Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 1.4 TD how to drain water from fuel filter?

Azzaaaaaaa999

Just wondering if anyone does this themselves, I'm not seeing enough access in the engine bay to unscrew the nut underneath the filter and put a container down, the only way I can see this being easier is removing the air filter box and piping or going from underneath and hoping there's room from the bottom, but I'd likely need a ramp. 

Any ideas anyone? The owners manual says it needs doing every 12k miles but it looks in a PITA place to get at. 

Surely you get the filter drained when the service is done.

On 2017-6-24 at 9:51 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Surely you get the filter drained when the service is done.

I don't let Toyota touch the car after the problems I've had with their service staff. It goes to an independent garage, but they said the fuel filter wasn't easy to change and to be fair I looked in the engine bay and it's positioned on the rear right hand side behind the air filter assembly which does indeed look a PITA to get to. I'm asking if anyone has done this themselves to let me know how to go about it. People do service their own cars on here right? 

The majority of second generation Auris are still within their new car warranty unless the mileage limit has been exceeded, and as self servicing doesn't comply with the terms and conditions of the new car warranty, I would suggest most owners have the vehicle serviced by a Toyota dealer or VAT registered garage. 

The full owners manual covers draining the filter if the appropriate warning message is displayed, rather than stating it should be drained every 12,000 miles (which doesn't match with the service intervals of the 1.4D4D [every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first]).

" It goes to an independent garage, "

Just get them to do it every time it goes for a service? Of course I would be a bit wary of them touching my car if " they said the fuel filter wasn't easy to change." Maybe not easy, but they are the "professionals", yes?

@OP - Is the fuel filter really that hard to get to on yours? In my Mk1 D4D the diesel fuel filter is incredibly easy to get to and replace - right at the top of the engine bay near the windscreen side; I think I had to move/loosen something to get it out but it was a while ago...

For the record I've only ever replaced my Yaris D4D's fuel filter once (Right after I bought it) and in both this and my previous one I've never had the warning light come on to tell me the fuel filter water collector needed to be purged... TBH I don't think it is a thing you generally need to worry about unless your fuel tank is really prone to condensation and you're not filling it all the way up.

According to the service schedule, the fuel filter, dependant on model, is included for replacement at the Full service.

As I said previously, the owners manual requires the fuel filter to be drained if the warning message is displayed. The manual also says the fuel filter is difficult to access.

I replaced my fuel filter at approx 80k miles. The car will show symptom like poor acccel and in my case a fault code and stalling of engine. 

Please also note that fuel filter replacement is not part of the schedule service, I was told that unless requested by the customer - the fuel filter or draining will not be performed. 

I think the service book mentioned about getting it replace every 40k miles. But I think it was over kill. I would do mine again at 60k based on the above experience.

Anyone buying an old car that reaches 40k ~ 60k miles should assume that the fuel filter has not been replaced unless there is service record of it.

14 minutes ago, Perfection said:

Please also note that fuel filter replacement is not part of the schedule service

Service schedules were revised in 2016, and although model dependent, fuel filter replacement is included in the Full servicehttps://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/servicing.json#/ajax/%2Fowners%2Fservice-mot-maintenance%2Ffull-service-details.json - right hand column, 22nd item down.

On 6/25/2017 at 2:14 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The majority of second generation Auris are still within their new car warranty unless the mileage limit has been exceeded, and as self servicing doesn't comply with the terms and conditions of the new car warranty, I would suggest most owners have the vehicle serviced by a Toyota dealer or VAT registered garage. 

The full owners manual covers draining the filter if the appropriate warning message is displayed, rather than stating it should be drained every 12,000 miles (which doesn't match with the service intervals of the 1.4D4D [every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first]).

It's serviced at a VAT registered service centre, it's just going back to toyota unless it's being looked at for warranty as everytime they've touched one of my cars they've broken something or claimed "prove it our fault" (quote from the service manager there), like the seat runner locking in our previous car the Yaris, it locked when moved forwards and wouldnt go back, they released it twice and said we'll replace it under warranty but if it happens again we will refuse it because we believe your learner drivers are breaking the seat runners - a pretty bold assumption...from again the same service manager.

On 6/25/2017 at 5:21 PM, mrpj said:

" It goes to an independent garage, "

Just get them to do it every time it goes for a service? Of course I would be a bit wary of them touching my car if " they said the fuel filter wasn't easy to change." Maybe not easy, but they are the "professionals", yes?

Define professional, if they are a service centre they understand the basics on servicing but cant be expected to have every workshop manual to hand for every car ever made, their problem with the auris was that they'd never worked on one from this generation - so i'd say it's pretty reasonable for them to say it looks rather difficult rather than making a bodge of it.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:08 PM, Cyker said:

@OP - Is the fuel filter really that hard to get to on yours? In my Mk1 D4D the diesel fuel filter is incredibly easy to get to and replace - right at the top of the engine bay near the windscreen side; I think I had to move/loosen something to get it out but it was a while ago...

For the record I've only ever replaced my Yaris D4D's fuel filter once (Right after I bought it) and in both this and my previous one I've never had the warning light come on to tell me the fuel filter water collector needed to be purged... TBH I don't think it is a thing you generally need to worry about unless your fuel tank is really prone to condensation and you're not filling it all the way up.

its on the top right hand side but it looks like the air filter box and pipework is in the way, i need to either replace the filter or drain the water from the filter, but there's barely enough room for my hand there never mind getting a container underneath to catch the water/fuel mix.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:19 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to the service schedule, the fuel filter, dependant on model, is included for replacement at the Full service.

As I said previously, the owners manual requires the fuel filter to be drained if the warning message is displayed. The manual also says the fuel filter is difficult to access.

Yeah i've just read that, it says the belts are in there too, with an interval of 60k, then every 10k afterwards which is a bit of a daft interval...

It's got to go back to the stealers at some point because the oil maintenance wont reset, well, it resets in the sense it goes away (no confirmation of it being done), then comes back up a few days later so i'm due to go up with the page from the owners manual and argue it's a warranty issue as there information doesn't seem to work on my car.

This really is the last Toyota i'm buying, i'll stick with German in the future! :happy:

"......... their problem with the auris was that they'd never worked on one from this generation........"

The second generation Auris (December 2012 onwards) is a re-work of the first generation (2007-2012), carried forward the original Type Approval, and the 1.4D4D diesel engine was a direct carry over. So it won't be substantially different from the first generation.

"........ it says the belts are in there too, with an interval of 60k, then every 10k afterwards which is a bit of a daft interval..."

This information in the service & warranty book is as regards inspection not replacement, and applies to the ancillary drive belts. The 1.4D4D engine has a timing chain rather than a timing belt.

I change mine every 40,000 miles regardless..... It's easy to change but I do remove the air filter box just to make it easier...... 

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

"......... their problem with the auris was that they'd never worked on one from this generation........"

The second generation Auris (December 2012 onwards) is a re-work of the first generation (2007-2012), carried forward the original Type Approval, and the 1.4D4D diesel engine was a direct carry over. So it won't be substantially different from the first generation.

"........ it says the belts are in there too, with an interval of 60k, then every 10k afterwards which is a bit of a daft interval..."

This information in the service & warranty book is as regards inspection not replacement, and applies to the ancillary drive belts. The 1.4D4D engine has a timing chain rather than a timing belt.

That's good then, when it's next due i'll make sure to press them on this and say it needs doing, JFDI ! (just f****** do it!).

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, wastedagen said:

I change mine every 40,000 miles regardless..... It's easy to change but I do remove the air filter box just to make it easier...... 

Just the box, not any pipework etc? I mean it looks a doddle to do, but what threw me was the priming system, I don't have that on my car (skoda fabia) and mine is just a case of removing the fuel pipe and out it pops, is there something different on these with them having the prime function to drain the water from the filter? If not i'll literally point it out next time and say remove this, pull this out & refit new one in reverse...once the warranty is over i'll make sure to do it myself (and make a guide to put on here!) 

19 hours ago, Azzaaaaaaa999 said:

That's good then, when it's next due i'll make sure to press them on this and say it needs doing, JFDI ! (just f****** do it!).

Just the box, not any pipework etc? I mean it looks a doddle to do, but what threw me was the priming system, I don't have that on my car (skoda fabia) and mine is just a case of removing the fuel pipe and out it pops, is there something different on these with them having the prime function to drain the water from the filter? If not i'll literally point it out next time and say remove this, pull this out & refit new one in reverse...once the warranty is over i'll make sure to do it myself (and make a guide to put on here!) 

Looking at the fuel filter, I believe the pipe to the front left is the pipe you leave disconnected for priming..

What I did to identify the correct pipe,  was pull this pipe off and just press the plunger on the fuel pump.. Fuel will hopefully squirt out. 

So once you have replaced the filter, leave only this pipe disconnected and just press the plunger repeatedly until fuel pumps out.... Catch it in a towel or small cup. Then reconnect the pipe and press the plunger again a few more times until it firms up. Then refit all air filter pipework and box and start the car.... 

On 08/07/2017 at 3:15 PM, wastedagen said:

Looking at the fuel filter, I believe the pipe to the front left is the pipe you leave disconnected for priming..

What I did to identify the correct pipe,  was pull this pipe off and just press the plunger on the fuel pump.. Fuel will hopefully squirt out. 

So once you have replaced the filter, leave only this pipe disconnected and just press the plunger repeatedly until fuel pumps out.... Catch it in a towel or small cup. Then reconnect the pipe and press the plunger again a few more times until it firms up. Then refit all air filter pipework and box and start the car.... 

Can't seem to edit my own post, so I quoted myself, lol

Anyways I just wanted to add a pic showing which pipe to leave off while you pump/prime the fuel pump.. 

IMG_20170709_115143-picsay.thumb.jpg.e5010b0324dc73c6e9acd4df8c4f6716.jpg

Hope this helps...... 

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2017 at 7:08 PM, Cyker said:

Hey cyber my mk1 d4d has just had this light and the engine management light come on after it cut out on me twice today within 5 minutes. Luckily i managed to pull over safety twice and the 3rd time managed to drive it home and get it parked up safely on my drive.

Would you please give me instructions on how you replaced the fuel filter on your mk1 d4d as I cannot find anything in the car manual or in the haynes manual and anything I've read so far is extremely vague for an amateur like myself? also did you replace with an original toyota filter or aftermarket one?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links