Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too expensive!!!

YarisHybrid2016

Just throwing that out there. :)

What do others think? According to a 2016 Auto Express article, the Mirai in the UK is £66,000, whereas the car is said to be going for $57,000 in the USA (~£44,000).

Why is this car so expensive? I understand the technology is new, but seriously - if they want this technology to become mainstream, they have to make the cost much lower.

I think we in the UK are also being ripped off in this instance. How is the car £20,000 cheaper in the USA?!

• Like 1

Fuel cell cars won't become mainstream until government invests in the infrastructure and expands the availability of hydrogen.

The Mirai is the equivalent of £69,000 in Germany.

cars are cheaper in the USA - less tax for 1 thing.

They are expensive because of the R&D cost & because they are being built in very,very low nos. Even at those prices Toyota are losing money.

It doesn't really matter what the theoretical list price is either - they aren't available for private sale in the UK as the few available are all going to fleets etc. to gain experience - it's effectively a beta test.

Think it's interesting to see the disparity in prices between the USA and the UK when you look at things like games consoles and other tech.

Quite often a PlayStation or Nintendo will be sold in the USA for about $299. When it gets to the UK, the price then becomes £299.

Aside from the tax implications, I think currency exchange rates are a factor too. The world is run by the US greenback, not Britain's sterling. So all projections are made via the dollar, and if the pound goes up against the dollar then it's good news for the supplier. If it goes down though, they're losing money.

Remember Prius coming out all those years ago and everyone saying, Hybrid? It will never catch on............well here we are today and Toyota will have a Hybrid in just about every model by 2020

When the Hydrogen infrastructure is better and more manufacturers get on board, prices will tumble, its just a matter of time

Yes, it will catch on, but will it be as early as 2020? I would add few more years, but one thing I'm sure that it will be worth waiting for the breakthrough in this case, could turn out to be great investment/money-wise opportunity. 

On 13/07/2017 at 5:25 PM, ferox said:

Yes, it will catch on, but will it be as early as 2020? I would add few more years, but one thing I'm sure that it will be worth waiting for the breakthrough in this case, could turn out to be great investment/money-wise opportunity. 

Yes, a HYBRID in nearly every model by 2020, NOT a Hydrogen :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

i am sure I heard lexus are dropping hybrid for full electric on their LS model... may catch on

• 3 years later...
On 7/6/2017 at 12:50 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Just throwing that out there. 🙂

What do others think? According to a 2016 Auto Express article, the Mirai in the UK is £66,000, whereas the car is said to be going for $57,000 in the USA (~£44,000).

Why is this car so expensive? I understand the technology is new, but seriously - if they want this technology to become mainstream, they have to make the cost much lower.

I think we in the UK are also being ripped off in this instance. How is the car £20,000 cheaper in the USA?!

Base uk model in uk is £44k. Fully loaded is £66k