Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Few Little Mods '17 Aygo

joshfairweather

Hi!

I've got a 17 plate Aygo X-Press, first car! Black and red with black alloys, with X-Shift transmission. I was just wondering if anybody could link me/point me in the direction of a couple things I'm after?

- Metal/Sport pedal covers for automatic. The accelerator and brake pedals are still small even though most autos they are slightly larger. I'm worried some universal clip ons would be TOO big and be unsafe to use. The Aygo pedals are only around 6-8cm long and 4-6cm wide I believe.

- Front and rear bumper diffusers (the small black lip looking things under the main bumper panel)

- Wind deflectors

- Can anybody recommend the armrest from Micks Garage?

- A sportier looking gear stick knob for the X-Shift if anybody has found one that fits?

- Does anybody know the easiest way to change the front X and rear bumper from silver to black? I think the silver looks cheap. I've thought about Plasti dip, wrapping is expensive for such a small area too.

- Exhaust tips that properly fit and make the car look better, not boy racer-ish.

And any other cool interior/exterior mods you guys have on your 14ON Aygo?!

I'm going to make an assumption, based on the age of the car and the fact its your first, is the car on finance at all? I only ask because you need to be careful about the mods you do to the car as it might screw you over if you ever give the car back. It's something to consider when doing things to your car.

In terms of the arm rest, I think someone here has used the one from Micks Garage and they've been pleased with it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

I'm going to make an assumption, based on the age of the car and the fact its your first, is the car on finance at all? I only ask because you need to be careful about the mods you do to the car as it might screw you over if you ever give the car back. It's something to consider when doing things to your car.

In terms of the arm rest, I think someone here has used the one from Micks Garage and they've been pleased with it.

Agent Orange - see 

• Like 2

Hi Josh, and welcome to the forum. :smile:

As Frostyballs has kindly put up a link to my conversation with @AYGOSTU about the armrest from Mick's Garage, all I can do is recommend that you go for one of those, rather than one of the cheap (and very nasty) armrests that you see for under £20 on eBay.  I have never regretted paying the extra for the "Armster"as it is a quality item and looks like original equipment.

As for wind deflectors, I have the "Heko" ones fitted to my Aygo and you can get those from Mick's Garage or from eBay...just make sure that you are buying the deflectors for the correct model (Mark 2, 2014-) and the correct number of doors and they are a very easy fit, less than 10 minutes and look great.

The exhaust tip that I bought was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Stainless-Steel-Car-Rear-Round-Exhaust-Muffler-Tail-Pipe-Trim-Tip-NEW/391686472332?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Which is surprisingly good for the price and still looks good.

I am pretty sure that none of those mods will affect your insurance or finance but please, be aware of the warning from @mickburkesnr and don't go too far.

I can't help you with pedals or gear knobs as I don't like that sort of thing I would say that the one thing that will make your Aygo stand out is...Keep it clean and invest time, money and effort with some "Auto Glym".  The paintwork on our Aygos might not be the thickest in the world....But it doesn't half polish up well!

I hope that helps, all the best. :smile:

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

Yeah the car is on a PCP and I plan on giving it back to upgrade, just wanted to make a few simple visual mods to enjoy the car that little bit more whilst I have it - this is why I thought plasti dip IF I decided to paint the silver, as it's easily peeled off. I think I'll go for the Armster and the Heko deflectors, seem well priced and reliable!

Has anyone had any luck with this sort of stuff? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302324514642 

It's initially supposed to protect the bottom of the car but I feel it looks quite sporty especially on the front and back.

Anybody else made some nice visual improvements to the interior or exterior of their Mk2 Aygo?

13 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Josh, and welcome to the forum. :smile:

As Frostyballs has kindly put up a link to my conversation with @AYGOSTU about the armrest from Mick's Garage, all I can do is recommend that you go for one of those, rather than one of the cheap (and very nasty) armrests that you see for under £20 on Ebay.  I have never regretted paying the extra for the "Armster"as it is a quality item and looks like original equipment.

As for wind deflectors, I have the "Heko" ones fitted to my Aygo and you can get those from Mick's Garage or from Ebay...just make sure that you are buying the deflectors for the correct model (Mark 2, 2014-) and the correct number of doors and they are a very easy fit, less than 10 minutes and look great.

The exhaust tip that I bought was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Stainless-Steel-Car-Rear-Round-Exhaust-Muffler-Tail-Pipe-Trim-Tip-NEW/391686472332?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Which is surprisingly good for the price and still looks good.

I am pretty sure that none of those mods will affect your insurance or finance but please, be aware of the warning from @mickburkesnr and don't go too far.

I can't help you with pedals or gear knobs as I don't like that sort of thing I would say that the one thing that will make your Aygo stand out is...Keep it clean and invest time, money and effort with some "Auto Glym".  The paintwork on our Aygos might not be the thickest in the world....But it doesn't half polish up well!

I hope that helps, all the best. :smile:

Agent Orange what is the size of the stock exhaust pipe on the Mk2 Aygo so I know what size exhaust trim to buy?

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure about the actual diameter of the Aygo exhaust but I do know it's very small.  It's a while ago that I measured it to try and find an exhaust tip that would fit...Not easy due to the angle and the small size but I have in my head that it is something like 28-30 mm.  The Tip that I gave you a link to fits as the bolts are long enough the fit the tailpipe and the join from tailpipe to tip is hidden behind the rear valance.  Once fitted all you see is about half an inch of the tip and the oval end peeping out underneath.  I looked all over the place for one before I took the plunge and I haven't regretted buying it or (In my opinion) seen one that looks better.

Another thing that I have done, might help with your front "X".... I have a Mark one Fire with three doors, in burnt orange (Hence my user name :wink:) and I never liked the way that the rear, side privacy glass did not "join up" to the front side glass (As it does on the 5 door) forming one "Tear drop" area. From the back it was Black window, orange frame, door shut, orange frame, front glass and I wanted it to be more "solid".  I bought a sheet of Gloss Black wrap and a squeegie (That might not be spelt correctly :blush:) and fitted it to the door frame and in front of the rear, side window. The gloss black, sort of, extends the rear windows into the front ones and to my eye, looks how it should have looked to begin with.....Even though I've never seen another 3 door done like this.  I took my time and the results are great....Would that be an option for your front "X" as wrap can be removed with a hair dryer and some time at a later date?

The stuff I got was this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00THL7AV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it did the job with a bit left over, you would need a much bigger sheet to do the front.

Good luck with your Aygo, Josh....Crikey, I wish my first car had been a new Aygo, I had to make do with a clapped out Vauxhall Viva!

All the best. :smile:

1 hour ago, joshfairweather said:

Yeah the car is on a PCP and I plan on giving it back to upgrade, just wanted to make a few simple visual mods to enjoy the car that little bit more whilst I have it - this is why I thought plasti dip IF I decided to paint the silver, as it's easily peeled off. I think I'll go for the Armster and the Heko deflectors, seem well priced and reliable!

I think you're going to have problems. 

I remember when I bought my 107 and I asked the dealership the question of whether or not I could modify the car, he said "Well, we prefer it if you didn't but it's your car". Turned out to be a total lie, and any damage or anything non-spec you will have to Shell out to "fix" when the car is handed back. It could be different for you, I don't know, but it's a stressful situation to be in when you hand a car back and the dealership come after you for various bills.

This would also likely apply to the arm rest, as you need to screw it on to the interior of the car. If it's a non-Toyota part then they will remove it. Well, they'll say they have and they'll charge you for it, but whether they physically do the job or not remains to be seen.

As for the paint, the plastikote stuff is alright but I'm not sure whether it might damage the paint underneath. 

That said, you may end up keeping the car. Personally I did that, and I've never been unhappy about it. You end up with an actual asset which you can use against purchasing another car. Whereas with PCP if you screw up on the payments you can have the car taken off you and you're left with nothing.

4 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

I think you're going to have problems. 

I remember when I bought my 107 and I asked the dealership the question of whether or not I could modify the car, he said "Well, we prefer it if you didn't but it's your car". Turned out to be a total lie, and any damage or anything non-spec you will have to shell out to "fix" when the car is handed back. It could be different for you, I don't know, but it's a stressful situation to be in when you hand a car back and the dealership come after you for various bills.

This would also likely apply to the arm rest, as you need to screw it on to the interior of the car. If it's a non-Toyota part then they will remove it. Well, they'll say they have and they'll charge you for it, but whether they physically do the job or not remains to be seen.

As for the paint, the plastikote stuff is alright but I'm not sure whether it might damage the paint underneath. 

That said, you may end up keeping the car. Personally I did that, and I've never been unhappy about it. You end up with an actual asset which you can use against purchasing another car. Whereas with PCP if you screw up on the payments you can have the car taken off you and you're left with nothing.

Ahh yes course, the Armster needs drilling and upon removal would leave holes in the original interior. Maybe I'll just stick to things that can be removed without trace (pedal covers, wrap/dip, exhaust trim etc)

Not sure why but the metal pedal covers shout to me the most! Although I never really see the pedals I think the boring black rubber look rubbish! :( 

I know I 100% will give the car back, I know at age 24/25 I'm going to want something with a bit more to it in terms of size, power, etc. 

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi Josh,

I'm not sure about the actual diameter of the Aygo exhaust but I do know it's very small.  It's a while ago that I measured it to try and find an exhaust tip that would fit...Not easy due to the angle and the small size but I have in my head that it is something like 28-30 mm.  The Tip that I gave you a link to fits as the bolts are long enough the fit the tailpipe and the join from tailpipe to tip is hidden behind the rear valance.  Once fitted all you see is about half an inch of the tip and the oval end peeping out underneath.  I looked all over the place for one before I took the plunge and I haven't regretted buying it or (In my opinion) seen one that looks better.

Another thing that I have done, might help with your front "X".... I have a Mark one Fire with three doors, in burnt orange (Hence my user name :wink:) and I never liked the way that the rear, side privacy glass did not "join up" to the front side glass (As it does on the 5 door) forming one "Tear drop" area. From the back it was Black window, orange frame, door shut, orange frame, front glass and I wanted it to be more "solid".  I bought a sheet of Gloss Black wrap and a squeegie (That might not be spelt correctly :blush:) and fitted it to the door frame and in front of the rear, side window. The gloss black, sort of, extends the rear windows into the front ones and to my eye, looks how it should have looked to begin with.....Even though I've never seen another 3 door done like this.  I took my time and the results are great....Would that be an option for your front "X" as wrap can be removed with a hair dryer and some time at a later date?

The stuff I got was this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00THL7AV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it did the job with a bit left over, you would need a much bigger sheet to do the front.

Good luck with your Aygo, Josh....Crikey, I wish my first car had been a new Aygo, I had to make do with a clapped out Vauxhall Viva!

All the best. :smile:

Unfortunately that link says item not available now! Although I understand you probably just found it in your eBay history from a while back

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Link goes to "Item has been removed or is not available"

That's strange, I copied the share link from the eBay app! 

IMG_8480.PNG

Hi Josh, if it's the link to the tip that doesn't work then, yes, I got it from my eBay history but here it is from Hong Kong....Takes a bit longer to arrive but I've never had a problem with stuff from the far east:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Rear-Stainless-Steel-Round-Exhaust-Muffler-Tail-Pipe-Trim-Tip-End-/272677945970?epid=507126734&hash=item3f7cdf4272:g:J8YAAOSwX9FZHsMp

It says that it's round but when you see it in place, from behind, It's oval.

If it's the link for the wrap, I got that from my Amazon History and it still works for me, if it doesn't for you then any large sheet of Gloss Black wrap from eBay or Amazon would do the job. (Wrap isn't that difficult to apply and it's quite forgiving)

You do have to drill into the rear cup holder to fit the "Armster" rest and it would be 4 holes, probably not noticeable when you come to hand the car back but also, probably not worth the risk.

Good luck. :smile:

@Agent Orange it was to the trim, thanks! Easy enough to fit and comes with instructions I assume? I'm not much of a mechanic you see.. Hence the easy visual upgrades lol

@Agent Orange Also I notice the diameter of the tip seems double that of the stock exhaust - does that not matter once fitted?

Not instructions that we would recognize, Josh!! :wink:

I think a 10mm spanner, centralizing the tip by eye and tightening up the bolts slowly, clockwise, and in a rotary fashion (A bit tighter and a bit tighter as you go around it) does the trick....Well it did for me!

Best of luck, Mate....You won't need it as it becomes obvious once your putting it on. :smile: 

P.S. Just noticed your last post...Yes it does seem a lot bigger than you would think but the bolts are long enough to do the job and you can't see the join from tiny exhaust to larger tip as it is hidden behind the rear valance.

Not sure whether how the lip skirt protector will look with the existing protector .....

Anybody had any luck with any decent pedal covers? :) 

This is what the tailpipe tip looks like, when it is on the car, Josh: (Sorry, this is the first time that I have uploaded a photo, so I hope it works! :blink:)

Tailpipe.thumb.jpg.c004ac8eb1041122d58262600d7e9034.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links