Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just bought a stunning Auris T180.....but

Strathmoreturf

Hi All,

Just signed upto the forums, but probably should have done a while ago as I've owned a few Toyotas (currently own 2).

I've recently come off my motorcycle, a stunning GSXR 750, and since my wife has asked me to get rid, which I very reluctantly did (caused a fair few arguments I can tell you).

I decided I wanted a fun Toyota so had my eyes on all kinds of Auris t180/SR180's and managed to find someone who was willing to trade one against my bike.

Drove 3 hours, got my car dealer friend to check it out, all looking good except a few bodywork marks that he can get sorted did the trade and drove home.

What a smooth, fast, torquey motor that thing has. Had an absolute blast driving home down all the A-roads - BRILLIANT!

4 days later driving to work, noticed the engine overheating. Tested again next day and same thing, hit 75 and going up engine overheats, back off goes back down.

As I've killed an astra before with overheating I took it straight to TOYOTA, who after a good inspection gave me the worst news, HEAD GASKET FAILURE!

I was literally heart broken at this point. Luckily the deal I'd made with the guy ended with me having some extra cash so luckily the £1000 - £2000 bill I'm going to receive is affordable.

I've calmed down since and dropped the car off at TOYOTA and they're going to do what they can.

How likely is it that the guy who traded it to me knew about the fault but managed to hide it somehow (maybe used Kseal or something)?

I'd like to think he didn't know but some people just don't give a second thought to F-ing someone over.

welcome to the forum Steven :smile:

Well, I would have thought that T180s were generally run by car enthusiasts & the potential head/head gasket issues on the 2AD-FHV are fairly well known ...

Yeah I was fully aware going into the purchase.

Problem is there were no obvious signs.

Car looked pretty clean to be honest (could have been played with prior to me seeing it) and it drove superbly.

Didn't overheat once on the 3 hour drive home and there were no obvious signs under the bonnet.

Toyota have told me it'll be ready Friday, so touch wood all it needed was the gasket kit.

I've also got a 1998 Corolla 1.6SR that I've owned for 2 years,70,000 miles and that has never even made a sign of going wrong.

Welcome to the forum.  I bought an SR180 earlier this year too.

I read about the head gasket issue prior so tried to be extra careful.  I walked away from an SR180 when I was looking for one when I popped open the bonnet and saw sticky coolant had previously leaked all over the fan and intercooler.  Not heard of K Seal before and I don't know enough about cars to suggest how he could have noticed and the masked a coolant leak issue.

Years ago I had an Astra 1.9 diesel and I felt that was quicker with a broader torque curve compared to our T180/SR180s.  Hope the damage is not too bad for you.

Luckily I've got her back now.

Bill ended up being £1090 which could have been a lot worse.

Toyota dealer near me is pretty dam good though to be fair.

Cars running really well so far, just having a few hicups when starting her up after she's been sat over night.

Takes me a good 2 or 3 tries to fire the motor, any ideas?

Yes could have been a lot worse.

Did Toyota not have an opinion on why the motor takes longer to start?  Maybe you need to allow the glow plugs more time to warm up, could point to a fuel filter issue?

I got in touch with them yesterday and they wanted the car is ASAP and gave me a courtesy car in return.

They'll leave it overnight and fire her up this morning so they can see the cold start issue.

The motor isn't exactly taking longer to start, just when you press the start button it doesn't engage long enough to turn the motor.

Got the Auris back yesterday and the problem was simply c corroded earth to the starter button, but they also replaced a bolt that had unsealed and was leaking fuel.

Car is now driving an absolute dream.

That's interesting and glad all is well with the car.

Where is this bolt that was leaking fuel?  Also, was there any blemishes on the ground to suggest some sort of leak?

They didn't give me any more details than that to be honest.

i didn't notice any fuel on the driveway and it would have been easy to spot if there was. 

Must have been a small leak.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links