Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So how reliable are Landcruisers?

Ibb

I'm really thinking about making the switch to a 2004-2007 Landcruiser LC5, I've currently got a 2005 Range Rover Sport and am at my wits end with it!, constant expensive faults, now the electric handbrake is making funny noises after taking it off road and the stereo has packed up!.

Ive made the decision to sell and was considering making the move to a Toyota, I'd be really interested to hear from owners of the 3 litre D4D models, also I've noticed they seem to hold their money really well, is buying one that's been well maintained but has 110-150k miles on the clock an issue with these?, I'd also be really grateful if someone could let me know what to look out for when viewing one.

My mate had Landcrusier and he didn't  complain and I never heard of them being not reliable, but I would like to hear opinion from somebody that has own one for longer time.

Hi

I have had my 2006 LC4 for almost 10 years now. It has done 24000 when I bought it and now it's done 104000. I have never had any problem with it. I have only ever put tyres and an exhaust on it, nothing else. Oh I had the cambelt changed at 90000 but that was when it should have been changed. It is a brilliant motor both daily and especially in the snow. 4x4 never even required. I wouldn't swap it for anything else. Looks good, is rugged and very very reliable. Good luck

I was told to look at what they use in the Austrailian outback as it's the one place on Earth you don't want a car to break down on you. They said you only ever see Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols. You would never find a Land Rover.

Plus, looking at eBay for second hand versions, even a 20 year old Landcruiser sells for about £5,000.

So yeah, they're going to be way way way more reliable than a Land Rover.

I've spent over £4K in 15 months of ownership putting things right on the RR Sport, have honestly just had enough now and would never buy another LR product.

Is the air suspension on the Landcruiser pretty trouble free?, it looks like they're really well equipped for off road use too, getting the handbrake and stereo sorted this weekend then  my cars going up for sale.

8 minutes ago, Ibb said:

I've spent over £4K in 15 months of ownership putting things right on the RR Sport, have honestly just had enough now and would never buy another LR product.

A friend of mine works on the production line for Land Rover in Solihull, and he told me he'd never buy a Land Rover. He see's how they're built, and he said a lot of it is half baked because you're in such a rush to fit the part that to do it properly would slow everything down.

Also about 18 months ago I was in a petrol station and a chap in front of me had one of the new Discovery Sports, and was filling it up with diesel. Except, it was pouring out like a waterfall under the car. He was an older gentleman so I went to him and pointed it out. He said he couldn't understand it, the tank is full he thought but the fuel meter said it was empty. I asked how long he had the car (thinking it'd be still in warranty) and he told me he picked it up 15 minutes previously! I was astounded at that.

But you're right, I think the Landcruiser is a far better option than the Land Rover in terms of relability. Doesn't have the same Badge persona as the LR's do, but a Badge doesn't stop you breaking down (as you well know). 

1 hour ago, mickburkesnr said:

A friend of mine works on the production line for Land Rover in Solihull, and he told me he'd never buy a Land Rover. He see's how they're built, and he said a lot of it is half baked because you're in such a rush to fit the part that to do it properly would slow everything down.

Also about 18 months ago I was in a petrol station and a chap in front of me had one of the new Discovery Sports, and was filling it up with diesel. Except, it was pouring out like a waterfall under the car. He was an older gentleman so I went to him and pointed it out. He said he couldn't understand it, the tank is full he thought but the fuel meter said it was empty. I asked how long he had the car (thinking it'd be still in warranty) and he told me he picked it up 15 minutes previously! I was astounded at that.

But you're right, I think the Landcruiser is a far better option than the Land Rover in terms of relability. Doesn't have the same badge persona as the LR's do, but a badge doesn't stop you breaking down (as you well know). 

I agree, they're a complete nightmare!.

To be honest the Badge doesn't bother me now, I think newer LR/RRS have become really pretentious and that puts me off too.

I was considering an ML or GL Mercedes as I've heard they're ok for reliability but they lack off road ability, for turn the key and go reliability it seems you can't beat a Landcruiser so I'm going to go for one and hopefully not look back.

• 3 weeks later...

My parents own a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon. (4.2 6 cylinder TD manual). They bought it in 2005, only thing to go wrong on it is the A/C. It's done 196,000 miles and has full service history. Never ever broken down.

They switched to Toyota after their Range Rovers were shocking for both fuel economy and reliability. (TLC gets 23mpg ish around town, newer ones are hell of alot better). They are awesome machines. I have no idea why people do not buy them here instead of JLR, shame the EU has banned the proper Land Cruiser from sale. :(

Do not buy British cars, buy foreign. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, Ibb said:

I'm really thinking about making the switch to a 2004-2007 Landcruiser LC5, I've currently got a 2005 Range Rover Sport and am at my wits end with it!, constant expensive faults, now the electric handbrake is making funny noises after taking it off road and the stereo has packed up!.

Ive made the decision to sell and was considering making the move to a Toyota, I'd be really interested to hear from owners of the 3 litre D4D models, also I've noticed they seem to hold their money really well, is buying one that's been well maintained but has 110-150k miles on the clock an issue with these?, I'd also be really grateful if someone could let me know what to look out for when viewing one.

lc 5 disel 3 ltr D4D 14 year old never let me down 120.000 serviced once a year the only time oil put in same with coolant.

serviced regular and apart from brake callipers exhaust tires. 

has had air con pipes replaced and new condenser and navigation tft and dvd  navigation unit 

• 3 months later...

Bit late with this but I want to put my 3 peneth worth in.

I have owner 4 now,3 from new and my current one which is a 2005 LC4 with 88K on the clock,everyone of them have been fault less.Just get them serviced regularly ( once a year) and you cant go wrong.Before buying my first I had a Discovery and then a RR but they were in the garage more than on the road.As the Aussies say if you want to go into the desert get an LR,if you want to get out again get an LC.

I rest my case.

• 1 year later...

Just bought a land cruiser 55 plate to replace a td5, considered a lr 4 but reading the scare stories put me off..  the land cruiser -open the bonnet and look for corrosion on the wing area there also is a hole (designer?) which needs a grommet to stop water ingress.