Do Not Sell My Personal Information

iQ3 tire puncture repair unit.

bokkie

Good evening, all. Two months ago one of my wife's iQ3's tires popped. Unfortunately, the tire sealant kit couldn't repair it and checking the date sticker indicated the sealant was some four years past it's use-by date. That might explain why the sealant leaked from the tire and resembled not much more than milk in consistency. Our local Mr. T quoted around £62 sans VAT. My question is, do they replace the sealant bottle in the box that the electric pump and pressure gauge are in or do they replace the complete box itself? A quick eyeball of the box leads me to think you can't replace the sealant on it's own so you have to discard the entire unit and buy a new one?

I suppose the price isn't a killer but can the sealant units be replaced/repaired by other firms? I need to to look at repairing/replacing very soon so any heads-up you can give about the best way to proceed would be appreciated.

Second, providing you don't "break" the seal on the bottle can you use the unit to pump up your tires? The unit plugs in to the cig socket and it has a small pressure gauge so for tire pressure checking it might be useful for that purpose in addition to sealing punctures. Just an idea...

Many thanks. Peter.

As far as I can remember the pump cannot be used on its own to just inflate the tyres.

15 minutes ago, Soeley said:

As far as I can remember the pump cannot be used on its own to just inflate the tyres.

From the reviews, if the pump is used for the intended use, to inflate a punctured tyre, the pump is fine. Especially as the kit is half the price of just the sealant from Toyota.

Thanks for your help all. I ordered the alternative product from Amazon which should be here early next week. Pity you can't use the kits to inflate tires but maybe it's possible with the replacement kit as the sealant appears to be a separate item.

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From the reviews, if the pump is used for the intended use, to inflate a punctured tyre, the pump is fine. Especially as the kit is half the price of just the sealant from Toyota.

Sorry, I was referring to the Toyota pump kit. It can't be used just to top up a low pressure tyre only good for repairing a punctured tyre.

Hi Peter,

Considering the limitations of the puncture repair kit you might consider a spare tyre behind passenger seat.

This depends on your use of the car and pros and cons of each solution.

The kit may or may not work. Reading reviews it can be an issue to repair the tyre once you use any slime type substance.New tyre may be required.

Of course a spare tyre takes up room behind passenger seat.Attempted to link previous post below.