Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 avensis rear brake line corrosion

Edwardius

Ok, the time has come to tackle the dreaded rear brake lines on my mk1 avensis. I have to remove the exhaust and drop the fuel tank to access the lines. For anyone who's done this job in the past how do you tackle the following:

- rusty exhaust bolts... These are completely welded shut, I don't think WD40 will work. What size would replacement bolts be?

- lowering the tank... There will be a couple of litres of petrol left, I have a steel tank by the looks of things, how heavy is this? I can disconnect the fuel pump and return hose from inside the car but is there much to remove from the underside. Haynes isn't massively specific on this. The nuts that hold the tank band seem to be in good condition so I don't forsee too much horror

- Has anyone rerouted the pipes so you don't have to remove the tank/exhaust. That would make the job a lot easier if it can be done safely.

In the absence of a lift, how long is this likely to take and are there any other "gotchas" or tips? I'm very tempted to just pay someone to do this!

needless to say, any help is appreciated!

I've found WD40 to be a bit pants for freeing up seized components. I personally swear by PlusGas dismantling fluid for any pesky rusty nuts and bolts.

PlusGas dismantling fluid

I usually give the problem area a good soaking with the spray the night before. Then in the morning, another good soaking about half an hour before tackling the job.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links