Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare key

Dereklad

Hello iv just bought a 2006 aygo and love it.

it came with just one key and i think itll be a good idea to get a spare..i just need a key as ive got a viper alarm fitted and it controlls the locks..

anyone know a place to get a cheap key or know ideo of cost..love these aygos..😬

Thanks

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

Could try Timpsons.

Hi Derek,

I'd like to know if somebody can point us in the direction of a new, spare key as well.

I still have the two originals, the one that is in your photo that remotely controls the locks and the spare that is just a "blank" with no lock/unlock buttons on.  The spare (blank) key opens the car manually and starts the car as it has a transponder inside and is slightly smaller in size than the key you are holding.

The last time I tried to get a spare, I went to "Timpsons" (The shoe repair/key cutting shop that is in most shopping precincts) and was quoted £140......Yes, that's One Hundred and Forty of our British Pounds :ohmy: for a key with the correct code inside.  I also tried in my home town at the local Cobbler....(Yes, we still have a Cobbler's shop....This is Lancashire, after all :wink: ) and they quoted £129.

I really don't know why Car Keys are so expensive, these days, You could buy a Tablet or a Car Stereo for a lot less.  I'll watch this thread with interest, Derek and thanks for posting it.

All the best. :smile:

Edit:  P.S. I see that Frostyballs has also suggested Timpsons, whilst I was typing, so that could be a good bet.

One hundred and fourty flipping quid..i could go to spain for a few days with £140..😳🔫🙈

Part of the reason car keys are expensive is the security aspect. Making the key an expensive item to replace will, to a degree, act as a deterrent to anyone copying a key.

I totally agree with your point, Mike but surely, if you have proof of ownership or have some kind of relationship with your Toyota (Or any make, come to that) Dealership, then some kind of discount scheme could be applied for those, honest, folk who just want a spare key.

I mean, £140.....At least ***** Turpin wore a mask! :wink:

Edit....Looks like I should have called him by his Sunday name...Richard Turpin!

Sorry, there is a company up North that does a complete service. The basic like you need or flip keys, repairs to circuit boards the lot. They are very helpful. But the bad news is l can't find the dam telephone number.

lt would have cost me only €20 odd to cut a C3 key for my GF and post it back and l'm in Germany. I saw them on eBay.

I paid a local shop key cutter to make my copy it only opens one way in the ingnition.  He was jumping up and down saying that the metal broke 2 of his blades. That's my Emergency key only.

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

I totally agree with your point, Mike but surely, if you have proof of ownership or have some kind of relationship with your Toyota (Or any make, come to that) Dealership, then some kind of discount scheme could be applied for those, honest, folk who just want a spare key.

This is not a Toyota issue it is common to all manufacturers. I have to get lots of keys in for sales cars where they are missing (not handed in by previous owners) and £250-£300 is not uncommon so your £140 is not as bad as it could be. A Ford one I wanted recently was £340

Back in 2003, when we ordered two new Mazdas on the same day (a 323 and a Premacy), Mazdas at the time only provided one remote key and one manual key. As we each used the cars, we ordered a second remote key for each - cost then was £150 for each key including programming. 

So £140 for a replacement key 13 years later, comparitively isn't bad.

I agree that high key prices are common to all makes and I did try to allude to that in previous posts, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.  Just to confirm that the £140 and £129 figures quoted were for the basic, non remote key (The spare or "blank" as I called it) and neither Timpsons, nor my local Cobbler could supply a remote key, with the lock/unlock buttons on it, as this (They said) can only be purchased from a Toyota dealer, at a much higher cost, although I have no idea what that cost is.

Derek asked about a basic, spare key as a back up and that is what I was trying to help with.

Sorry for any confusion. :blush:

Now if Toyota could do a replacement, remote key for the Aygo of the sort that folds back into it's own fob/grip, then I might be interested in it. :wink:

32 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Now if Toyota could do a replacement, remote key for the Aygo of the sort that folds back into it's own fob/grip, then I might be interested in it. :wink:

The current Aygo comes with one manual and one remote folding key ......  again, we bought a second remote folding key when we got the Aygo. Think this retails from a Toyota dealer for around £150 including programming - we got ours for £108.

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

if you feel competent at transferring the transponder http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fits-Toyota-Aygo-2-Button-remote-key-FOLDING-TYPE-CONVERSION-KIT-shell-VA2-blade-/131526835576? Of course you would also have to get the blade cut.

Hi.

Only been searching since l saw the post. If this Address helps just one person, before you use them promise yourself 

and me.

To send a £5.00 to the  Epilepsy Society Chesham Lane, Chalfont St.Peter. Buckingham SL9 0RJ

Tel. 01494-601 300

Charity number 206186

Store this like l did you never know.

http://www.car-keys-online.com/

Just remembered something, if you only have one key, they can sometimes make a copy from a photograph.

How bad's that. 

Anyway thanks for the responces,dident mean to open a can of worms..

ive emailed toyota in erdington birmingham by me and hopefull ill have a responce soon,and see what my financing options they can offer me so i can afford a spare key 😒

Im scared to mention ill need a spare  fob for my viper alarm ,it might kick off in here..🤐

IMG_1330.JPG

Depending on the alarm model, new fobs on eBay range from £49 upwards. Need to check which alarm model you have

Similar remotes for the 7141V - eg

https://www.incarmusic.co.uk/7141v-viper-car-alarm-remote.html

Used ones obviously less

Great link frost thanks my fob is a 7141v.

so is there a little black alarm box in my car somewhere with the alarm model onnit..

cant see it under my bonnet or in the car..

where would they  normally put an alarm box in an aygo..

IMG_1329.JPG

As the fob has 7141V on the reverse, presumably that is the model number.

Right ive had a call off the toyota place by me and the chap said for a blank key no central locking controll,it cost about £90 quid and ill have to bring my log book in and either driving licence or passport for id..

thats £37 for the key and £50 for the centre to do the coding or whatever they do..

now i know..💵🤔

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links