Do Not Sell My Personal Information

65 plate Avensis Caution

shuggler

Just had my car serviced and mentioned that the bottom fly wheel looked like it was not running true and it had quite a bit of vibration and noise from the engine when starting from cold but calmed down after it warmed up. Went to collect it after the service and the dealer said it needed CRANK PULLER/ TENSIONER/ ALT BELT. looked at and replaced but was covered under warranty. Found this a bit worrying as the car only has 16800mls on the clock, so just thought i would mention it here in case any of you have the same problem.

• Like 2

Well looks like there must be quite a few with this problem as the dealer cant get the parts required to fix the car as they are on back order, apparently there is only one supplier in the uk according to them??? the plot thickens, they will call when they have the parts, wonder how much this repair cost's if it wasn't covered by warranty.

For the benefit of others, what engine does this relate to? I suspect it is the diesel, since the petrol Vmatic does not have a separate tensioner - the alternator is used to tension the belt.

I remember when my crank pulley failed on my old Mk1 a few years back. It wrecked the two belts. I got a Febi replacement pulley for £42 instead of nearly £300 that Toyota were asking! My post at the time - 

It happens on other makes too, but not on such a young car at low mileage. I suspect manufacturing defect.  

Yes it is the diesel 2.0 D4D, KC and the BMW engine they went on to say they get quite few cars with this problem mainly taxi drivers, so unless it has been clocked things not looking good for this car as i wouldn't expect this to happen in a car with this sort of mileage.

• Like 1

Interesting thanks, mine also vibrates at idle and the dealer says it's normal on these, I will have a close look.

1 hour ago, shuggler said:

Yes it is the diesel 2.0 D4D, KC and the BMW engine they went on to say they get quite few cars with this problem mainly taxi drivers, so unless it has been clocked things not looking good for this car as i wouldn't expect this to happen in a car with this sort of mileage.

Hugh, I take back the unusual for a young car and low mileage comment. normally applies to 'Toyota' engines! 

One question. Is the pulley the same design as used in the BMW installation, given that the engine transverse in the Avensis? I may search the parts database later.  

I understand that it is pretty much the same engine as used in the Mini?.

It is the N47 that was used in the previous Mini, 1-series, 3-series and 5-series.

The current Mini and 1-series use BMW's newer 3 cylinder diesel.

On that note, does anyone know which BMW engine is fitted to the Avensis now? sorry if this has been answered before.

2 hours ago, shuggler said:

On that note, does anyone know which BMW engine is fitted to the Avensis now? sorry if this has been answered before.

On 2017-6-27 at 8:32 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is the N47 that was used in the previous Mini, 1-series, 3-series and 5-series.

The current Mini and 1-series use BMW's newer 3 cylinder diesel.

Afaik it does have Toyota modifications though for their usage.

Sorry guys think i need to put me glasses on Doh! Well car goes in tomorrow to get work done, going to ask how many have this problem or is this the first one??

Hi troops, wee update got my car back today, now maybe I should change the title of this post from CAUTION to WARNING!!!. This is what they changed, pulley assemb/crankshaft, tensioner assy, V-RI, and Belt V-Ribbed, COST £722.06. The service manager said they have had about 8 cars in of this age with same problem, it seems the bottom pulley is made of some sort of rubber and is not strong enough causing it to wobble, tensioner spring is also weak, he said the new stuff fitted has been upgraded to sort things out, we will see, just glad that it was covered under warranty, and just to make things worse got a stone hit the windscreen on the way to the dealer yesterday:cursing: