Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle from front of engine bay

matt1234

Have a slight issue , not so long ago I was replacing the rad and the two bolts that connect the top to the beam at the front of the car . One went in fine but the other went in but had a slight resistant when it went down but still did managed do it up tight and solid.

The rattle occured after this and I'm thinking I might of cross thread the bolt and it making it way out of the thread . Correct me if i'm wrong but if the bolt is tightened by hand mostly all the way like near to the end of the thread and then do it  by socket and ratchet and then spanner to double check it not loose anymore it not cross threaded . I know you can over tighten it but I never do it up stupidly tight as I know the consequences . (Stipping). Just so I can ease my mind as not had a look yet as been busy that if you can do the bolt up with socket ................ e.t.c as previously said above its fine . Would you not be able to tighten it up if it was cross threaded because surely you would of stripped some of the thread leading to it spinning and not  tightening .

The reason why I ask is because then I can look else where at the front of the engine .

Sometimes a cross threaded bolt will still screw in, sometimes it's too tight to move, or sometimes it breaks.  Luck of the draw.

Poke around the area - if you can hear a rattle when driving around it should be easy to replicate (or rule out).  If the bolt is cross threaded and therefore not holding the rad tight - either re-fit it threaded properly, or fit washers under the head so that it holds tight.

Okay thank you but you said sometimes it screw in when cross threaded surely it will fall out as it is not in properly correct me if i'm wrong 

Only if it hasn't screwed in tight.

Another thing is if you can do it up by hand all the way and then tighten it up by spanner until its very hard to turn basically stops then is that good because surely that will be tight so wont fall out .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links