Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric hand brake question......

valentino46

Hi all, has anyone had the EPB stay on when trying to pull away?   I have 2012 T27, 18000 miles purchased new ,full TOYOTA Service, The epb was replaced 6 months ago because of noise, Today at traffic lights the car was held back by the EPB and after repeated panic attacks on the switch.we  managed to move off ,followed by an alarm sound and warning  sign on the dash.   To be honest I am getting a bit miffed with the EPB . Luckily I have purchased an extended warranty but as soon as that's run out a change of car and handbrake is on the cards     RANT OVER.

Duplicate thread deleted

I had it happen a couple of times and cleared by switching off and on. That was before my clutch change. Then after the clutch change, I had a more serious issue with the warning on the display -

As displayed in the link to my post, it was a bad (or in this case) no connection to the gear position sensor. A person with good diagnostics can trace the fault down. Toyota should be able to tell you what is the fault. Yes get it back to Toyota.  

1 hour ago, valentino46 said:

Hi all, has anyone had the EPB stay on when trying to pull away?   I have 2012 T27, 18000 miles purchased new ,full TOYOTA Service, The epb was replaced 6 months ago because of noise, Today at traffic lights the car was held back by the EPB and after repeated panic attacks on the switch.we  managed to move off ,followed by an alarm sound and warning  sign on the dash.   To be honest I am getting a bit miffed with the EPB . Luckily I have purchased an extended warranty but as soon as that's run out a change of car and handbrake is on the cards     RANT OVER.

Yes, I have had it intermittently over the years. My dealer service supervisor says it's not unusual & there has never been a code retained by the system. My car is also under an extended warranty - just in case ... Obviously with your epb being replaced only 6 months ago it's certainly worth making them aware & get it on record but they probably can't do anything if it is a once in 6 months occurrence.

I think that you are going to struggle to find a new Avensis-sized car without an EPB - even Mazda who were a bit of a hold out have switched to EPB on the 6.

It's probably even the same part used by most of them from an oem (Continental etc.) 

• Like 3

Yes same problem when I had a 2011 model, but it only happened very infrequently and because no codes were stored Toyota refused to acknowledge there was a problem and refused to repair or replace any parts and that was under the new car warranty.

I think the mazda 6 handbrake was still available in 2016 cars.I was currently looking at a 2015 mazda 6 estate which had 1.but as heidfirst says the cars all seem to be going down the dreadful expensive epb route.

4 hours ago, frankie406 said:

I think the mazda 6 handbrake was still available in 2016 cars.

EPB introduced 23rd February 2015 in the UK (on sale date for the revamp) apparently. 

• Like 1

Had the issue just once in 3 years of ownership.  Currently in a 2010/60 TR Estate 1.8 Petrol with 64k on the clock. Out of dealer service now with my local fella.  Would rather be on a manual handbrake but so many are now EPB it's difficult to find to right size car, fuel  and economy option in one package without EPB. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links