Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear speaker size?

JohnP1961

I've looked on here to try to find out what size Speakers I need for a straight swap to replace the Rear Speakers in my 2000 Avensis, but still not sure. Is there a definative answer? Obviously, I dont want Speakers from a toyota dealer....just a /reasonable/decent pair off eBay, etc

17cm is the max size.

I installed 16cm Speakers with self made spacers, to all four doors in place of the old damaged Speakers. The sound improvement was great. The sound was better than even my current Mk3 set up - deep bass, strong mid-range with good stereo separation, and detailed treble. All behind the original grill. 

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats this all about? Halfords are saying this car has 13cm component Speakers in the rear doors???? I cant see toyota fitting component Speakers as standard. Are the originals 13cm?

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/halfords_speakers_guide.pdf

Konrad, how did you make the spacers?

Its a new Pioneer head unit and there are Pioneer coaxials in the front which sound great. I cant decide on which replacements will be best...for no more than 30 quid. I would have gotten the same as whats in the front but they've been in years now and probably no longer made. The head unit is new....and destroys the sony that I had in before and that was an upgrade from the standard sony that died

2 hours ago, JohnP1961 said:

Whats this all about? Halfords are saying this car has 13cm component speakers in the rear doors???? I cant see toyota fitting component speakers as standard. Are the originals 13cm?

http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/halfords_speakers_guide.pdf

Konrad, how did you make the spacers?

Its a new Pioneer head unit and there are Pioneer coaxials in the front which sound great. I cant decide on which replacements will be best...for no more than 30 quid. I would have gotten the same as whats in the front but they've been in years now and probably no longer made. The head unit is new....and destroys the sony that I had in before and that was an upgrade from the standard sony that died

For spacers I used 6mm fibre board from B&Q. I made a template using the speaker aperture of the door frame, and the outer shape. I measured the depth to clear the glass which did not matter with the rears, but critical with the fronts since the Speakers are mounted higher and the windows are lowered. It all depends how deep the Speakers you are going to fit. The clearance of the grills in the door cards, was just right. Here is an extract of my answer to a post from 6 years ago.

When I fitted the Speakers and MDF spacers, I measured the old speakers to get the right spacing. The speaker is mounted close to the tube of the door card grill, but clear of the window path.

Mk1 Avensis speakers are similar to Mk2 fronts, the Mk2 rears are a little different, but the rule still applies.

I used the same spacing all round, but the fronts had to be right because the speakers are mounted higher. There are more freedom with the rear speakers, as they are mounted lower in the door, plus the glass only comes down part way.

Here are pictures of my installation taken only last week.

post-76861-0-31501700-1301448889_thumb.j front door

post-76861-0-79504900-1301448957_thumb.j front door

post-76861-0-84153600-1301449035_thumb.j rear door

post-76861-0-45791300-1301449069_thumb.j rear door with card/grill

You may need to do a test install.

• Like 1

I need your advice, Konrad.

I have ordered PIONEER TS-G1733i 6.5inch, 17cm Speakers to go in the Rear doors of my Pre August 2000 1.8 Avensis Hatchback and they are due to arrive tommorrow. I have just taken the door card off the door and taken the original speaker out. It is a 13cm speaker,(Halfords were right),  and the hole in the door where it goes is around 14cm,.
Was the original speaker in the Rear door in your pictures above, also 13cm or was it bigger?

The details Pioneer give for the Speakers are

• Cut-out Hole : 128 mm
  • Mounting Depth : 38.5 mm

If I am to able to get these 16.5/17cm Speakers to fit at all I will need another adapter of some sort because the original adapter is permanently fixed to the original 13cm speaker. I am trying to clarify this before I try to fit these new speakers and perhaps am unable to and lose the opportunity to return them. I would appreciate details of how you drew the template to cut the MDF to fit the speakers....sorry for seeming dumb. I am only interested in the rear door fitment

20286769_1480910845298664_8267857377239935396_o.jpg

John, when I measured for fitting the speaker, I measured the depth and then looked at specifications of the Speakers I was going to fit.

I also measured the original speaker/bracket to gauge the depth to the grill from the door aperture. IMG_0540.thumb.JPG.f3d1a24edee248864a03deedb1c6f068.JPG

The door aperture to speaker grill/door card IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.5aa3130368a9ad821953951360629254.JPG 

The depth behind the door aperture to the protection bar/door skin or lowered glassIMG_0574.thumb.JPG.d123b85291819d02d32dc6455e77eb91.JPG 

I used 6mm MDF to help with the depth and dampen the bass vibrations IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.77dfc6702e52787621724dea53735a0a.JPG 

You may need to protect the MDF, as it will deteriorate over time! I got it right for the JBL speaker used, because it fitted behind the grill of the door cards without touching, and for the fronts, cleared the glass when the windows were lowered. The MDF baffle/spacer was cut to the shape of the door aperture and accommodate the speaker. I place plastic sheets behind the speaker to protect from rain if the glass is lowered.

You need to make one spacer as the test sample. What I did is cut out the basic shape, then widen the diameter gradually for the speaker. Once you are happy with the fitting, you can make others using the first as the template. That's what I did and made four. I actually made two test samples before I was happy. 
I can't give actual measurements, since this was long ago and no longer have the car. 

Due to the speaker being lower in the door, they can sound not as loud from the front, but since my Speakers had tweeters, the overall sound was good with nice stereo imaging, solid deep bass, and detailed treble.  I liked the way the tweeter shows from behind the grill - IMG_0277-1.thumb.JPG.90c580a558467fa558abeafe5d5791ed.JPG

The photos are from 2010 and 2011 when I added the fronts and spacers. 

• Like 1

Many thanks, Konrad, I think I've gotten the gist of it. (After studying all your posts on the matter) Judging by the dimensions of these new Speakers, I think they'll drop right in to the door aperture but rather than screw them directly on to the metal of the door, I think I will make up wood baffles, if for nothing else but to improve sound. THe Head Unit has some very fancy equaliser, etc controls and can even set things for where you are sitting....and more. Looking forward to getting these fitted.

Many thanks again

• Like 1

Job done...thanks for the tips, folks

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links