Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rough Idling and Stalling

barras

Morning All,

Wonder if I could seek some advice, I have an '04 Yaris 1.0 which has been parked up on the drive for the last couple of months while some other car changes etc were taking place. When I went to revive it the other day, the Battery was dead so I popped it on the charger. Couple of hours later it was good to go however I notice that when I start it up, the engine races a bit up to c. 2000rpm and then drops back slowly to idle over next five seconds or so rather than immediately like it used to. I also noticed that, while driving fine, when I slowed down at lights or stopped, the idle was often bouncing up and down significantly and most times I bring the car to a stop, it will now rev up and down at idle for a few seconds and then drop so low that it cuts out. This seems to be quicker if the headlights are on as well. In motion, car runs fine, no issues, but I don't seem to be able to slow down and stop without cutting out! Any thoughts most welcome!

I am assuming this is connected to the Battery being dead/the lack of use recently but that may be chance of course I suppose. The vehcle only had a very small amount of fuel in it also when I first started it so added another splash of my local Tesco's 'premium' petrol which seemed to perk it up a little but still not a happy vehicle...

Many thanks, 

Sandy

Sediment in the petrol tank drawn into the injectors...?  

Hi Sandy,this could also be the spark plugs. How long have they been in or checked. Then there are the plug cables,sometimes they as they age can develop cracks in the insulation which open due to the vibration of the engine. One thing that may check this to start the engine in the dark,beware any clothing that may get caught in the moving parts, and see it there is leccy sparks lurking within.You could also spray the cables with something like WD 40 or the one I like,GT85  which has additives if that is the problem. If so change them as spraying is only a stop gap measure

Del