Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Late 2015 onwards avensis 2.0 diesel

Jake 55

Hi all, 

Thinking of changing motors, due to another child seat being required and a wife running out of  clutter space the time has come to change my current "dare I say it on here" 2004 Seat Leon TDI 150 FR with 170000 pretty much trouble free miles on the clock. German engineering seams to come with a substantial price tag these days and I'm not convinced I can justifiy it, We have a Toyota urban cruiser in the family circle which seams to be trouble free and a nice drive. All other experience of Toyota is well build and reliable motors from the nineties, I've test drove a 2015 face lift Avensis and have to say I'm happy, I currently have my eye on a 2015 onwards Avensis 2.0 diesel busness plus which seams a good drive with neat finish and the space I require, the only issues I have are in the BMW engine department, timing chains and crank pulleys etc, I would love to hear some feed back on the pros and cons of this model, 

Thanks Jake.

Check when the beemer engines were first fitted, a 2015 might still be the Toyota engine (but I'm not sure).  Broadly speaking it seems the japanese manufacturers are better at building petrol engines than diesels - and the Toyota petrols are pretty good at economy.

• Like 1

If it is the diesel 2015 facelift, it will have the BMW N47 engine - which was modified for Toyota's use.

See also - 

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Check when the beemer engines were first fitted, a 2015 might still be the Toyota engine (but I'm not sure).  Broadly speaking it seems the japanese manufacturers are better at building petrol engines than diesels - and the Toyota petrols are pretty good at economy.

Hi Alan, 

I've got a thing for a diesel motor giving better economy over my twenty to twenty five thousand miles a year usage, never done the maths with current petrol versus diesel engines.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If it is the diesel 2015 facelift, it will have the BMW N47 engine - which was modified for Toyota's use.

See also - 

Hi Frosty,

some good info on here which makes me wonder if I should stay clear of this N47 motor altogether, giving my current motor has 170000 thousand on it with just regular oil and timing belt services, I do like the avensis tho, I'm interested in buying from the mainland as this is the home of evey second motor over in my neck of the woods, it just means I'm cutting out the middle man and saving a little cash. With the Toyota five year warranty you would like to think they would cover the pulley issue if it arises? Apart from that the timing chain issue seams to be buried in BMW history, although some dealers don't apply the same level of cover if the car was not purchased and serviced at their franchise.

any recommendations for locating a quality used 2.0 busness plus model?

a diesel probably makes sense for your annual mileage & I would have expected the pulley issue to be covered by Toyota's warranty as long as you do not exceed the mileage limits (100k).

My advice for anybody with a modern EU 5 or 6 common rail turbodiesel (from any manufacturer) is to only run them within warranty ... They are too complicated (particularly emissions) to have the bullet proof reliability of old units & the cost of repair can be high.

The 1.8 petrol is very good, reliable etc. & not too far behind the diesels in mpg (probably ~40mpg rather than 45-50). Very few late plate ones around though.

• Like 2

yea, there's no doubt that if you do happen to be the unfortunate sod that gets caught out by complicated engine issues it can mean the end of the road for a 100k plus motor. Your only hope is keep it well serviced and exercise the engine through its full operating range, after that its"hope for the best"with electronics etc.