Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Yaris

Tricky1138

Hi all,

I'm off to look at a Yaris for sale tomorrow. I've got a MR2 and had a RAV4 in the past but sold that a few years ago.

I've got a baby on the way so need a 4 seater car so thought I'd look at Toyota again, and someone at work is selling a Yaris.

Its a 2005 1.3 Colour Collection with only 52k miles, but I checked the MOT history and it got an advisory in March for "Underneath Sub frame corroded"

I know where the sub frame is on the MR2 (and mine is rusty too!) but where is it on the Yaris and is there anything else to check out of?

Should I avoid it?

I assume it is the rear suspension subframe - which has a suspension cross member running to both sides of the car to which the suspension is mounted. Yes, they all rust and it looks horrible. I Dinitroled ours when we bought it 2 years old.. it is now 14 and not rusty.

I would wire brush off the flaky bits, and buy two 0.5 litre aerosol cans of Dinitrol (ebay) and spray it to slow down the rust. You could use Waxoil but it is vastly inferior  and easily washes/abrades away.

Best done when car is dry underneath and it is a warm day. Use a facemask as the particles are small. And overalls, a hat and gloves. I did a 2004 VW  People carrier for a friend a month ago - rust at rear.  As above but 4 cans..  

(You will need a pit or a hoist or ramps.. I used a pit)

• Like 1

Thanks. 

Glad to know they all look rusty, guessing the MOT tester was just covering his back to mention it.

I've had land rovers for years so know about waxoil and Dinitrol so if I do go for it then I'll get a couple of cans and give it a once over.

Will see if I can use my mates pit, otherwise I've got a set of ramps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links