Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My "new" Auris Hybrid - 2nd Impressions

Catlover

Had my 2010 Auris Hybrid almost 6 weeks now, obviously getting used to it as I have never driven such a car before.

Well, its certainly not for those who like to smell burning rubber. Would be very difficult to do that, unless you have it in POWER mode then all 134bhp comes in. The Hybrid system is obviously for those who 1) want to chase high mpg or 2) want to drive a more environmentally clean car, or a combination of both - like me. It has'nt taken me long to have the mindset that I dont want to be holding others up for the sake of ultimate mpg. I consider travelling slower then other traffic particularly in 30mph areas  could be dangerous. So I accelerate briskly whilst still trying to stay in the ECo sector, but occasionally I do go into the POWER section but only briefly then lift off a little on the accelerator.  And that is the key I think, go with the flow (keep it legal), then back off on the accelerator. I suppose this is the "pulse and glide" method that is spoke of on this forum.  I now tend to keep the graphics on the steering wheel (no big screen on this year model) set to showing "instantaneous" mph (it changes every 4 seconds or so), and its amazing how much fuel can be saved just by reducing pressure on the accelerator pedal.  What helps me get the mpg I am achieving is the "HUD" (Heads Up Display) which I got off eBay for £20.  On this I can see my actual mph (set to TomTom speed) and also a engine rev counter. Its amazing how slow the engine turns, 1000 rpm lot of the time. I put this down to the CVT transmission, always being at the right gear ration at the right time.  Obviously when Battery only is being used then the rev counter drops to zero. Thus another way to tell that I am driving most efficiently - only this reading on HUD is on the screen at eye level, no looking down.  I find the CVT transmission really good, its the first time I have owned an automatic, and I love it. So easy and comfortable.  The ride on my Auris with 17" low profile tyres is a bit bumpy on roads that we shouldnt be asked to drive on (ie pot holed) but the car holds the road very well.  I now have my "really good" seating position, and do feel comfy. I find all the controls are at hand, the only things annoying me is 1) sometimes the turn indicators dont cancel (on the same corners, the indicators on my Qashqai did cancel). This must be a Toyota thing cause the wifes 59 plate Yaris doesnt cancel either. 2) Cant get the right setting for the auto windscreen wipers, still trying hard.  Of course, with the batteries being under the back seat, "boot" space is compromised, but no problem to us two. We can still get suit cases in for a weeks holiday, and shopping is no problem - bags go on the floor behind the front seats so they dont fall over.

Overall,yes, I am falling in love with the Auris Hybrid.... slowly but getting there. MPG - 60.7, I would like more, but considering the way I am driving it I am pleased at that. What pleases me is the fact I can go through some of the local villages, more then a few nearby, mostly on Battery only, therefore not polluting the air that others are breathing, including the young kids in local schools. The car itself has done 64,000 miles, but I reckon the engine will have only been turning for perhaps 40k - 45k, so saving a lot of wear and tear. And of course being able to drive off from rest on Battery is saving a lot of petrol fuel and wear on the engine.  Yes, very pleased.

• Like 3

How long have you had the hybrid now?

I'm approaching 2 years next month, mine was originally bought in July 2010. It's just reached 40,000 now and still feels like a new car. 

Most of the time my journeys are less than 4 miles, but still manage 56mpg average. While going on holiday it definitely improves, last year I went abroad with a big roof box attached and still managed 56Mpg at 70-75mph.

Slowly I'm managing to eek out more miles, and I am managing to get excellent more these days.

Definitely glad I took the gamble and bought a hybrid.

Just about 6 weeks for me, Anthony.  I moved away from a Qashqai which I loved. No reason to get rid of it except I wanted to try a Hybrid, and Toyota was the only choice of Hybrid for me - either the Prius or the Auris. 

I needed a clutch in the verso and a couple of other things. I went for a hybrid for the financial benefits.

Had a service done on Friday and was surprised that they now record a short video showing things like tyres and other items underneath the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some interest has been shown in the Head Up Display I use. Its £20 off eBay, plugs into the diagnostic socket.

Here is a photo taken the other day.  It is said a camera never lies.....maybe so, but it also doesnt always tell the truth. The screen display is usually brighter then what the photo shows. Obviously get the sun coming onto the windscreen and it sort of takes a lot away from the display. The HUD I bought does have a sensor, similar to a TomTom, that dims at night, so the display is not distractingly bright. You can see the speedo is at rest, you can see the two vertical bars, one for Battery condition, one for water temperature, and just above them the rev counter is at rest. The HUD unit needs to be close to the windscreen or the display is to high up and I find distracting. Hope you like.

P1010666.JPG.83155283093e66b4683676353c0c81f3.JPG

• Like 1

On 07/07/2017 at 4:42 PM, Catlover said:

Some interest has been shown in the Head Up Display I use. Its £20 off Ebay, plugs into the diagnostic socket.

Here is a photo taken the other day.  It is said a camera never lies.....maybe so, but it also doesnt always tell the truth. The screen display is usually brighter then what the photo shows. Obviously get the sun coming onto the windscreen and it sort of takes a lot away from the display. The HUD I bought does have a sensor, similar to a TomTom, that dims at night, so the display is not distractingly bright. You can see the speedo is at rest, you can see the two vertical bars, one for battery condition, one for water temperature, and just above them the rev counter is at rest. The HUD unit needs to be close to the windscreen or the display is to high up and I find distracting. Hope you like.

P1010666.JPG.83155283093e66b4683676353c0c81f3.JPG

Does the cable allow a dongle to plug in? 

The cable is fixed into the HUD display unit and the other end plugs into the diagnostic socket under the dash, to the right of the steering in the 2019 Auris.

48 minutes ago, Catlover said:

The cable is fixed into the HUD display unit and the other end plugs into the diagnostic socket under the dash, to the right of the steering in the 2019 Auris.

2019?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:
57 minutes ago, Catlover said:
The cable is fixed into the HUD display unit and the other end plugs into the diagnostic socket under the dash, to the right of the steering in the 2019 Auris.

2019?

2010, but finger slipped ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fat finger syndrom :wacko:

Or else you traded in a DeLorean with a flux capacitor lol

I keep tweaking my driving style, now up to 61.2 mpg, and thats from when I got the car 6 weeks ago, approx 600 miles

On my fuelly.com page, last year I did get close to 60.

That would be 63 or more on the car dashboard.

Hopefully this time I’m due to fill up, my average should go up again. Last year the data was a bit corrupt due to an app bug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its intersting how the adaptations of driving style really impact your mpg. I generally take the approach of accelerate hard (power band) then when up to speed lift off and reapply to keep into first section of 'rev counter', this puts me in electric mode and I can largely maintain speed depending on surface, gradient etc. Further pressure on accelerator as required, and getting really good mpg now.

• Like 1

In my previous post I said I was up to 61.2 mpg after tweaking my driving style. that was over the miles I done since getting the car 6 or slightly more weeks ago. That means it includes various driving styles.  Last night I set the instantaneous mpg display to zero so I can see what my "new" driving style is getting. Its only 60 miles since I did that and I am amazed at the result so far. Am not going to say what it is because its only on an 80 mile sample, what I will say that 60 mile consisted of a long gradient as soon as I hit the main road from my estate, that will be with a cold engine as well, then a 8 mile run on a M-Way doing up to 70mph, then some good A roads, town driving .....the whole lot, then today a shortish run where the engine only just got up to temperature, and if traffic is behind me I am not holding them up by driving slowly.    I will come back when I done at least couple hundred miles.

And cptfredrickson (last post) is right in what he does - welll according to my style of driving that is. Its all in the right foot (throttle pressure.

I have mine 23 months now, 7000 miles done in that time. I find it surprising that the car seems to adapt to how heavy your foot is, but the lighter touch is always better. Today on my way home from work, I got 70+ (excellent).

I did have a lucky journey where there wasn’t a lot of stops and I managed to keep the car moving at a constant speed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links