Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pre shop advice needed

furtula

First, hello to all.

I'm looking to buy an used Auris, around 2009, 2008, and 2010 are also fine if they fit the parameters.

I drive around 9000km per year, so ~5500 miles, so i'd prefer a gasoline engine. Currently i'm trying to decide  between 1.6, from which i found only 5 speed, and 1.4, but 6 speed.

Roughly half of my yearly drive is highways with 8 hr driving time, so i would prefer something that wont scream in the rpms, and i found out 1.6 with 5 speed does 130 kmh with 4k rpm, unfortunatelly, i cant find the same numbers for 1.4 6 speed, but from what i understood, should be lower, and the car lazier, but i'm fine with that.

Generally, i'd rather have 1.6, but having owned mazda 3 before, which is roughly the same with highway rpm's, i think 1.4 would be a wiser choice.

One more important thing i could not find is the auris owners manual, i read the engine is chain driven, i know in most cars it's to be replaced at 250k km / 160k miles, but i could not verify this for Auris. Is there somewhere i can obtain the manuals, without having to pay some charge? I just need to see which service is done and at what mileage

Can you please share your thoughts?

Just to clarify and depending which country you reside in - the Auris had the 1.4 engine with five speed gearbox up to approx November 2008. In Europe from November 2008, the 1.4 was replaced with a 1.33, which came with a six speed gearbox.

Which country are you in and is it the 1.4 or the 1.33 you're looking at?

Service intervals in the UK are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Intermediate services (minor) are due at year one/10,000 miles, year three/30,000 miles, etc. Full services (major) are due at two years/20,000 miles, four years/40,000 miles, etc. Full+ service is due at six years/60,000 miles, ten years/100,000 miles, etc - where additional items such as spark plugs (six years) or coolant (ten years) are replaced.

I currently live in Czechia. I saw few of the ads with 1.4, which said that is has 6 speed gearbox, i assumed this is by default for that year. I thought about getting that model only because of 6th speed and highway.  I would personally prefer 1.6, but was thrown off with bad gear ratios in 5th and the fact is goes around 4k while doing the speed limit. I do see that the 1.33 has a bit more bhp than the 1.4 model, but i dont know if it would be sluggish with ac on, but same question could be asked for the 1.4?

Can you please tell me, the chain is part of major service, or only the checking of the chain is? Also changing at 100k miles, or 160k miles?

The 1.4 D4D (diesel) of around this vintage has a six speed gearbox - are you sure you're not looking at adverts for this rather than the petrol 1.33? 

In the UK, there doesn't seem to be timing chain checks included in the published service schedules.

I checked one ad, it said 6 speed, but on the picture, there was a glimpse of R being far right down, standard for 5 speed, so they made a mistake. AFAIK, R on 6 speed if far top left. I would say they do this on purpose, just to get people there,  would not be surprised at all.  

Thanks for the timing chain info, i was searching for that for 2 days. So, i guess it's down to 1.33 6 speed that should sit nice on the highway, i hope someone will share the 6th speed RPM's doing the limit, as i'm really thrown off by 1.6 doing 4k rpm on the highway, and on 8 hour drive, it's not so nice.

We had a 2011 Auris 1.6 valvematic a while ago.  Ours had the 6 speed MMT automatic gearbox and I'm almost certain it wasn't anywhere near 4000 revs at 70mph.

As a side note ours wasn't very composed at motorway speeds - make sure you have a long test drive before buying.

The ones i found in my price range were either 1.6 with 5 speed manual, and 1.3 with 6 speed, so those models i'm currently taking into consideration. Wish i could have a long test drive, but they all put like 3 liters in the tank when you do the drive, so you dont waste their precious time, and personal ads are almost non existent :/

We've had two Auris 1.33's from new - 2009 and 2012 models. Both were OK on the motorway - relatively quiet, composed, well able to keep up with other traffic, etc. No issues when they're fully loaded. Including journeys of 300 motorway miles, speed range 60-90mph.  

I would say you have answered all my questions, and in quite a short time, a big thank you :)

Do you maybe know the consumption, and RPM  at around ~80 mph?

The ones that are sold here, from what i found so far, were all made in Turkey, i hope the quality is not that far off from your models.

With the first generation Auris, the three door cars were built in Turkey and the five door cars were built in the UK. In the UK, the three door models were dropped from sale when the car was facelifted in 2010 - presumably due to poorer sales of the three door version.

Cannot remember accurately what the rpm was at 80mph - 3000'ish. Motorway fuel consumption around 42mpg with full load of luggage (rear seats folded) and two people - best consumption with similar load 48mpg.

That mpg sounds quite nice honestly, i guess it's time to start searching. 

Hi Dean, re your comment you want a long test drive but only 3 litres put in the tank.  When I was buying my 2010 Auris Hybrid six weeks ago I had to travel 40 miles to the dealer selling. I asked on the phone before I went could I have a long test drive 25-30 mile.  That was no problem to them, and thats what we did, I was happy and they got a sale. I hope you get sorted.  You right to go for a 6 speed.  My wife had a 5 speed yaris 1.4 diesel, and when I drove it I was wanting to move to 6th gear, but of course it was not there.  I bought a 1.4 diesel for myself but made sure it was a 6 speed gearbox.  The wife now has the 6 speed and I have the Auris Hybrid.

Just for reference in my 1.6 6 speed Auris 3000rpm is just slightly under 75mph. Good motorway cruising speed. Though sometimes I feel its still a little "short" compared to other cars which cruise at 2500 or so at 75-80. 

Jez

19 hours ago, Jezclax said:

Just for reference in my 1.6 6 speed Auris 3000rpm is just slightly under 75mph. Good motorway cruising speed. Though sometimes I feel its still a little "short" compared to other cars which cruise at 2500 or so at 75-80. 

Jez

That is interesting. That means the Auris is geared at roughly 24 mph per 1000 rpm. My Avensis will be showing 2600 to 2800 rpm at similar speeds. I would have to go above 3000 rpm and showing over 80 mph. From memory the the 5 speed Auris was geared at 21 mph per 1000 rpm - 3300 at 70 mph. My old 1.8 Leanburn Mk1 Avensis was geared close to 23 mph per 1000 rpm - a bit over 3000 rpm @ 70 mph. The 6 speed gearbox generally adds a 'short' extra ratio to the existing 5 speed. The engine torque has to be able to pull the top gear ratio. That is why diesels are geared 30 mph per 1000 rpm, or more. They have nearly double the torque. I had a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 that was gear at 26 mph per 1000 rpm, on it's 5th gear. That is virtually the same as my 6 speed Avensis! 
It's the balance between economy and drive-ability. Some lower geared cars are more quiet and economy is not affected by the gearing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links