Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wiper acting wierd.

JohnP1961

The rear wiper on my pre August 2000 1.8 Avensis hatchback acts very wierd. When I turn it off from either intermitant or consant, it just carries on going, erraticly intermittant, stopping about every six inches of sweep, even though it has been turned off...it does this for ages. Even if I switch off the ignition...it just continues when the ignition is tuned on again. I had read that problems like this could be water in the motor....but surely, three days lying in the temperature we've had in this heatwave with no rain would cancel that possibility out, Does the rear wiper have its own relay, if so, where is it?

This is a known issue on the Mk1 Avensis. The relay is within the motor. I tried fixing but no joy. It worked fine sometimes, then other times it did what your is doing. I found that running the wiper in the on position for about a minute cleared the issue. My fault was worse in intermittent mode. I am sure I read, that the fault could also be in the wiper switch!

The only suggestion is to replace the grommet to make a better seal, source a known working motor and switch.  

• Like 1

Cheers, I may go as far as sourcing a new grommet...at most...thanks for the info

Any other info on the old 7AFE and Mk1 search the subject and include Konrad. I may have experienced or dealt with the problem. 

Good luck :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Will do Konrad, I've heard its a great engine, and up to last month I hadn't had any experience to speak of with working on cars but I managed to change the timing belt successfully...so these other side issues aren't too much to moan about

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links