Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oil filter wrench size

bonjo

anyone knows the size of the wrench for removing the oil filter on RAV4.2 petrol 2L? I am referring to the solid ones (not chain or strap) you use with 1/2" drive

is there a tightening torque for the filter?

Nock a screw driver through it and turn off ,put it back on just hand tight 

49 minutes ago, ffej said:

Nock a screw driver through it and turn off ,put it back on just hand tight 

You can't with this type, it's s paper cartridge in a  re-usable solid canister that is screwed on.

Got one in my garage and will post the size tomorrow. 

thanks for the taking the trouble

I thought on my car the filter is a single disposable assembly (this is the petrol model)

The reason for the wrench is to be able to torque it and clean removal. I have used the screw driver technique on another vehicle where the filter was very tight & I could not use my strap wrench

This is some of my oil filter wrenches.

IMG_4205.thumb.JPG.434b92c276958a0c9532717f28c526e3.JPG 

The third tool I bought from Machine Mart a few years back. Current version - https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht719-two-way-three-jaw-oil-filter-wre/

The following is for the cartridge type filter on my Vmatic engine-

P1000983.thumb.JPG.c7e5c0a1a5d12a5151a64031b3f1d625.JPGP1000986.thumb.JPG.65b658e446fb56da7eca19dc05eb5b6c.JPG

I also the the above filter removal tool of a friends Mk2 Prius which is the older canister type, as it was the correct fitting! Bought from eBay.

Lastly is a standard adjustable grips that a perfect for oil filter removal -

P1130189.thumb.JPG.144009b26e183b845a5b82dfe6cece18.JPG

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

looks like you have the tools for all types of filters!

I have used the 1/2 drive with a fabric stap but it doesn't always manage to unscrew the filter and is a destructive tool plus you cannot use a torque wrench to tighten the filter. Don't know if there is a spec for it.

I am after the type similar to the one in your second picture.

BTW how good is the "Clarke CHT719 Two Way Three Jaw Oil Filter Wrench" you mentioned?

3 hours ago, bonjo said:

looks like you have the tools for all types of filters!

I have used the 1/2 drive with a fabric stap but it doesn't always manage to unscrew the filter and is a destructive tool plus you cannot use a torque wrench to tighten the filter. Don't know if there is a spec for it.

I am after the type similar to the one in your second picture.

BTW how good is the "Clarke CHT719 Two Way Three Jaw Oil Filter Wrench" you mentioned?

The "Clarke CHT719 Two Way Three Jaw Oil Filter Wrench" is very good because the more force on the socket handle, the tighter the jaws. I had no problems removing a filter, but could dent a filter in severe situations - normal I would be replacing the filter anyway. A thick cloth around the filter will help.  

thanks very much for the info. If I cannot get the right size "cup like" wrench,  I will get a 3 way wrench as you say the damage is irrelevant as the filter is renewed.:smile: