Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to fix key fob

kaliope

I know you'll say the key fob should be replaced rather than repaired this way, but I believe a new key fob is just too expensive

• Like 2

Good idea, using things we all have. Nothing to buy valve covers are everywhere and at a push you can always use the one on your spare wheel.

on eBay in the UK they only cost £5 though.

11 hours ago, Kenny500 said:

Good idea, using things we all have. Nothing to buy valve covers are everywhere and at a push you can always use the one on your spare wheel.

on eBay in the UK they only cost £5 though.

Have used them to replace case & buttons on my key, also have videos on YouTube showing how to do it

what a terrible botch up just buy a new cover

if you going to make a repair then make it look original

if you can't then replace it,if i went to buy a car and it had a repair like that

i would walk away as it looks like you dont care

2 hours ago, eygo said:

what a terrible botch up just buy a new cover

if you going to make a repair then make it look original

if you can't then replace it,if i went to buy a car and it had a repair like that

i would walk away as it looks like you dont care

That's interesting, you wouldn't buy a car, however well-maintained it was just because of the key fob? 

when i buy a car 1st impressions count and if i dont feel its been looked after i wouldn't buy it,

if someone is too tight to spend a few pounds on say a cover for a key fob then i feel they will

cut corners in other areas,ie  buying cheap engine oil not changing the brake fluid every 2 years

buying cheap tyres these are all areas where i will pay top money for, i am not the sort of person that

will cut corners everything has to be done by the book and done properly

Yeah, I walked away from a few cars when Yaris hunting because the keys were damaged or on several cases not even original (One particularly memorable one was a T-Spirit that was advertised as having no remote central locking (Something which comes as standard on the T-Spirit models!); Turned out the previous owner had lost all the original keys and only had a cheap clone job which used a generic RFID but no remote module!)

I wouldn't get fobbed off with a key like that ...

• Like 3

Boom, boom!...Nice one, Mike...I just wish I'd have thought of that one. :biggrin:

To be fair to Paul ( @kaliope ) I actually think that this little tip could get somebody out of trouble for a couple of weeks....OK, it's not pretty but it works and for a quick repair for somebody (Anybody has a pet that might, at any time try to make a "Dog's dinner" out of your slippers or keys) it might help.

I do, kind of like those silicone covers that @Plob came up with.....I might just buy a couple....In Orange, of course! :wink:

Keep up with the videos, Kaliope, Dziekuje Ci :smile: (I hope that means "Thank you" in Polish....I had to Google it.) :blush:

eygo, my both cars are more than well maintained and always serviced in due time or mileage. As you might of noticed, I do most or even all the service jobs myself because first I don't wholly trust garages, then I am keen on cars and finally I love challenge and then making a how-to to help others.  Yes, the key-fob fix is temporary as I've ordered a new case and I just needed to do that quick fix so that my beloved missus could unlock the car. 

No, I'm not that tight and I just ordered a top quality cambelt kit for my Zafira 1.9 cdti. The lot is supposed to be replaced every 90,000 miles or 10 years and I'm going to do the replacement job in August, after 7 years and having done  30,000 only. The cambelt job scares me a bit, I've never done it and if you position the belt wrongly, you ruin the engine. 

That's the kit. I know what I ordered and I know what's gonna be fitted to the car. If you have it done at a garage,you never know.  

4 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Keep up with the videos, Kaliope, Dziekuje Ci :smile: (I hope that means "Thank you" in Polish....I had to Google it.) :blush:

Thanks buddy. Yes, that's the correct translation

paul your solution is a good idea where it is to be used for a short period of time until a replacement arrives

but not for a permanent fix thats all i am saying, for me  if a repair is done it has to look original and not repaired

in the past i have repaired a few door mirrors that have been smashed off , i have re engineered the broken hinge

so the mirror works like new with the original housings still fitted and for me thats a good repair when it cannot be detected

just take your time whilst replacing the cam belt and once fitted rotate the engine by hand a couple of revolutions

then re check the timing marks again just to make sure everything is still lining up,when i had a diesel a long time ago

the diesel pump was driven by a toothed belt and this also needed changing although i left that job to a garage

as it seemed to be a right pain to complete l.

Did the timing belt on my old E30 BMW, was actually a whole lot easier than you'd think, just carefully follow the Haynes manual. I panicked when I'd finished and it wouldn't start so got it recovered to a garage only to get a call to enquire what was wrong with it as it'd started first time when he tried and all tuning smoothly, (though I'd over tensioned the belt). He said it was most likely wet from the coolant when I tried and had dried out before he did! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've replaced the upper part of the case, so as not to lose the Badge on the lower one 

dont you feel much better knowing the job is done properly

Indeed I do, you motivated me a lot with your harsh criticism :) 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links