Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota auris T180

Cassie

Please help
I've purchased a used toyota auris T180 my dream car a few days ago in a private sale and the power steering suddenly stopped working as I was driving. It frightened the life out me I must say. The diagnostics machine my mechanic used isn't coming up with a fault code. He did say ecu though I'm really disappointed as I always buy toyota and never a problem. Surley this is a dangerous fault that needs attending.  Luckily I was able to stop safley and people stopped and pushed me to the side of the main road and wait for recovery.  Please could you advise me on what to do from here as this is totally unacceptable in saftey respects as this was highly dangerous. I love my new car. 

Hello Cindy - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As it was a private sale, unfortunately you have little comeback against the seller. Although, you could seek the advise of someone such as the Citizen's Advice Bureau to confirm this.

If it is the power steering ECU, you could look at getting it rebuilt, which would be cheaper than a new one. Some members have used ECU Testing in the past - http://www.ecutesting.com.      See what your mechanic says.