that is stuck on the bracket? Can you get a photo of that too? 

Too tight to get a photo...but pretty much, yes....it is shaking around where it used to live. It looks like, if I take out the Alternator...and maybe that nearby Timing Belt cover bolt, I may be able to get the spindle out, complete with the half of Adjustent bolt that is sheared in to it, out....fingers crossed

• Like 1

Managed to get the Pulley Spindle out, once I took out the Alternator to make to space, complete with half a sheared Adjustment bolt stuck in it. I Stilsoned the sheared bolt out of it, re-threaded it and sourced an M8 X 70mm bolt as a replacement for the sheared Adjustment bolt and its a perfect match...yippeee.

I miked the threaded spigot on the end of the Spindle bolt and it read as 10mm, so I went out and bought some M10 nuts and the pulley assembly would have been complete, only...................the M10 nut doesnt fit????? it goes on about 4 turns then just jams up? Might this thread be a different pitch?

Might I be able to get the correct nut from Toyota in the morning? I ask because when I tried to get the Spindle bolt off Toyota, they told me you cant buy just that, you have to buy the whole Idler Pulley assembly....which they wanted going on 90 quid plus VAT??? It is seeming like this needed nut may be Toyota specific in which case they've got me by the short and curlies if they won't sell it by itself.

Getting there John. The spindle bolt is your next battle. Now is the time to check with breakers. There is one called North West Car Parts, but I would try local places. I hate the fact you can buy parts as complete units. 

Just phoned Toyota, (Johnsons). They told me because the nut is not listed individually, that I would have to buy the whole Idler pulley assembly to get one....roughly, 100 quid....effing ridiculous!!!

I have managed to find the original one, although its chiseled to a pulp. I'll try to see if I can get it on tight enough but then I'm worried I will never be able to get it of again, as there's no way I will be able to get a safe grip on it with a spanner or socket...
Incidentally, what is the model number of the belt that this pulley tensions, I may as well put on a new one....(non Toyota and cheaper, preferably).

The Air Conditioning on this car was working before all this, albeit, not very coldly. I was hoping if I got it re-gassed, I might have gotten a noticeable improvement. I was thinking of letting KwikFit do it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links