Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adjusting Handbrake Cable on Hybrid

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

Is it possible to adjust the handbrake cable yourself, or does this require Mr. T?

I noticed the other day the car had sat up on its back-end because the handbrake wasn't holding the vehicle. I tested it (on a shallow incline) and I could hardly stop the car even pulling as hard as possible from about 0.25 MPH (I released the service brake to allow the car to just start moving in Neutral then pulled the handbrake).

The handbrake should stop/hold the car at 3 clicks, but even pulling hard barely had an effect! :ohmy:

I only ever use the handbrake for parking, so rather bemused as to why it is apparently so ineffective.

Are they known to corrode at all?

During the last winter, I did have a couple of days where the handbrake was stuck on (handbrake fully released) and it required power to break them free (in reverse). I didn't like doing it at the time, but not convinced this didn't damage them.

Thanks in advance!

Doesn't sound right, but haven't tried the handbrake in the same way to see how ours behaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have rear discs, it might be normal; The handbrake in most cars with rear-disc brakes (Although not all!) is connected to a tiny drum brake inside the rear disc hub and it will hold the car when stationary but be next to useless in stopping the car unless you pull it hard enough to lock the wheels.

That said, if it worked better previously and haven't worked properly since they had gotten stuck at some point, it would be worth getting them looked at as it's not unheardof for the brake shoe lining to shear off!

It's possible they just need adjusting, but unlikely - on rear-disc cars they should last the life of the vehicle as they don't contribute to the stopping force and thus get little to no wear.

The handbrake has to meet a minimum efficiency for the MOT. It seems to me yours doesn't.

You've a little while to sort it out, perhaps under warranty due to the car's age?

Do you hose down or pressure wash the car and then put it away without going for a run after?

5 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

The handbrake has to meet a minimum efficiency for the MOT. It seems to me yours doesn't.

You've a little while to sort it out, perhaps under warranty due to the car's age?

Do you hose down or pressure wash the car and then put it away without going for a run after?

As I wrote in my original post, it has definitely changed from what it used to be. Before, 3 clicks would stop the car, but now I can hardly stop it by pulling hard, so there is definitely something going on.

Note that it is a shallow incline driveway. I set the car in Neutral, and hold it on the footbrake. I release the footbrake and as soon as the car starts moving I click the handbrake on. Before, this stopped the car adequately, but now, it would roll into the road.

When I wash the car, I always take it for a run afterwards to clear the water out and try and get some heat into the discs (easier said than done - hybrids brakes are hard to get heat into).

@Cyker: My car has rear discs, yes. It was some months ago since they were stuck on, and I'm only noticing this now, so I'm not sure what has changed.

Can this be a warranty issue? Like you say, they are only used for parking, so shouldn't be worn out. If so, I'll get it to the garage.

Yaris Hybrid ( as do most MK3 Yaris ) come with rear discs/pads , they do not have any form of parking brake shoes, the handbrake cables pull on levers on the rear calipers which squeeze the pads on to the discs when the parking brake is applied. This is why you have noticed the brakes dragging especially in the winter when damp causes the pads to stick to the discs and pop/crack when you move off.

Adjustment of the parking brake is not covered under warranty as it is a serviceable function subject to wear and tear, routine adjustment is included with a Toyota full service which on your 2015 should be due soonish ?

• Like 1

Ahh, thanks for the clarification Devon.

I wonder if this is becoming more common? I always thought it was a bit weird having an extra drum for the parking brake, but I was told the reason was because a handbrake lever can't exert enough pressure on a disc caliper to 'lock' it. Apparently that problem's been solved!

Service is not due for another 2+ months.

Is it normal for the handbrake to "drift" like this? Is it related to pad wear?

I want it to be (and it needs to be) right, so I'll get it looked at.

Thanks!

In my experience it's unusual for rear-disc cars because of that whole mini drum-brake thing, but on cars with drums (Like mine!) I do find the handbrake needs to be adjusted over time as the drum shoes get worn.

Since yours doesn't have the mini drum and is clamping the calipers, presumably it'll have the same problem, i.e. as the pads wear the handbrake will need to be adjusted.

Assuming the rear pads are in good shape, that would point at the handbrake needing some adjustment...

With either rear drums or discs, it should only be necessary to adjust the cable very rarely. Drums and discs have had self-adjusters for decades.

If I had a handbrake problem, the first thing I'd check is the correct operation of the self-adjusters, unless the car was still in warranty, then it's an SEP (Someone Else's Problem), namely the dealer!

On 6/23/2017 at 8:55 PM, bathtub tom said:

With either rear drums or discs, it should only be necessary to adjust the cable very rarely. Drums and discs have had self-adjusters for decades.

If I had a handbrake problem, the first thing I'd check is the correct operation of the self-adjusters, unless the car was still in warranty, then it's an SEP (Someone Else's Problem), namely the dealer!

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they'll look at it under warranty then.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before on the forum, but a lot of Toyota car info is available at:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Menu/Repair

If you create an account you can look at the repair manuals - but they charge!

One thing to note about Hybrid brakes is that there is a pressurized brake fluid reservoir (that noise you get when opening the door is the pressurizing) and this must be 'disabled/emptied' before suspension/brake work can be undertaken. As a person who likes car DIY, this is a 'worry' - probably best leave alone ......

Toyota-tech is a common site on the forum - not all information is chargeable.