Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New to me RAV4.3

2StrokeSteve

Hello, 

My Mk1 Yaris D4D has done it's job and I'm off to pick up a 57plate RAV4.3 2.2 D4D XT4 tomorrow, one owner full svc history 69K miles.

I had a few sleepless nights after reading about the head gasket issues/oil burning issues.... but got hold of my local Toyota (Parklands) who informed me it went back for the engine rebuild because of excessive oil burning. So should be ok on that front.... 

Is the head gasket still something to worry about after the rebuild? It got up to pressure on a 30min or so test drive (mix of town and a blast up a dual carriage way) but it's been a long time since I took the header tank cap off of a hot car, there was no sign of staining etc, might it be worth driving it down to my father and getting it pressure tested while it's under warranty? 

I suppose a head gasket can go on any car.... I was also looking at a Hyundai i40 tourer but go put off by gearbox and DPF issues..... apparently they have a tendency to dump fuel into the sump...so went with Toyota for their "reliability" doesn't help my father rang up last night asking for information about the head gasket issue as he had one with a head gasket gone not long after having a new one installed.... 

Anyways I suspect it will be on my mind for a few days...then I will forget about it until it goes... 

EDIT: I'm also looking at doing a few things like fitting cruise control, is there a the Lindop chip for the 134hp 2.2D4D and is it worth it? 

Cheers, Steve

Blank off the EGR valve it will stop the carbon build-up on the pistons, We ran two Rav4's identical mileage, type of journeys the one that was not blanked ended up with a new engine, the one that is still blanked is still on the same engine, both 2.2 D4D's you will not get any black smoke if you boot it, and it will run very cleanly. And it's a very easy job.

Ok thanks for that info. 

I picked it up today and it seems fine... 

One thing I'm not sure one is the water level, when hot it drops but returns when cold, I don't know if I just having panic attacks for no reason..... 

Cheers, Steve

11 hours ago, 2StrokeSteve said:

One thing I'm not sure one is the water level, when hot it drops but returns when cold, I don't know if I just having panic attacks for no reason..... 

That sounds odd, water expands when hot so it should be the other way round (if the level changes at all).  It's the expansion (or header) tank's job to store the 'expanded' water from the radiator when hot, then the radiator sucks it back in again as it cools.

Perhaps you have an air lock somewhere, so when the water gets hot it fills the air gap, then as the system cools the air forces the water back out?  Does the heater work ok on full heat?  If the heat comes in waves it could suggest an air lock.  Check the coolant level in the radiator (not just the expansion tank), it should be full to the brim.

edit - check with the engine cold - the coolant can be under high pressure and there's a scald risk.  It'll do no harm if you open the radiator cap when the engine is cold, then run the engine with the cap off til warm, and watch to see what happens to the water level.

^^^ Agree...ought to be the other way round...higher level when hot...at least that's what my current Toyota does (as per all the other ones I've had)

Neil

Ignore me....seems to be working fine, dim light and dim head.... topped it up to full so I have a better idea of the levels. 

Just a bit worried about the head gaskets problems that are going around and probably over thinking things and worrying myself... I've got 3 months to keep an eye on oil/water levels and get it repaired under warranty, knowing my luck it will be fine to 3 months and a day. 

So far so good, returning about 50mpg on a mix of dual carriage way and A/B roads. 

Just need matts and a boot liner me thinks. 

My 4.3 has just gone and I have those mats. Genuine Toyota. PM me.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links