Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brown marks on headlining

TMatsuo

Hello,

I have recently noticed brown marks develop on my headlining.

I thought something had sprayed on it but you can feel the spots as you run your finger across. The Toyota garage I bought it from thinks there may have been a chemical reaction. 

They want me to pay for a new headlining but I know this is not my fault.

Any one else had this problem?

Many Thanks 

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Hello Tomo - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Unless it is a reaction to some hair dressing or similar - does your head or the heads of passengers touch the headlining?

Moved to the Yans club.

I have this on the headlining of my 107, and I'm more than sure it's down to rust. The 107/C1/Aygo's had a problem with water ingress via the ariel which would collect in the cockpit light. I got mine fixed under warranty, like an idiot I didn't push to get the headlining changed or checked. But I know for sure there was water there.

So you may have water over a period of time, and this is the rusted water seeping through?

could it be rust comming from the inside of the roof and seeping through the headliner ?

it doesnt look like it soaked through the headliner though.

it will be a tough job fitting a new liner without bending it as they fit it through the front before the windcreen is put in at the factory and the back hatch  is narrower.

I took it into the garage that I finance it from and they took it off and said the metal work was spotless. 

Could the glue have leaked/melted in high heat weather?

9 hours ago, TMatsuo said:

I took it into the garage that I finance it from and they took it off and said the metal work was spotless. 

Could the glue have leaked/melted in high heat weather?

Hmm

Taking off a headlining does not take 5 minutes.. It takes a lot more.. and replacing it is usually a skilled job.No-one just "takes the headlining off " unless forced to.

I may be wrong but I think they just looked at it and told you a story.

I have had experience of this from older cars - drops of rusty water from under the roof. Either a leak or water in the car condensing on the roof underside on a cold night..  Are the carpets dry? Has it rained a lot locally? Is the car left outside at night?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

Taking off a headlining does not take 5 minutes.. It takes a lot more.. and replacing it is usually a skilled job.No-one just "takes the headlining off " unless forced to.

Exactly. You're costing them money by asking them to investigate the issue, and for them to take the headlining off is a long horrible job to do, let alone put it back.

What did the finance company say the brown spots were from?

I think they may have taken it off as they had my car all day. They haven't seen this issue before but they think a chemical reaction has occurred from something being in contact with the lining (cleaner or something). 

I can irrefutably say that nothing has been sprayed in the car. 

I found this link about a Suzuki SX4 that had a similar issue: http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sx4-forum/53624-brown-spots-appearing-ceiling-my-sx4.html#/

Go back to your Toyota dealer and ask them to raise the issue with Toyota GB.

The current stance is that the warranty department/whoever is in charge is prepared to offer a 20% contribution to its replacement but the replacement is £1000.

As you can tell I'm not happy 

Tell them you know there is a glue issue, quote the above Suzuki example and - as above - ask them to approach Toyota UK.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links